Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:39 am

Been reading this thread and most people seem to hold status with SPG unlike me.

Debating with myself on staying at this place or the Andaz Wall st for 2 nights in late April. Can get the Andaz for about $100 cheaper per night. My lovely GF however loves W hotels. Worth it as a non-status holder?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
I'd go with the Andaz. I stay at a lot of Ws and am generally a big fan, but this one is my least favorite. Don't think I'd spend the extra money, especially without status.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here last weekend and was pleasantly surprised.

The design is what I would call "core W" - with the "Good morning" rugs in the lift, lighted walls, funky music and a crazy lobby (Barcelona, Montreal, etc). I would imagine that most people on these forum would be too mature for this kind of thing. Not me.

Customer service was also unusually sharp for a 4 star hotel - frankly, particularly sharp for a W which I find tends to have service issues. As a Gold I was upgraded to a view of Ground Zero which I know is a real upgrade, but even not being American I found the idea of Ground Zero as a tourist attraction a bit hard to stomach.

Downtown is a bit of an inconvenient location for me, although I've found a new Wall St cocktail bar I've become addicted to. Somewhere I'd stay again, and often if it were more conveniently located.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:31 pm

Hello,

I'll be staying at this hotel in late May with not status. Does anyone have anything to share about W Downtown's "Acura Experience"? Ie do I need to book way ahead or is it first come first serve? Does the driver refuse tips like some other Ws?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Central90210
Does the driver refuse tips like some other Ws?
What?! My experience in NY is that they all expect the tip!
Used the Acura there ones - it's first come, first serve. And you have to reserve early in advance.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I would never rely on the Acura. If you get a free cab ride out of it you're doing well.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:48 am

Thanks Andie007 and EuropeanPete!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
Hello,

I'll be staying at this hotel in late May with not status. Does anyone have anything to share about W Downtown's "Acura Experience"? Ie do I need to book way ahead or is it first come first serve? Does the driver refuse tips like some other Ws?

Thanks in advance!
Definitely first come first serve, and they take reservations up to one day in advance max for in-house guests.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:24 pm

Great stay

Just wanna report back. Stayed here 4 nights a few weeks ago.

Most staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the lady at the concierge desk - she even remembered my name and greeted me accordingly. Housekeeping was also very friendly and even offered to help with my luggage when checking out, definitely not within her responsibilities!

The Acura car service was also consistently available to me on a short notice (ie. sometimes in 15 minutes notice), I always see two Acuras parked outside. Drivers were friendly and acted very surprised when I tipped them (not sure if it was genuine surprise or not though).

Spectacular room was a bit spacious for NY standards, though both the room and bathroom designs have terrible use of space, tons of wasted space everywhere. Room also aged quickly, lots of chips and scraps here and there.

Tip: not sure if this is commonly known, but you can use the Acura car service from any Ws in town (i.e. Times Square to Downtown).
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The design is what I would call "core W" - with the "Good morning" rugs in the lift, lighted walls, funky music and a crazy lobby (Barcelona, Montreal, etc). I would imagine that most people on these forum would be too mature for this kind of thing. Not me.
Same here. I may be balding and middle-aged, but that doesn't mean I have to stay in a balding, middle-aged hotel. (I'm looking at YOU, Fairmont.)

Stayed at this property very recently and was pleasantly surprised.

Location: As several posters have noted, this is really far downtown. Unless your visit involves business in the financial district or Foley Square, this will not be the most convenient hotel or even the most convenient W.

Immediately to the north are a construction site and (beyond that) Ground Zero. As noted above, many of the streets to the north are closed, and nearby tourist foot traffic is remarkably heavy. For a cab, best bet is to walk west 1 block to West St. & look for one in front of the Marriott. If you're into public transit, the #1 train (west-side IRT local, to you old-timers) is very conveniently located 1 block south on Greenwich Ave (@Rector St.) & runs directly to Penn Station.

Check-in: Despite the address, the hotel entrance is on Albany St. (which runs east-west). I'm surprised nobody has noted that you have to take the elevator up to the 5th floor, where reception & the bar are located. (Floors 2-4 are taken up by the gym & other guest service functions.) N.B. If having to take two separate elevators from the ground floor to your room is upsetting, this hotel is not for you.

Although I arrived around 7pm, there was only one person staffing check-in. The line moved quickly though, and the desk agent was friendly and quite efficient. Major ^ for asking without prompting if I had any special requests, and for cheerfully giving me 3pm checkout without an argument. (I have no status apart from pseudo-elite PG+, and too many properties make a mess of granting this member benefit.)

The lobby/bar area really is crazy looking in a fun way, even more so than at the W Montreal.

The elevators (er, "lifts") get a ^ for a) having a proximity reader instead of a slot to "dip" your room keycard and b) enough lighting that you can see the car controls. (Some other Ws -- hi, Seattle! -- mistakenly think the chic and low-lit mystery of the brand should extend into the elevator cars.)

Room: Perhaps because I visited in the run-up to a holiday weekend, I had the good luck to be upgraded from a Wonderful (base) to a Spectacular room on the 16th floor, with superb views of Ground Zero to the north. Like the elevator, keycard access used a proximity reader, simplifying room entry.

Contrary to the experience of some folks, my room didn't show signs of wear. Everything was in fine shape, and the bed was (as usual) super comfortable. I could wish for outlets on the bedside tables & not just on the desk opposite, though, and I didn't have much use for the noise machine. (Note: the Rainforest, Ocean, & Summer Night settings at least make sense, but Heartbeat is a little too Edgar Allan Poe for my taste.)

Blackout shade worked very well, and I slept like a rock. Because construction across the street is still near ground level, noise was not a problem. I imagine that as the building to the north gets taller, this concern will increase accordingly.

Overall: If I had reason to stay way, way downtown again, I'd come back to this property. Granted, I didn't see/experience a number of the services & amenities (gym, Acura, restaurant, or Whatever/Whenever), but check-in and -out were prompt & friendly; housekeeping went out of its way to be friendly & welcoming; and public & private spaces are every bit what you're looking for if Ws are your thing.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Any recent stay reports here (especially as an spg platinum member)?

I'm going to stay there again this october. last stay was nice overall.

so curious about platinum breakfast amenity in effect right now.

thanks in advance.

ps. sorry for my poor english.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Aug 16, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anything recent ?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Not much new to report here. Same as ever. Decent hotel if you don't mind the location in downtown!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
no update for a year....anyone stay here recently????i have a 2 night brg stay coming up next month....got a great $149 per night rate....
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
no update for a year....anyone stay here recently????i have a 2 night brg stay coming up next month....got a great $149 per night rate....
I was here again last year. I still found the staff better than expected for a W, only thing to note is that the weekend parties seem to be a bit livelier - have never heard them from my room though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.