Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy - LIFETIME!!! Titanium ; AA - Platinum 2 Million Miler;
Are there are platinum upgradable categories above Corner Room at this time?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:53 pm

WOW! It's been that long?!

There has been a celebration going on at W New York – Downtown after just reaching our 6 Month Milestone, and we’d like to THANK YOU for your loyalty!! Without your patience and understanding as we got things up and running we wouldn’t be celebrating today. I’ve read through your feedback below and thought it would be a good time to give you all a little update about the hotel and surrounding area….

The deconstruction of the Deutsche Bank is complete. However, there is still work being done as this area is said to become a parking space for incoming busses and tours. The noise is minimal and the removal has opened up a wonderful view to the World Trade Center site and the revitalization that is happening in Downtown, New York City. Really amazing progress is being made every day!

We have been working diligently throughout the hotel to have the rooms and suites completed that each and every one of you is anxiously waiting for. While our suites are still not quite ready, we have revealed 13 Ultra Cool Corner rooms that are among my personal favorite. On top of preparing these rooms, our very own Engineering Team has been working around the clock to complete the little touch ups around the hotel to continue that brand-new feeling.

The frustration when it comes to obtaining taxis is understandable and has been quite a challenge. We hosted a ‘Cabbie Drive By’ for coffee and treats, created air fresheners with our details and sent a text message blast. However, progress has been made we’ve noticed the true improvement has come with time , frequency and knowledge.

I’d like to say THANK YOU for each and every compliment about the hotel, design, and more importantly the Talent here. Our talent really put their hearts into their work and it is wonderful to hear it doesn’t go unnoticed. Maybe I am biased but I truly believe we have the ‘cream of the crop’ here at W New York – Downtown!

I hope this answers any questions, erases any concerns and entices you to join us again soon for another Big Apple escape. We loved having you stay with us and truly hope that you’ll choose our home as your ‘home away from home.’ We look forward to another fabulous 6 months & more…

Cheers!
Sofia L. Vandaele – General Manager
Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:50 pm

Hi Sofia... thanks for the message. Its great to see GMs on here.

On the cabs, for sure its a challenge, but good to hear its getting better. I am pretty sure that a few of your doormen are hitting up cabbies for some cash in exchange for a guest's fare, so perhaps that might explain some of the problems as well?

I saw this happen a couple of times during a stay in December, and on my way out to La Guardia asked the driver about it... he told me he had to pay to get the fare. Just FYI.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
welcome to ft sofia....hope to see more of you here....
Old Mar 28, 2011, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
YEAH SOFIA!

thank you for all the love this past weekend... the team was fantastic... so great seeing some of the gang from Court and Tuscany....

everyone was fantastic... Welcome Desk, the Living Room, everyone....

cannot wait to come back...

i was sad when Tuscany/Court went away... but i'm happy again!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I've stayed there twice in the last month.

I was upgraded to a low floor 8 corner room facing the site and former DB building. They were using pile drivers throughout the evening. I requested a move but was told that there was no where for them to move me. I liked the room. I also had a miserable experience at the bar where my group waited over a half hour for a drink order. Finally, I went to another waitress to ask if she could fill the order (she agreed) and she didn't show up either. The bartender did end up comping the drinks, but it didn't alter the reality of the experience. Oh, I forgot to mention that while we were waiting for our drinks, one of the waitresses spilled a drink on one of my compatriots. Between the noise and the spotty service, I would consider the stay predominantly a failure.

This past Sunday evening, I was upgraded to a much smaller corner room not facing the site - again on a low floor. Unlike my first stay, the hotel didn't appear to be very crowded (based on SPG room availability and pricing), so I guess I anticipated a slightly if not completely better upgrade than my previous visit. Is it possible that plat's already took the better rooms before I arrived at 10pm? Sure, but I if were a gambling man, I would be willing to bet that I didn't receive the best room at check in. Sorry to all FT'ers, but I didn't have the capacity to debate the issue at check in to find out for sure.

This hotel is convenient to my office, but so is the Ritz, which I know isn't subject to some of these issues.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by Score8
I've stayed there twice in the last month.

I was upgraded to a low floor 8 corner room facing the site and former DB building. They were using pile drivers throughout the evening. I requested a move but was told that there was no where for them to move me. I liked the room. I also had a miserable experience at the bar where my group waited over a half hour for a drink order. Finally, I went to another waitress to ask if she could fill the order (she agreed) and she didn't show up either. The bartender did end up comping the drinks, but it didn't alter the reality of the experience. Oh, I forgot to mention that while we were waiting for our drinks, one of the waitresses spilled a drink on one of my compatriots. Between the noise and the spotty service, I would consider the stay predominantly a failure.

This past Sunday evening, I was upgraded to a much smaller corner room not facing the site - again on a low floor. Unlike my first stay, the hotel didn't appear to be very crowded (based on SPG room availability and pricing), so I guess I anticipated a slightly if not completely better upgrade than my previous visit. Is it possible that plat's already took the better rooms before I arrived at 10pm? Sure, but I if were a gambling man, I would be willing to bet that I didn't receive the best room at check in. Sorry to all FT'ers, but I didn't have the capacity to debate the issue at check in to find out for sure.

This hotel is convenient to my office, but so is the Ritz, which I know isn't subject to some of these issues.
Two night stay with 50 $ food and beverage deal per night spend

+
Corner room - very decent
Lounge area on Fri Night - WOW!!!! GREAT ATMOSPHERE
Food and drink in lounge - had the deal so had a few drinks and a bite to eat and was very impressed
Late checkout etc. accorded no problems
Good helpful staff
Sweat gym OK
Great jogging / running near by

-
Told that we could have two bottles of water per night (as plat). First night found one bottle, second night NONE!!!!! Annoying
Taking two lifts is very annoying (personal opinion)
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
first stay

Stayed here last week for one night. As a Plat, I wasn't upgraded upon check-in, though when I asked I was given a cool-corner room, which was very nice. A couple of quick thoughts: It's a very nice property and all very new. The staff was very friendly. I booked the $50 food and beverage credit rate and upon check-in they didn't even mention it??? When I went down and asked they acted as if they were surprised and said 'OK, you have credit.' Gee, thanks...As for location, this is directly across from the WTC, for better or worse. Great location for the financial district, but not if you plan on shopping or seeing shows. It's a very quiet neighborhood, with the exception of the construction...The bar is great and literally hangs over Ground Zero, which is kind of cool and creepy...Overall, a very cool and nice hotel.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:19 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
130 Liberty Street (Five World Trade) may or may not be part of the World Trade complex after construction completion as plans for the site after the deconstruction of the former Deutsche Bank building have changed numerous times. The actual World Trade Center site is 1-2 blocks (depending on how you count) from this hotel. Once 130 Liberty Street is developed, it will block almost all views towards Freedom Tower from the hotel portion of this property.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:01 pm

Anyone know the status of the construcion and noise level around this hotel? I am considering a stay here next spring or summer, but not sure if I am willing to take the risk being a VERY light sleeper. Reviews on TA have been pretty consistent: A lot of noise...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by heakja
Anyone know the status of the construcion and noise level around this hotel? I am considering a stay here next spring or summer, but not sure if I am willing to take the risk being a VERY light sleeper. Reviews on TA have been pretty consistent: A lot of noise...
I was here a few weeks ago. It was decently noisy, but I can sleep pretty well. They had 4 big backhoes digging out dirt 24hrs a day. But they did have Sunday off, the day we left. Noise didn't bother us, but it might for a light sleeper. The view was amazing though.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by millere2
They had 4 big backhoes digging out dirt 24hrs a day.
Ouch, that does not sound too good when we are having a long flight back to Europe - thanks for the warning! Wonder if this is going to be a long-time-issue for this hotel?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:54 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Live construction views of the WTC Site can be seen here
Old Nov 11, 2011, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Live construction views of the WTC Site can be seen here
Nice! Anyone know if the plat treatment has improved at this hotel? Numerous posts on tripadvisor suggest that its not very good...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:14 am

Thanks for the great review!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.