Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
In my understanding I do have some benefits that come with a top status (e.g. Platinum with SPG). There are clear rules, e.g. that room upgrades to go the Platinums (if there is availabiliy). Period.

Denying complimentary room upgrades to top status customers and giving them against "tip" (= bribe money) to no-status/low-status members is on the one side clearly against the spirit of the loyality program and on the other hand against my personal understanding of fair business practice!

Of course it did bring me to what I wanted: I got the room upgrades (despite the "there was no availability" when I asked for a complimentary upgrade) and it did give me back the bribe money.

PS: Attn the Starwood Lurkers. What is your opinion about this topic? Should the complimentary room upgrades (if available at check-in) go to top status customers or is it ok if they go against "tips" to other customers?
You've yet to address that you are a person of your word and benefited from something you are against, regardless of status. Being that your status didn't get you this room, a tip did, and you still didn't ask to be downgraded knowing it was a practice you don't agree with, and the only reason you got your room.(So I take it even if you don't agree with something you'll still use it if it can "bring you where you want." Stand up thing to do.)

SPG is a program, they don't own all of these hotels and at the end of the day the hotels can do whatever they want. Could it possibly be against they "spirit of the program," absolutely, but if SPG was to enforce it and cut off hotels that don't adhere to everything they would be left with almost no hotels in their program rendering the program useless.

As for your understanding of business practices, unless you were born yesterday you should know that business is RARELY fair. You may not like how the world turns but the reality of it is, money gets you places, someone with more money than you and who is more generous than you will receive more and better service than you and better perks. Fair or unfair it is a fact of life. (As you complaining to corporate and getting nowhere and nothing being changed should prove to you.)
Old Aug 28, 2010, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer
In my understanding I do have some benefits that come with a top status (e.g. Platinum with SPG). There are clear rules, e.g. that room upgrades to go the Platinums (if there is availabiliy). Period.

Denying complimentary room upgrades to top status customers and giving them against "tip" (= bribe money) to no-status/low-status members is on the one side clearly against the spirit of the loyality program and on the other hand against my personal understanding of fair business practice!

Of course it did bring me to what I wanted: I got the room upgrades (despite the "there was no availability" when I asked for a complimentary upgrade) and it did give me back the bribe money.

PS: Attn the Starwood Lurkers. What is your opinion about this topic? Should the complimentary room upgrades (if available at check-in) go to top status customers or is it ok if they go against "tips" to other customers?
sorry, but this is pretty twisted. that's like going and hiring illegals and then calling INS when it is time to pay out. you purposefully tried to reap the benefits of the tip, and then turned around and ratted the person out for giving you the benefit. and you want to talk about unfair business practices? look in the mirror buddy.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
you purposefully tried to reap the benefits of the tip, and then turned around and ratted the person out for giving you the benefit.
It's basically a "sting". If someone is willing to take a bribe, they should be willing to accept the consequences.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's basically a "sting". If someone is willing to take a bribe, they should be willing to accept the consequences.
sorry, but that should be left to law enforcement officials... and in a real sting, you dont keep the item you are negotiating for. NARC agents dont personally keep the drugs they acquire in a sting... big difference.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
that should be left to law enforcement officials.
That's one opinion, but if it's not a felony, they're not going to care.

I like the idea of reporting the desk agent to the IRS, too, just in case he's not reporting the additional income.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I've stayed here a handful of times with plt status every time. No upgrades ever.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chanp
I've stayed here a handful of times with plt status every time. No upgrades ever.

Always ask you if there is realy no complimentary suite upgrade for the status customer "available" and try the "trick with the tip". You will see, it can do wonders and "no availability" can turn into "oh sorry, Sir, I just found some nice upgrade in the system"

PS: Another bad habit of some US ho(s)tels, including the Westin Las Vegas, is that they (want to) charge you "resort fees". Do it as I do: Simply refuse to pay that. Period. It can save you lots of bucks.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
and in a real sting, you dont keep the item you are negotiating for. NARC agents dont personally keep the drugs they acquire in a sting... big difference.
But the NARC agents aren't already owed the drugs. In this case, the hotel was supposed to give the upgrade to the Plat member without any runaround. I don't see how this is much different than those who, immediately after checking in without an upgrade, go online to check for availability at a suite and then call the front desk to demand it.

I've stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times. Most of the time, they were 1-night stays. I've never seen a suite there. Once when at the front desk for check-in, I asked if any suites were available. The clerk said, yes, but were not renting it tonight because the owner is coming tomorrow. That's technically within their right, but I'd have rather he just said, no, none are available tonight. I haven't stayed there again since they introduced their "service fee."

I just noticed this addition to their Announcements page:
Suite Policy
Suites are unavailable at this hotel, either for sale or as an upgrade option. Please contact the hotel for further information.

This property is owned by Columbia Sussex, and they have a history of pushing the line with SPG. They own the following SPG hotels as well as hotels with most of the other major brands (especially Marriott):
Sheraton Baltimore - City Center
Sheraton Hotel Newark
Sheraton Philadelphia City Center
Westin Casuarina, Las Vegas
Westin St. Maarten
Westin Bristol Place, Toronto
Westin Casuarina, Grand Cayman
Westin Chicago Northwest
Westin New Orleans
Westin San Diego
Westin Tampa Harbour Island
Westin Washington DC

Westin Casuarina, Grand Cayman:
Resort Charge Policy
The daily USD $20 resort charge includes local telephone calls, pool towels & lounge chairs, in-room safes, in-room coffee, use of steam and sauna rooms in the spa and an energy surcharge.

SPG Participation Policy
Due to unique cancellation policies, all Starpoint Award reservations for this hotel must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Westin St Maarten, Dawn Beach:
Resort Charge Policy
There is a resort fee of $20 dollars that includes in-room coffee, beach chairs, and towels, pool lounge chair, beach towels, unlimited local phone calls, access to the health facility, energy surcharge and in-room safe. Please contact the hotel for further information.

SPG Participation Policy
Due to unique cancellation policies, all Starpoint Award reservations for this hotel must be booked through your local customer contact center.
Westin Chicago Northwest:
Facility Fee
There is a $10 per night facility fee. The facility fee includes: one bottled of water, local and 800 phone calls, overnight self parking and newspaper delivery Monday through Friday. The fee also includes private access for our 18 and over guests to the NW Athletic Club which includes sauna, steam and basketball, tennis and racquetball courts. Please contact the hotel for further information.
There's a reason that Grand Cayman and St Maarten have not been high on my list of places to go with SPG!

OP, unless you're just staying there for the elite stay credit or got a really phenomenal rate, I would recommend that you stay somewhere else altogether. There are much better places to stay in Las Vegas. And you're more likely to get a random upgrade elsewhere -- even without status.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 9:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
It would appear, based on the following, that the mods should change the title of the thread to include the answer: NO.

Originally Posted by sc flier

Suite Policy
Suites are unavailable at this hotel, either for sale or as an upgrade option. Please contact the hotel for further information.
What's even more interesting is the following from their home page (emphasis added): In a city known for glitz and glamour, our 826 guest rooms and suites offer understated style and the utmost elegance.

However, I checked approximately 30 dates from tomorrow through June 2011 and no suites show as available for renting.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: UA G
What's up with the contempt for the $20 thing here? I regularly do the $20 (or sometimes $40 if I'm going to be there a few nights) in Vegas. It's more or less expected in Vegas. Nicely folded between your credit card and ID and you're good to go.

http://www.thetwentydollartrick.com/Hotels/

Also, I still can not justify staying at the Westin when Wynn, Encore, Venetian, Palazzo are significantly nicer, in most cases the same price if not cheaper, and on the strip.

Originally Posted by KSA_USA

may be i should try it next time i am in Vegas, but what if the check-in agent was a decent person and returns my bribe money back?. it is going to be so embarrassing. an experience that i won't forget for the rest of my life.
It's generally accepted that if he can't/won't upgrade you, you'll get your $20 back. There are some bad apples there, but for the most part, they'll give you your money back.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by unavaca
What's up with the contempt for the $20 thing here?
First-world countries are supposed to be beyond the bribery stage.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
I've stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times. Most of the time, they were 1-night stays. I've never seen a suite there. Once when at the front desk for check-in, I asked if any suites were available. The clerk said, yes, but were not renting it tonight because the owner is coming tomorrow. That's technically within their right, but I'd have rather he just said, no, none are available tonight. I haven't stayed there again since they introduced their "service fee."

Quote:
Suite Policy
maybe suites are not available because they are all leased for a long term? or maybe because of renovation?

last year I got a 2 room suite as an upgrade. it was a very basic Westin Suite.

Originally Posted by unavaca

It's generally accepted that if he can't/won't upgrade you, you'll get your $20 back. There are some bad apples there, but for the most part, they'll give you your money back.
I am not worried about the $20

i was just thinking to do what Zurich flyer did.

Exactly, once this cancer spread in a society then i guess we have to welcome you to our Third world.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Are the USA still "first world"?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA G
Ehh, Vegas isn't really like anything else in this country. They use our currency and allow US citizens to enter without passports, but the that's about it. To me, it's perfectly acceptable in Vegas. I'm not going to be trying it at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins, but it's fair game at the Wynn.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by chanp
same here....stayed here twice since becoming plat....no suites for me either....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.