Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Yes atlantic city tips can get you upgrades.

I don't see how this practice is "disgusting" but to each their own. The world revolves around money, its a fact of life. If you tip you are usually going to majority of the time recieve better service and that just so happens equate to upgrades sometimes in the hotel world. Its a fact of life pertaining to a lot more than hotels.

I'd hate to break it to you but 99% of the time the guy who spends more/tips better is going to recieve better service than the one who doesn't. Just as if you yourself had two clients and one was big tipper the other not at all, you are going to do everything in your power to take care of the former. I'm just curious as to what your issue is with this?
I have no issues at all. tip is one thing and bribe is another thing. I fully agree with what you said. but we are not talking about tips we are talking about bribe here.

i have lots to say on this but after reading some of the posts on the link provided by sc flier i guess it all comes down to who cares

I like this (from the link provided by sc flier)

"Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to offer a bribe to a check-in agent: Just spend the money and upgrade through the front desk. It's less of a game and if they've got something you want, they'll offer it (for a price)"

BenjaminNicholas, Post #844
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
we are not talking about tips we are talking about bribe here.
It's only one reason to avoid Las Vegas.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Oh for christsakes that the $20 slide is so tacky!
+1. Plus it's demeaning and humiliating to offer it or accept it. After all, it's a BRIBE. A tip is offered AFTER the service is provided.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Oh for christsakes that the $20 slide is so tacky!

I agree.. you should really be throwing down some benjamins. (Note the plural.) $20 is a joke.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Originally Posted by Delta2010
I am travelling to Vegas on labor day weekend and booked the Westin near the strip for 2 nights. Never stayed at SPG property before. I recently got the SPG CC and have about 41k points in my account (most of these are through new user promo). I donot have any status of any kind with SPG. Not sure but is there a possibility for me to get an upgrade on our room? If there is slightest chance, I want to try it. Please advise.
I'd advise you to pay cash for your upgrades! @:-)

Why would Westin upgrade a non-platinum member?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:47 pm
Suspended

So are you confirming that this practice is normal in vegas? do really people do it all the time?
sorry for going off topic but
i know that this disgusting practice is very normal in many parts of the world, but it would never ever cross to my mind that it's being practiced in the USA, even if its only in Vegas.

what about Atlantic City?

I did it as well in some Las Vegas hotels.

Then, when I got what I wanted, I asked for someone from the management and brought this policy to their attention. In those cases, where I was refused to talk to an executive, I brought the case to the hotel chain's head office's attention @:-)

Don't let the Vegas hotels fool you
Old Aug 27, 2010, 5:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
I have no issues at all. tip is one thing and bribe is another thing. I fully agree with what you said. but we are not talking about tips we are talking about bribe here.

i have lots to say on this but after reading some of the posts on the link provided by sc flier i guess it all comes down to who cares

I like this (from the link provided by sc flier)

"Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to offer a bribe to a check-in agent: Just spend the money and upgrade through the front desk. It's less of a game and if they've got something you want, they'll offer it (for a price)"

BenjaminNicholas, Post #844
Oh I agree with you on that. I tip regardless, if they are helpful and polite. I would never say "Here's $20 if you upgrade me, if not give me the $20 back. It's something that usually pays off for future visits if you will be a frequent guess.

There are times though that if I find out I've been upgraded after tipping them just for check in, I'll go back down and tip them more specifically for the upgrade. For instance I recently booked an entry level suite and tipped the nice gentleman for checking us in, no mention of upgrade from him or I, just a "Hope you enjoy the room" as we were leaving. I get to the room and find out he put us in a 3000+ sq ft. suite, so I went back down and slipped him a few hundred, because I felt he went above and beyond and the upgrade justified it.

Also let's be serious in this day and age $20 is a pretty stingy tip to demand an upgrade to a suite that likely costs 4-5x the rate they are paying.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zurich Flyer

Then, when I got what I wanted, I asked for someone from the management and brought this policy to their attention. In those cases, where I was refused to talk to an executive, I brought the case to the hotel chain's head office's attention @:-)

I'm confused as to the point of your post? So where did taking the case get you? Nowhere I'll assume. Why bother trying it if you don't like it? Also I assume when it worked as you said, you declined the upgrade or afterwards asked to be switched back to your lower end room(or made sure instead you were charged and paid the full price between your room rate and the upgraded one) because you're a stand up guy and wouldn't want to benefit off of a policy you believe is wrong, right?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I'm confused as to the point of your post? So where did taking the case get you? Nowhere I'll assume. Why bother trying it if you don't like it? Also I assume when it worked as you said, you declined the upgrade or afterwards asked to be switched back to your lower end room(or made sure instead you were charged and paid the full price between your room rate and the upgraded one) because you're a stand up guy and wouldn't want to benefit off of a policy you believe is wrong, right?
that's exactly what i was thinking....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 3:10 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I got an upgrade here as preferred plus

After my first night at the Las Vegas Westin in February, I received an upgrade when I was a preferred plus SPG member because the noise level in lower floor rooms at this hotel is ridiculous at all hours of the day and night. I called and asked to speak with the manager and explained that I had (naively) booked this hotel based on its website's claim that it offered a quiet retreat from the Strip. (This was before I found FlyerTalk and read the horrible reviews.) Later that day, after I called again, they found me a room on an SPG floor. That room was quieter, which I appreciated, but it was small and outdated. There is no possible way that this hotel should be a Category 5. I've stayed at Category 2 Sheratons that were much nicer than this. I don't think this hotel even deserves to have the Westin name.

If I had used points to stay at this hotel, I would have felt very ripped off. I hope the OP has a better experience at this hotel than I did.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:14 am
Suspended

Exclamation I am against unfair business practice and against bribe money !!!

In my understanding I do have some benefits that come with a top status (e.g. Platinum with SPG). There are clear rules, e.g. that room upgrades to go the Platinums (if there is availabiliy). Period.

Denying complimentary room upgrades to top status customers and giving them against "tip" (= bribe money) to no-status/low-status members is on the one side clearly against the spirit of the loyality program and on the other hand against my personal understanding of fair business practice!

Of course it did bring me to what I wanted: I got the room upgrades (despite the "there was no availability" when I asked for a complimentary upgrade) and it did give me back the bribe money.

PS: Attn the Starwood Lurkers. What is your opinion about this topic? Should the complimentary room upgrades (if available at check-in) go to top status customers or is it ok if they go against "tips" to other customers?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Of course it did bring me to what I wanted: I got the room upgrades (despite the "there was no availability" when I asked for a complimentary upgrade) and it did give me back the bribe money.
how do you know that the upgrade you got was to a select standard suite????maybe there was no availability of a select standard suite & the suite you 'bribed' to get upgraded to was a speciality suite....
Old Aug 28, 2010, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's only one reason to avoid Las Vegas.
I actually like to go to Vegas with friends. its a different city. we enjoy the shows, restaurants, shopping and the crowds. no gambling ( or bribes ) tho.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Gold Rush
There is no possible way that this hotel should be a Category 5. I've stayed at Category 2 Sheratons that were much nicer than this.
I believe you are confused as to the use of the category classification. The Starwood categories are based on average room rates and are used for determination of number of points needed for room awards, C&P, etc. In other words, fewer points are needed to reserve a room award at a Category 2 than at a Category 5.

The Starwood category is not a quality rating system similar to Mobil or AAA.

Last edited by controller1; Aug 28, 2010 at 7:24 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by DCBob
+1. Plus it's demeaning and humiliating to offer it or accept it. After all, it's a BRIBE. A tip is offered AFTER the service is provided.
it is indeed. ^

Then, when I got what I wanted, I asked for someone from the management and brought this policy to their attention. In those cases, where I was refused to talk to an executive, I brought the case to the hotel chain's head office's attention

Really! you did this .

you have lots of courage to do so^.

may be i should try it next time i am in Vegas, but what if the check-in agent was a decent person and returns my bribe money back?. it is going to be so embarrassing. an experience that i won't forget for the rest of my life.

Oh I agree with you on that. I tip regardless, if they are helpful and polite. I would never say "Here's $20 if you upgrade me, if not give me the $20 back. It's something that usually pays off for future visits if you will be a frequent guess.

There are times though that if I find out I've been upgraded after tipping them just for check in, I'll go back down and tip them more specifically for the upgrade. For instance I recently booked an entry level suite and tipped the nice gentleman for checking us in, no mention of upgrade from him or I, just a "Hope you enjoy the room" as we were leaving. I get to the room and find out he put us in a 3000+ sq ft. suite, so I went back down and slipped him a few hundred, because I felt he went above and beyond and the upgrade justified it.

Also let's be serious in this day and age $20 is a pretty stingy tip to demand an upgrade to a suite that likely costs 4-5x the rate they are paying.
you are very generous. i never tipped a front desk agent. when i receive a phenomenal service or upgrade what i often do is this,

I buy a very nice gift and write a very nice DETAILED letter to the Hotel GM. upon check-out i ask the concierge to deliver the package to the GM office. I always receive a nice reply from the GM.

even though it cost much more than bribing a front desk agent but i find it to be more ethical, effective and fair to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.