Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Smile Is there a possibility of upgrade at Westin Las Vegas with no status?

I am travelling to Vegas on labor day weekend and booked the Westin near the strip for 2 nights. Never stayed at SPG property before. I recently got the SPG CC and have about 41k points in my account (most of these are through new user promo). I donot have any status of any kind with SPG. Not sure but is there a possibility for me to get an upgrade on our room? If there is slightest chance, I want to try it. Please advise.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Delta2010
I am travelling to Vegas on labor day weekend and booked the Westin near the strip for 2 nights. Never stayed at SPG property before. I recently got the SPG CC and have about 41k points in my account (most of these are through new user promo). I donot have any status of any kind with SPG. Not sure but is there a possibility for me to get an upgrade on our room? If there is slightest chance, I want to try it. Please advise.
With no gold/plat status, if you are referring to a complimentary upgrade, slim to none. (Also no specific way to go about "trying it" aside from asking at check in or saying its a special occasion.) You can use points to upgrade or call/email the hotel in advance and ask them if they have a policy on paid upgrades as I've found a few SPG properties do.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
There's not a lot of difference among the rooms at this hotel. The rooms on the top floor are longer. Some rooms have a better view than others, but the hotel is not on the strip. There are only 10 suites, so even most elite members have trouble getting one on a regular basis. If you're using some of those points for this stay, I hope that you're being wise enough to book them as C&P awards.

When you check in, please let them know how much we all hate their service fee. (You might should wait until after they've officially denied your request for an upgrade before mentioning it.)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Delta2010
If there is slightest chance, I want to try it. Please advise.
It's Vegas...slip $20 - $40 between your ID and credit card when handing over to the front desk staff and let them know what you want. For you, it's going to be a much higher % of probability than just hoping you can ask / charm the front desk with no SPG status whatsoever.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by vandalby
It's Vegas...slip $20 - $40 between your ID and credit card when handing over to the front desk staff and let them know what you want. For you, it's going to be a much higher % of probability than just hoping you can ask / charm the front desk with no SPG status whatsoever.
Oh for christsakes that the $20 slide is so tacky!

I've been upgraded to a suite at this hotel, but keep in mind this property has very few suites. All the rooms are exactly alike. the property is not on the strip and it's a long block-and-half to Las Vegas Blvd.

Having no status, I would set me expectations low. You'll must likely be given a regular room on a low floor. If you want a better room, use points, but at this property I don't think that is a good use of points.

I'll suggest reading the master thread on this property, so you an idea what the property is like prior to arrival. Westin Casuarina, Las Vegas 2008 onward [Master Thread]

Again, I wouldn't expect much.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Oh for christsakes that the $20 slide is so tacky!
Well, so is Las Vegas, so it fits perfectly.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by vandalby
Really!!. since when this practice is acceptable in America?

I stayed at this hotel, got upgraded to one bed room suite on highest floor. it is very basic hotel. Vegas has lots of better alternatives. i would not stay there again unless i need a night or a stay credit to qualify for a promotion or renew status.

when in Vegas it is very tough to skip Wynn, Encore, Bellagio, etc.. and stay at the Westin.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Well, so is Las Vegas, so it fits perfectly.
well said....
Old Aug 27, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
since when this practice is acceptable in America?
Only in Las Vegas.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Only in Las Vegas.
So are you confirming that this practice is normal in vegas? do really people do it all the time?
sorry for going off topic but
i know that this disgusting practice is very normal in many parts of the world, but it would never ever cross to my mind that it's being practiced in the USA, even if its only in Vegas.

what about Atlantic City?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
So are you confirming that this practice is normal in vegas? do really people do it all the time?
i know that this disgusting practice is very normal in many parts of the world, but it would never ever cross to my mind that it's being practiced in the USA, even if its only in Vegas.

what about Atlantic City?
Yes atlantic city tips can get you upgrades.

I don't see how this practice is "disgusting" but to each their own. The world revolves around money, its a fact of life. If you tip you are usually going to majority of the time recieve better service and that just so happens equate to upgrades sometimes in the hotel world. Its a fact of life pertaining to a lot more than hotels.

I'd hate to break it to you but 99% of the time the guy who spends more/tips better is going to recieve better service than the one who doesn't. Just as if you yourself had two clients and one was big tipper the other not at all, you are going to do everything in your power to take care of the former. I'm just curious as to what your issue is with this?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:31 pm

Yes.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I think in Vegas, it's almost expected that you'll try it.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
It's very common in Vegas. At some hotels, an employee who accepts a bribe for an upgrade is probably in violation of the rules given by hotel management. At many hotels, it's an accepted practice allowed by management.

I don't know what the actual policies are at the Westin in Las Vegas.

This is the Las Vegas forum's main thread on the topic:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-v...very-well.html
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Sorry to say that it is. And, it's not even a well kept secret, by any standard. I've seen it happen time and time and time again. There are a few websites out there whose sole purpose is to track the percentage of suite upgrades scored by guests of various Vegas properties using the $$$ between the ID and Credit Card trick. In an astonishing number of cases, it works.

Crazy, but true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.