Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife
I wonder if Tambo will allow you to box breakfast and take it onto the train to eat... that would be great use of the long ride
Stayed for 5 days at Tambo two months ago, we made box lunches each day from the buffet with no issues. Hotel was happy to help.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I read up thread (or maybe TA)that it is not recommended to use the taxi in front of the Cuz airport for the trip to TDI but to cross to a lot where there are taxis that go between cities. Anyone know where this lot is located? Any recent experience with transfer from Cuz to TDI for 4 with luggage will be appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I read up thread (or maybe TA)that it is not recommended to use the taxi in front of the Cuz airport for the trip to TDI but to cross to a lot where there are taxis that go between cities. Anyone know where this lot is located? Any recent experience with transfer from Cuz to TDI for 4 with luggage will be appreciated.
I used Taxidatum.com to reserve a car from airport to TDI. They have very high Tripadvisor review and also comes recommended in the forum. Very reasonably priced and you can also pay a bit extra for stops along the way.
This is what I did for Cusco Airport -> TDI: Chincheros,maras,moray sacred valley taxi tour
And for TDI -> Cusco: Pisac ruins and Pisac market taxi tour
Combined it will cover all the highlights in the Sacred Valley. Saves a ton of time as well as money this way since all of these places are conveniently located between Cusco and TDI.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by mjmqm
Stayed for 5 days at Tambo two months ago, we made box lunches each day from the buffet with no issues. Hotel was happy to help.
Thanks yeah hopefully as a Platinum guest and breakfast included in the rate, they will be cool with it
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
I used Taxidatum.com to reserve a car from airport to TDI. They have very high Tripadvisor review and also comes recommended in the forum. Very reasonably priced and you can also pay a bit extra for stops along the way.
This is what I did for Cusco Airport -> TDI: Chincheros,maras,moray sacred valley taxi tour
Combined it will cover all the highlights in the Sacred Valley. Saves a ton of time as well as money this way since all of these places are conveniently located between Cusco and TDI.
This is great. We will definitely use this for our trips.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Thank you for the suggestion. I know that Taxidatum drivers generally do not speak much English and aren't guides. I speak some Spanish and rarely feel a guide is necessary. I have sometimes hired government registered guides at individual locations in Asia and have been generally pleased Since my wife speaks even less Spanish than I do and almost always wants a guide, I was curious if you felt that having a local guide would have helped.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 9:38 pm

Having just returned last week from Peru I hope I'm able to help answer some of the recent questions posted on this thread.

We arranged transportation to/from Cusco with Taxidatum and I woud highly recommend using their services. Prices were reasonable, Cusco Airport -> Awana Kancha -> Pisac ruins -> Pisac market -> TDI in a minivan was US$90 or 290 PEN and Ollantaytambo train station to Cusco hotel was US$60. They even offer a 10% senior discount for rides to/from the airport or train station. Our driver from Cusco to TDI spoke basic English (much better than my Spanish!) and we hired a tour guide (?60-65 PEN) at the entrance to Pisac. Would definitely recommend stopping at Awana Kancha - feeding the animals was one of the highlights of our trip and the store sells very high quality items (albeit at high quality prices ).

We booked PeruRail tickets departing from the Urubamba train station. The hotel asked guests to meet 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time and then walked us to the train station. The Vistadome train was comfortable and the staff members were very nice. We took the Vistadome both ways so I'm not sure if it was worth the premium over Expedition class. If you have some time before your trip I would suggest closely monitoring the PeruRail website as the price for the trains do fluctuate from time to time. And do try to buy roundtrip tickets rather than oneway to avoid the $10 oneway premium. I had a lot of trouble booking the specific train I wanted from Aguas Caliente (1723 departure - didn't work for any of the dozen random dates I picked) and after trying over several days on multiple devices to get help through the chat option and by email (unsuccessful for the first 10+ attempts since chat simply pulled up an email request form which no one responded to), I finally reached a live person through the chat option who helped me book the exact train tickets I wanted by email. For those interested in the Hiram Bingham train I received an offer to upgrade our tickets for USD180 apiece a few days before our trip. T&C state the promo only applies to Vistadome 32 and 604, and ends 4/30/18.

I had the same questions about re entering Machu Picchu because the rules are intentionally? very vague. I booked PM tickets for our first day and Wayna Picchu tickets for our second. We stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge and I had planned for us to shower and check out of the hotel after our hike, and then returning to MP for one last visit before catching our late PM train. Tripadvisor, the front desk staff, the guard at the MP exit, and our tour guide (hired at the entrance to MP) all said we were okay to return right after noon with our Wayna Picchu tickets but I was really afraid we wouldn't be allowed back in. On further questioning our guide during our tour it seems regular ticket holders are allowed 4 hours and Wayna Picchu tickets are good for 6 hours (for re entrance purposes). But how do they know what time we entered I asked? The entrance stamp is color coded!! Ah ha! If someone had told me that earlier I wouldn't have rushed around like a crazy person to get back into MP around noon, but alas now I know and can share with all of you! And one re entrance is definitely allowed.

I was overcharged by TDI on check out. Partially a mistake by the front desk staff and partially because the hotel charges a 3.3 PEN = 1 USD exchange rate. Would recommend asking the hotel to bill in USD to avoid any unnecessary surprises. Was fortunately not hit with a DCC fee. Lastly a family member was robbed at Cusco Airport likely by security personnel while going through the security check. On googling it seems that this is not an uncommon occurrence (by both security and police officers at the airport) so be especially careful with your belongings while in the CUZ airport. Hope this answers some questions!
rny321 and solarbear like this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by brownie20
On further questioning our guide during our tour it seems regular ticket holders are allowed 4 hours and Wayna Picchu tickets are good for 6 hours (for re entrance purposes). But how do they know what time we entered I asked? The entrance stamp is color coded!! Ah ha! If someone had told me that earlier I wouldn't have rushed around like a crazy person to get back into MP around noon, but alas now I know and can share with all of you! And one re entrance is definitely allowed.

Thank you Brownie for spilling the secret sauce!!! I will surely look for the stamp - will post a picture after returning from our trip next month.

And for the Plats on this board, is breakfast included for relinquishing the 500 point checkin amenity?

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Apr 26, 2018 at 7:20 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP

Thank you Brownie for spilling the secret sauce!!! I will surely look for the stamp - will post a picture after returning from our trip next month.

And for the Plats on this board, is breakfast included for relinquishing the 500 point checkin amenity?
Yes. It was. And a great breakfast it was too.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:37 am

Last week, Peru Rail had a 50% cybersale but I found out on the last day and the system would not allow me to book because I have an existing reservation. I was going to book and then cancel my original and take the 10% hit. The sale was 50% for certain trains only but included the one from TDI. $95 to $50.

Back to TDI, anyone booked Sacred Valley tour from TDI? Or know of a dependable local travel company they've used. Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Last week, Peru Rail had a 50% cybersale but I found out on the last day and the system would not allow me to book because I have an existing reservation. I was going to book and then cancel my original and take the 10% hit. The sale was 50% for certain trains only but included the one from TDI. $95 to $50.

Back to TDI, anyone booked Sacred Valley tour from TDI? Or know of a dependable local travel company they've used. Thanks in advance.
For Sacred Valley we just negotiated a day rate with one of the taxis at the gas station stop. We just picked where we wanted to go (Ollantaytambo, Maras, Chinchero, etc). If you want an actual English-speaking guide, there is a tour operator with offices inside the TdI called Tikariy.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Taxidatum also offer tours. The prices and descriptions are on their website. Our driver spoke some English but even if they had none at all a decent guide book will help you and the prices they charge are per vehicle and not per passenger, so pretty competitive IMO.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Thanks yeah hopefully as a Platinum guest and breakfast included in the rate, they will be cool with it
I'm very interested in this option for our day trips. So this was part of the breakfast, and they provided lunch bags/boxes to take out? Who did you work with, the wait staff? I'm interested to know, so that I don't offend anyone!
fdem likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:29 am

One other note, I read somewhere that tap water in Peru was not safe to drink. Has anyone had issues with the water provided by Tambo del Inka, in the restaurants and anywhere else on the property?
Old May 9, 2018, 7:22 pm

i think there's only one entrance stamp but supposedly the color of the stamp changes depending on the entrance time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.