Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:44 pm

An interesting observation

Browsing Wikipedia today, it occurred to me that now *A will have major hubs in/near the largest 6 US cities:
1) New York City (EWR - CO)
2) Los Angeles (LAX - UA)
3) Chicago (ORD - UA)
4) Houston (IAH - CO)
5) Phoenix (PHX - US)
6) Philadelphia (PHL - US)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Pretty impressive!

Last edited by goldfishman; Jun 20, 2008 at 9:42 pm Reason: Oops, flipped Phoenix and Philadelphia
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goldfishman
Browsing Wikipedia today, it occurred to me that now *A will have major hubs in/near the largest 6 US cities:
1) New York City (EWR - CO)
2) Los Angeles (LAX - UA)
3) Chicago (ORD - UA)
4) Houston (IAH - CO)
5) Philadelphia (PHL - US)
6) Phoenix (PHX - US)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Pretty impressive!
Add YYZ, YUL and YVR which are easily larger than at least 3 of the above six cities as airports to the mix, and it's clear that *A dominates the North American continent like no other alliance. Oneworld only has AA to cover the whole continent and AA is very weak in the west coast. Skyteam will have the merged NW and DL but it is so inferior as an airline that I would never set foot on there anyway so long as I have a breath. In any case, their network will be ATL, MSP and SLC focus - not exactly very logical connecting points. I mean why on earth would people want to connect via ATL to go to Europe or South Africa?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by goldfishman
6) Phoenix (PHX - US)

Pretty impressive!

ROTFLMAO!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:18 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Greetings *A,
In doing some research at the *A website I am getting some flights from Italy that seem to be on AirOne (though they are listed as LH flying like Catania-Milan) for example). I know AirOne has a partnership with LH.
Is AirOne in StarAlliance? They are not listed on the *A webpage.

Thanks for any info as I plan for my future non-Alitalia flying and CO connections.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Greetings *A,
In doing some research at the *A website I am getting some flights from Italy that seem to be on AirOne (though they are listed as LH flying like Catania-Milan) for example). I know AirOne has a partnership with LH.
Is AirOne in StarAlliance? They are not listed on the *A webpage.
Welcome to *A,

AirOne is a "fully integrated" airline in the Miles & More FFP and therefore a member of *A.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...1784&cid=18002
Old Jun 22, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Welcome to *A,

AirOne is a "fully integrated" airline in the Miles & More FFP and therefore a member of *A.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...1784&cid=18002
AirOne is a "fully integrated" airline in the Miles & More FFP
- correct

and therefore a member of *A.
- incorrect

AP is not yet a member of Star - you cannot book AP flight numbers as part of a Star RTW ( although most if not all the LH codeshare flight numbers on AP operated services are eligible )
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Guava
Add YYZ, YUL and YVR which are easily larger than at least 3 of the above six cities
Are you sure you want to stuck by this statement? Vancouver isn't even in the top six in Canada! I'm also including San Francisco in this data, as it's a hub and larger than any Canadian metro area:

City populations:
Code:
                           rank
City             pop    N.A.  country
----             ---    ----  -------
New York       8.1 mil   # 2   #1
Los Angeles    3.8 mil   # 3   #2
Chicago        2.9 mil   # 4   #3
Toronto        2.6 mil   # 5       #1
Houston        2.0 mil   # 8   #4
Philadelphia   1.4 mil   #11   #5
Phoenix        1.4 mil   #13   #6
Montreal       1.0 mil   #25       #2
San Francisco  0.8 mil   #34   #13
Vancouver      0.5 mil   #66       #7
Metro area populations:
Code:
Metro area       pop     N.A.  
----             ---     ----  
New York       29.9 mil   # 1
Los Angeles    16.6 mil   # 3
Chicago        10.9 mil   # 4
San Francisco   7.1 mil   # 6
Toronto         5.5 mil   # 9
Houston         4.6 mil   #12
Montreal        3.5 mil   #16
Phoenix         3.1 mil   #18
Vancouver       1.9 mil   #33
Philadelphia    1.5 mil   #46

Last edited by mahasamatman; Jun 22, 2008 at 9:05 am Reason: Reformatted
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
and therefore a member of *A.
- incorrect

AP is not yet a member of Star
Thanks for the correction.

I was thinking that FlyingHoustonian might be interested in earning OnePass miles while flying on AirOne. In addition to M&M, other Star member airlines' FFP including UA's Mileage Plus allow you to earn miles on AirOne. Presumably CO might follow suit?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:01 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Thanks for the correction.

I was thinking that FlyingHoustonian might be interested in earning OnePass miles while flying on AirOne. In addition to M&M, other Star member airlines' FFP including UA's Mileage Plus allow you to earn miles on AirOne. Presumably CO might follow suit?
Yes, once CO changes to *A (end of 09 I'd guess) I will try and change my travel to keep earning OnePass miles. And while LH flies to Catania it is not convient for the connections I need so I was hoping AirOne would do the trick. Thanks for the info.

Ciao,
FH
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
In addition to M&M, other Star member airlines' FFP including UA's Mileage Plus allow you to earn miles on AirOne.
You might want to point this out to the Keeper of the FAQ, aka Kiwi Flyer. The file 'Star Alliance's FFP's Partner Airlines' in the '*A Useful Reference Links' sticky at the top of this forum hasn't been updated in over a year.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Plat
* Alliance & AMEX membership rewards

So upon CO entering * alliance towards the end of 2009, will CP continue to accept AMEX membership rewards transfers and if so will this now allow travelers to book AsiaPacific trips (on *alliance partners) via Continental OnePass?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by Guava
Add YYZ, YUL and YVR which are easily larger than at least 3 of the above six cities as airports to the mix, and it's clear that *A dominates the North American continent like no other alliance.
Actually, YYZ is the only one that would fit in that list, either above or below Houston, depending on whose numbers you use. YUL and YVR are pretty far down the list in terms of population.

The key question will be if Continental brings in Copa, as that would really provide some Latin American coverage that is just lacking right now, every since Varig was dropped.

Greg
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Excited

I always had to choose between flying the best American airline, CO, or choosing a better alliance. Now I get both.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Is there a reason for CO not to bring Copa?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:23 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
http://www.atwonline.com/news/other....=7%2F24%2F2008

interesting comment buried towards the end of the news item

...Continental Airlines and nine Star Alliance carriers asked the US Dept. of Transportation to allow CO to join the group already holding antitrust ............Star said, adding that CO expects to join the alliance in the fourth quarter of next year.

presumably this is based on the much talked about 9 months after DL/NW finalise their merger - first time I have heard anyone dare to give even an estimate of a joining date

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.