Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:33 pm

flying on continental Jan 1 and have most of my miles on united

am flying to asia Jan 1 on continental have most of my miles on United and 2nd most on Northwest- I was going to credit this flight to Northwest. Does this make sense in view of united continental merger?
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by jim44
am flying to asia Jan 1 on continental have most of my miles on United and 2nd most on Northwest- I was going to credit this flight to Northwest. Does this make sense in view of united continental merger?
there is no merger, CO is only joining star alliance.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:09 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by Shangri-La
Do you think that three US airlines can co-exist under one alliance (when one is better than the other two)?
ST still has three operating carriers, with DL, NW, and CO. (Granted, by the end of 2009 it'll be down to DL, but nevermind.) I don't have much experience with any of them, but their reputations and quality rankings differ quite substantially.

As for jim44's question, credit the miles to NW. You can't credit them to UA yet, and there's no use having orphan miles in a new CO account. Also, welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: M&M
I just read on airlineroute.blogspot that CO issued a codeshare renewal application to the US DoT for flights operated by Skyteam partner Air France, and KLM. The current permission ends in March.

What is going on? Wouldn't these application hurt the case for their Star ATI?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
now that CO have announced their exit date from skyteam (24/10/09 for those of you who have missed the thread in the CO forum ) any thoughts on how quickly they can make the transition to Star ?

Is it even theoretically possible that they could have all requirements in place before 25/10/09 and simply transition at midnight ? or is the 01/11 date of commencement of IAH-FRA a more likely date ?

let the speculation begin

and in the meantime CO " congratulations" for taking another step on the road to STARdom ;-)
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
now that CO have announced their exit date from skyteam (24/10/09 for those of you who have missed the thread in the CO forum ) any thoughts on how quickly they can make the transition to Star ?

Is it even theoretically possible that they could have all requirements in place before 25/10/09 and simply transition at midnight ? or is the 01/11 date of commencement of IAH-FRA a more likely date ?
From Continental's e-mail announcement:
"We continue to work through the details of our planned exit from SkyTeam and entry into Star Alliance, but anticipate our participation in Star Alliance will begin promptly after we leave SkyTeam. We are committed to providing our OnePass members with opportunities to earn and redeem miles over an extensive network."

Sounds to me that they are planning to make the switch at midnight. I have no idea how hard or easy that will be. I do know that it cannot be soon enough for me.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Continental gets tentative approval to join Star Alliance

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Continental Airlines Inc. said Tuesday the U.S. Department of Transportation approved tentative antitrust immunity for it to join an alliance between United Airlines and eight other Star Alliance member carriers. A final approval of the immunity will allow a seamless transition of Continental SkyTeam alliance members to Star Alliance this fall, the airline said.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Continental-gets-tentative-approval-join/story.aspx?guid={5B3A240C-6C43-4602-AB1A-370BA6CAE303}
Old Apr 7, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SPG Gold
Feds approve CO joining *A

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...z/6363072.html
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
This is good news.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus Lifetime, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
That's great news However, can't seem to access the link
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Star1997
That's great news However, can't seem to access the link
Yes, more choices to fly to, with less trasnfer I guess
the link does work for me though
Old Apr 8, 2009, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by edsh
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Continental Airlines Inc. said Tuesday the U.S. Department of Transportation approved tentative antitrust immunity for it to join an alliance between United Airlines and eight other Star Alliance member carriers. A final approval of the immunity will allow a seamless transition of Continental SkyTeam alliance members to Star Alliance this fall, the airline said.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Continental-gets-tentative-approval-join/story.aspx?guid={5B3A240C-6C43-4602-AB1A-370BA6CAE303}
This is great news indeed. Based on this, I wonder how much longer before before Continental will be a full member of Star Alliance.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Star1997
This is great news indeed. Based on this, I wonder how much longer before before Continental will be a full member of Star Alliance.
I think CO is leaving ST in October, and that they plan to join *A immediately after.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
I think CO is leaving ST in October, and that they plan to join *A immediately after.
That would be great I thought they were going to take another 1.5 years after October
Old Apr 8, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
My information is that Continental's last day with SkyTeam Alliance is Oct 24, 2009.

My guess would be that they would join Star Alliance on October 25, 2009, subject to regulatory approvals. Presumably, the powers-that-be at Star Alliance have already given the thumbs up!?

P.s. I'm hoping Copa Airlines will also move to *A, but no official word as yet. Last year, Copa's CEO did say he didn't think Copa had much choice but to go where Continental goes (presumably because of their intertwined relationship and common use of OnePass).

Last edited by EMan; Apr 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.