Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
The key question will be if Continental brings in Copa, as that would really provide some Latin American coverage that is just lacking right now, every since Varig was dropped.
Greg

Copa said some month ago that they will follow CO whereever they go. That was when rumors started to appear that CO might leave Sky for a merger. it can be found somewhere in the atw.online archive.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
I was excited about CO joining *A until I had to fly them. I was on govt travel from Nepal (in C)--and the travel agent said that UA was too expensive. So I took Indian Airlines from KTM to DEL and then CO from DEL to EWR and onward to IAD.

I almost didn't make the CO flight. Delhi has the strangest transit process I have ever seen--you get off your plane (here from Kathmandu) and then wait for someone to come and get all of the transfer passengers. They write down your name, passport number, connecting flight, and baggage claim #, then walk you down a long corridor like a group of prisoners of war, and leave you in a transit lounge. I exited that lounge and go to the Continental lounge. An hour and a half later, a Continental rep came for me and walked me out to an area where I had to identify my bag (on a cart by itself) and then she wrote down my home address and asked for my paper ticket. I gave it to her but she left it there (I didn't realize this). Ten minutes later she came back to the lounge and said that she could not get a boarding pass without the paper ticket and we argued over who had it. Half an hour later I finally got a supervisor (or international concierge as she was called) to come and the supervisor said that without the paper ticket, I couldn't board the plane. About 15 minutes more passed as I tried to call State in DC ( and the embassy and cell phone of the guy from State in Nepal, but no one answered. The rep stood there stoned faced and repeatedly told me and the concierge that I had my paper ticket. Even after I emptied my carry-on luggage twice in the presence of both of them, she continued to blame me.

Then the supervisor told the rep to retrace her steps and guess what--she found the paper ticket (but refused to apologize for messing me up)--she came back with my boarding passes about 10 minutes later and boarding had already begun. But my bag didn't make the plane and when I called multiple times on Thursday, ultimately reaching corporate, I was told that the bag was on the plane and that this was verified. But no one knew where it was. So yesterday they determined that the bag was listed as on the plane, but was still in Delhi. So they put it in a special container to be shipped on last night's flight and it seems to have made it. I received calls from both IAD and a supervisor in Houston for CO that my bag is on its way to my house.

But the behavior of the CO reps in DEL was atrocious--blame the passenger and not accept any responsibility for misplacing the paper ticket. Threaten the passenger with not being allowed on the plane. Then lose the bag, claim that it was sent on my flight because there was a written record of it, and then yes a baggage supervisor did apologize when they learned that the bag did not make my original flight but CO had no idea why. It took them the better part of the day yesterday to find out where the bag was--and it turned out that it was in the baggage loading area in DEL all the time.

Bad service is one thing. A bad attitude (mostly on the part of the DEL operatives) is another. I did get some good service from the baggage supervisors but the corporate office I first contacted couldn't have cared less about how I was treated in DEL.

Follow-up: Finally got my bag back. Lots of stuff stolen from it. I guess that's what happens when a bag sits in an airport for 36 hours largely unattended. Way to go Continental.

Last edited by euslaner; Aug 16, 2008 at 3:54 pm Reason: Follow-up
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
euslaner from my previous experiences I knew the moment you mentioned that you gave her the tix that it would be trouble.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guava
Add YYZ, YUL and YVR which are easily larger than at least 3 of the above six cities as airports to the mix, and it's clear that *A dominates the North American continent like no other alliance. Oneworld only has AA to cover the whole continent and AA is very weak in the west coast. Skyteam will have the merged NW and DL but it is so inferior as an airline that I would never set foot on there anyway so long as I have a breath. In any case, their network will be ATL, MSP and SLC focus - not exactly very logical connecting points. I mean why on earth would people want to connect via ATL to go to Europe or South Africa?
If Mexicana had not left it trully would be supreme in NA.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just hope that CO does not start using starnet like UA. As it their award seats in their flights are pathetic.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 5:17 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by euslaner
I was excited about CO joining *A until I had to fly them. I was on govt travel from Nepal (in C)--and the travel agent said that UA was too expensive. So I took Indian Airlines from KTM to DEL and then CO from DEL to EWR and onward to IAD.

I almost didn't make the CO flight. Delhi has the strangest transit process I have ever seen--you get off your plane (here from Kathmandu) and then wait for someone to come and get all of the transfer passengers. They write down your name, passport number, connecting flight, and baggage claim #, then walk you down a long corridor like a group of prisoners of war, and leave you in a transit lounge. I exited that lounge and go to the Continental lounge. An hour and a half later, a Continental rep came for me and walked me out to an area where I had to identify my bag (on a cart by itself) and then she wrote down my home address and asked for my paper ticket. I gave it to her but she left it there (I didn't realize this). Ten minutes later she came back to the lounge and said that she could not get a boarding pass without the paper ticket and we argued over who had it. Half an hour later I finally got a supervisor (or international concierge as she was called) to come and the supervisor said that without the paper ticket, I couldn't board the plane. About 15 minutes more passed as I tried to call State in DC ( and the embassy and cell phone of the guy from State in Nepal, but no one answered. The rep stood there stoned faced and repeatedly told me and the concierge that I had my paper ticket. Even after I emptied my carry-on luggage twice in the presence of both of them, she continued to blame me.

Then the supervisor told the rep to retrace her steps and guess what--she found the paper ticket (but refused to apologize for messing me up)--she came back with my boarding passes about 10 minutes later and boarding had already begun. But my bag didn't make the plane and when I called multiple times on Thursday, ultimately reaching corporate, I was told that the bag was on the plane and that this was verified. But no one knew where it was. So yesterday they determined that the bag was listed as on the plane, but was still in Delhi. So they put it in a special container to be shipped on last night's flight and it seems to have made it. I received calls from both IAD and a supervisor in Houston for CO that my bag is on its way to my house.

But the behavior of the CO reps in DEL was atrocious--blame the passenger and not accept any responsibility for misplacing the paper ticket. Threaten the passenger with not being allowed on the plane. Then lose the bag, claim that it was sent on my flight because there was a written record of it, and then yes a baggage supervisor did apologize when they learned that the bag did not make my original flight but CO had no idea why. It took them the better part of the day yesterday to find out where the bag was--and it turned out that it was in the baggage loading area in DEL all the time.

Bad service is one thing. A bad attitude (mostly on the part of the DEL operatives) is another. I did get some good service from the baggage supervisors but the corporate office I first contacted couldn't have cared less about how I was treated in DEL.

Follow-up: Finally got my bag back. Lots of stuff stolen from it. I guess that's what happens when a bag sits in an airport for 36 hours largely unattended. Way to go Continental.
Not trying to defend CO, but the reps in DEL are probably contracted employees (often by multiple airlines) where in most cases the employers (CO in this case) have no control over.

LAX
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TG Gold, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by euslaner
I think if you had read of the Delhi Transit horror stories elsewhere on FT, you'd not have made that jump. I decided on my second transit in DEL, that I'd never do that again. Untill QR started more regular flts to ktm, i flew to Europe via BKK on TG.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 4:38 pm

Earn United EQM Flying Continental?

Last June Continental announced that it was joining Star Alliance and you could earn United EQM on a Continental flight. Does anyone know if this is in effect? If so, is it on both domestic and International flights?

Regards,
Michael
http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,59599,00.html
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Originally Posted by mesarch
Last June Continental announced that it was joining Star Alliance and you could earn United EQM on a Continental flight. Does anyone know if this is in effect? If so, is it on both domestic and International flights?

Regards,
Michael
http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,6862,59599,00.html
Not yet... http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../alliance.aspx
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: True Blue, Continental OnePass Gold
Any update on CO joining Star?

I am curious what the status is on COs entry into the Star systems. Also, anyone have an idea on how this will effect AMEX miles?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 1:33 am

They'll have to get U.S. anti-trust, then work on integrating systems into Star and all the rest of it. Could be a long wait.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you sure you want to stuck by this statement? Vancouver isn't even in the top six in Canada! I'm also including San Francisco in this data, as it's a hub and larger than any Canadian metro area:

City populations:
Code:
                           rank
City             pop    N.A.  country
----             ---    ----  -------
New York       8.1 mil   # 2   #1
Los Angeles    3.8 mil   # 3   #2
Chicago        2.9 mil   # 4   #3
Toronto        2.6 mil   # 5       #1
Houston        2.0 mil   # 8   #4
Philadelphia   1.4 mil   #11   #5
Phoenix        1.4 mil   #13   #6
Montreal       1.0 mil   #25       #2
San Francisco  0.8 mil   #34   #13
Vancouver      0.5 mil   #66       #7
Metro area populations:
Code:
Metro area       pop     N.A.  
----             ---     ----  
New York       29.9 mil   # 1
Los Angeles    16.6 mil   # 3
Chicago        10.9 mil   # 4
San Francisco   7.1 mil   # 6
Toronto         5.5 mil   # 9
Houston         4.6 mil   #12
Montreal        3.5 mil   #16
Phoenix         3.1 mil   #18
Vancouver       1.9 mil   #33
Philadelphia    1.5 mil   #46
Just an FYI, Canada and the US count their metro population counts differently.

For Example, in New York's 29 million people, the CITY of Philly is included...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 7:23 pm

Do you think that three US airlines can co-exist under one alliance (when one is better than the other two)? Do you see any of the three leaving or merging down the line? I wonder if Lufthansa will get closer with CO and start to distance itself from UA and US.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Any idea as to an entry date or timeline for CO? Looks like I've got 3 trips in February or March to Mexico and the choices are basically AA or CO... I'd like to put them on CO and credit them to my UA or US accounts if possible...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<deleted>

Last edited by ajamieson; Dec 11, 2008 at 10:10 am Reason: finger trouble

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.