Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Master Thread Of Discussion Of CO Joining *a-27 Oct 2009

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Well given that just about every STAR carrier serving NAmerica flies into EWR and/or JFK (UA, LH, SK, SQ, NH...) not to mention LGA (US, UA, AC) it seems to me STAR already has three hubs in the NYC area.
yeah but not for domestic flights.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Well given that just about every STAR carrier serving NAmerica flies into EWR and/or JFK (UA, LH, SK, SQ, NH...) not to mention LGA (US, UA, AC) it seems to me STAR already has three hubs in the NYC area.
If you don't live in NYC, it's not easy to connect to *A in NYC. @:-)

That's what a "hub" means. Now, the number of options to Europe will grow exponentially.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:46 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Crikey, a decent, in fact really good US carrier on *A at last...CO, aaaah, those were the days...the best ice cream sundae with vanilla ice cream, hot butterscotch & chocolate sauce, with chopped nuts and whipped cream(!!)...nice
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
yeah but not for domestic flights.
And -- how is this possible??? -- not for LON!

cheers,

Henry
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Really good news. At last a mileage earning direct route to the US from my home airport - and on a decent airline. Nonepass may even provide a decent alternative to M&M when the seemingly inevitable happens.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
As this thread is not directly related to bmi, let's continue this discussion over in the *A forum
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Well this is good news. Almost now an excuse to fly from BHX and the smaller airports to the USA.

A stronger *A hub in NY, plus stronger connections worldwide could be intresting.

An intresting play... and does this now freeze US out of the *A picture?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:05 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The news was posted in the LH forum a couple of minutes after it was posted here and so far completely ignored by LH forum regulars who are too busy discussing Euro 2008.
But football is so much more important than this news!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Interesting... I'm reading the United email right now. I thought this was called off, but obviously not.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
I thought this was called off
The merger was called off. The talks toward the cooperative effort were annouced after that (and after the UA/US merger talks thankfully broke off).
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
The obvious question now is the timetable for all of this happening, I'm guessing it'll take them a while to exit from SkyTeam.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
In one fell swoop we may have multiple UK/Ireland to New York, nonstop, *A routes
Spot on - you wouldn't believe the number of people here that simply won't even consider connecting through a hub, least of all LHR, to get to New York. Skyteam has picked up a lot of business this way; Skyteam currently has three daily services from EDI (2xCO, 1xDL). CO in *A will be a useful addition at the right time - just as LH comes along and does away with feeder flights into LHR

I don't mind CO. I find it gets the basics right, and provides a consistently acceptable service. Not the best, but not the flakiest either.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Sea-Wolf
The obvious question now is the timetable for all of this happening, I'm guessing it'll take them a while to exit from SkyTeam.
More than likely a long long time. They can't do anything re another alliance contractually until 9 months after the DL/NW marriage is sealed. (And how far away is that?!). Then they would have to get U.S. anti-trust approval - by no means a sure thing given the other North American players already in the alliance and the amount of Alliance + CO traffic over the Atlantic.
I'd guess probably 18 months or so, if all goes their way legally.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Al B
They can't do anything re another alliance contractually until 9 months after the DL/NW marriage is sealed.
I believe they could get permission to leave early, though it's probably doubtful the other ST members would give that permission without coercion.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Al B
I'd guess probably 18 months or so, if all goes their way legally.
That is my guess as well. Anyone care to run an over/under betting scheme?

It will give those of us who are most impacted plenty of time to figure out what to do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.