Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Eva Air Ticket, upgrade with Mileage plus

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:43 am

I don't fly internationally often at all, and I'm so confused. All the codes and such has my head swimming. I have 26k miles from Turkish Airlines. I'm looking to buy a flight from ORD to BKK on EVA. I'm 6'5" so I cannot sit economy. Was going to purchase premium econ tix. Is there any chance I can get at least one of my legs upgraded to business with those 26k miles, or is that too paltry of a number to hope for anything cool to happen? The booking class I was looking at was labeled "T". So I just book the tix, and then give EVA a call and say hey, can I get an upgrade? Sorry for being so clueless.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by atwirth
I don't fly internationally often at all, and I'm so confused. All the codes and such has my head swimming. I have 26k miles from Turkish Airlines. I'm looking to buy a flight from ORD to BKK on EVA. I'm 6'5" so I cannot sit economy. Was going to purchase premium econ tix. Is there any chance I can get at least one of my legs upgraded to business with those 26k miles, or is that too paltry of a number to hope for anything cool to happen? The booking class I was looking at was labeled "T". So I just book the tix, and then give EVA a call and say hey, can I get an upgrade? Sorry for being so clueless.
I am reasonably certain T-class is not upgradeable on BR. I believe you need K-class
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:33 am

Upgrade on eva air

I have been researching for days now on how to upgrade my ticket on eva air from TPE to MNL. I am booked in B class and want to use my aeroplan points. When I log into the site it asks for my flight details. BR isnt an option only other star alliance airlines. Anyone have a link or can explain how to do this. Thanks in advance and yes yes I know I'm not the brightest crayon in the box
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: EVA/*A Gold ※ IHG Platinum ※ Hertz PC
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to add my own experience regarding an upgrade of an EVA ticket using Mileage Plus miles. I just booked a one-way, economy ticket (Y class) on EVA's site from SEA to MNL. Immediately after booking, went to United's site, added my ticket details and received a virtually instantaneous confirmation of the upgrade from economy class to business. The entire process to book the ticket and request the upgrade and receive confirmation took all of about 6 or 7 minutes. The upgrade still isn't reflected on EVA's site, but I have received the confirmation email from United. I expect EVA's site will show the new booking class within a few hours.

I actually just needed to book a flight to TPE, but it was nearly US$300 cheaper to get a ticket to MNL. So, I can get a nice little holiday out of the savings for the price difference.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Greg33
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to add my own experience regarding an upgrade of an EVA ticket using Mileage Plus miles. I just booked a one-way, economy ticket (Y class) on EVA's site from SEA to MNL. Immediately after booking, went to United's site, added my ticket details and received a virtually instantaneous confirmation of the upgrade from economy class to business. The entire process to book the ticket and request the upgrade and receive confirmation took all of about 6 or 7 minutes. The upgrade still isn't reflected on EVA's site, but I have received the confirmation email from United. I expect EVA's site will show the new booking class within a few hours.

I actually just needed to book a flight to TPE, but it was nearly US$300 cheaper to get a ticket to MNL. So, I can get a nice little holiday out of the savings for the price difference.
Is there a certificate number on the confirmation email? There have been problems lately with upgrades not going through and that EVA's website did not show the new class of service (Z) straight away is suspicious as it should. If confirmation email had a certificate number then you should be okay... if not then I doubt it went through.

DAK
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi Folks,

Originally Posted by dkerr
Is there a certificate number on the confirmation email? There have been problems lately with upgrades not going through and that EVA's website did not show the new class of service (Z) straight away is suspicious as it should. If confirmation email had a certificate number then you should be okay... if not then I doubt it went through.

DAK
there seem to be some problems with BR upgrades using UA miles in recent weeks. Quite a few reports of the UG not going through and BR having no record of it. If it doesn't show Z on the BR side of things ... something is wrong. Try calling UA web support.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: EVA/*A Gold ※ IHG Platinum ※ Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
there seem to be some problems with BR upgrades using UA miles in recent weeks. Quite a few reports of the UG not going through and BR having no record of it. If it doesn't show Z on the BR side of things ... something is wrong. Try calling UA web support.
Apologies for the late feedback regarding this upgrade. It turns out that there was indeed a problem with United's site. Ended up speaking with three different customer service people over the course of a week and all of them had no idea what was going on. United's system went through the motions of the upgrade and sent emails confirming the upgrade, but no miles were ever deducted and as dkerr mentioned, there was no certificate number provided. After waiting about two weeks, I tried again and everything was processed normally - the upgrade to Z class was reflected on EVA's site and I was also provided a certificate number from United.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies for the late feedback regarding this upgrade. It turns out that there was indeed a problem with United's site. Ended up speaking with three different customer service people over the course of a week and all of them had no idea what was going on. United's system went through the motions of the upgrade and sent emails confirming the upgrade, but no miles were ever deducted and as dkerr mentioned, there was no certificate number provided. After waiting about two weeks, I tried again and everything was processed normally - the upgrade to Z class was reflected on EVA's site and I was also provided a certificate number from United.
yeah, the UG system is now fixed. Took a long time with this past outage to get it going again.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am thinking of booking MNL > TPE > SGN round trip in economy and then upgrading.

They are relatively short flights, but I'd rather not ride in Economy class.

Should I book on UA.com (Where an upgrade doesn't seem to be an option) or book on EVA then try to upgrade on UA.com?

TIA.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
I am thinking of booking MNL > TPE > SGN round trip in economy and then upgrading.

They are relatively short flights, but I'd rather not ride in Economy class.

Should I book on UA.com (Where an upgrade doesn't seem to be an option) or book on EVA then try to upgrade on UA.com?

TIA.
I pretty much book all* my EVA flights on EVA's web site. To upgrade, you need to book higher fare classes, and I don't know how easy it is on United's website (i.e. don't know if fare class search works on partners). EVA also does a payment verification (at outbound check-in you show the credit card used to book reservation), not sure how that would work if you book on UA. I have booked on EVA sites then used Star Alliance upgrade from United website (and my United miles).

*Exception being EVA award flights using UA miles.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, QF
Ok need some help, I bought a Y class ticket today...called EVA ahead and they confirmed there are "seats" available....when I go to the Star Alliance Award upgrade and try to get upgrade I get this, seems good but when you look it is only 15k miles and it says "Upgrade to Economy Cabin? Doesn't make any sense...if I just try to upgrade the BR11 flight it says no inventory, when I try to upgrade BR391 it will let me upgrade for 15k miles and that says "Upgrade to Business" I only get this "Upgrade to Economy Cabin" when I put both segments in , which is what I am supposed to do...i called United and they said only K class is upgradeable which is disproven by the fact I can upgrade the 2nd segment...anyone else seen this?

LAX
Los Angeles, CA, US

TPE
Taipei
BR11
TPE
Taipei

SGN
Ho Chi Minh City, VN
BR391TravelersTicket NumberWill be upgraded to:*********************************Economy cabin
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by e90dude1
Ok need some help, I bought a Y class ticket today...called EVA ahead and they confirmed there are "seats" available....when I go to the Star Alliance Award upgrade and try to get upgrade I get this, seems good but when you look it is only 15k miles and it says "Upgrade to Economy Cabin? Doesn't make any sense...if I just try to upgrade the BR11 flight it says no inventory, when I try to upgrade BR391 it will let me upgrade for 15k miles and that says "Upgrade to Business" I only get this "Upgrade to Economy Cabin" when I put both segments in , which is what I am supposed to do...i called United and they said only K class is upgradeable which is disproven by the fact I can upgrade the 2nd segment...anyone else seen this?

LAX
Los Angeles, CA, US

TPE
Taipei
BR11
TPE
Taipei

SGN
Ho Chi Minh City, VN
BR391TravelersTicket NumberWill be upgraded to:*********************************Economy cabin
Are you sure you are in Y class ( as in highest fare, fully refundable ticket), or are you in some lower price restricted Economy class fare?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by e90dude1
Y/B/K are all eligible for SAUA on BR. You need to have availability on both legs though - did you specifically ask the BR rep for Z class availability?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:08 am

I'll be traveling from LAX-TPE-HKG-LAX most likely on EVA. I've searched and could not find the chart on the mileage needed to upgrade from PE to biz. How many miles do I need? And how do I book a specific class? Everytime I price out my trip, it just assigns the class for me. And is upgrading using SAUA a better deal than upgrading directly with EVA? For the life of me, I could not find EVA chart either! Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:32 am

I upgraded from PE to J (the booking class is actually Z when it's an upgrade with miles) from TPE-MNL was 15k miles. If your wanting to upgrade the whole itinerary I'm not sure how many miles it will be but the chart should be in united 's mileage website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.