Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:06 pm

Spirit was selling DTW-ACY for $53.09 this week, and it was $35.10 if purchased at Spirit counter at an airport.

However, I noticed the following fare activity from Spirit:

On Saturday night, it was selling the Sunday and Monday flights for $171.09, $86.09 for $9 Fare club members, while every weekday after that was $53.09 regular fare. When it became Sunday, Tuesday's flight went from $53.09 to $171.09. When it became Monday, Wednesday's flight went from $53.09 to $171.09.

I doubt the demand suddenly filled over the night.

The lesson from this is if you're interested in booking a Spirit flight for a low fare for about just two days out and you can't make it to the airport that day itself, just book it online, and don't consider to go to the airport the next morning expecting the same low fare or just a modest increase of that to be around, as it might not be there at all and the low fare is suddenly a really high fare the next day.

Fortunately in my case, the day that I wanted (a little over 2 days out) still had the $53.09 fare, so I was able to book it at the airport for $35.10.

I booked this time at ATL. At ATL, the Spirit agents are able to sell tickets pretty much the whole day according the agent. At ACY, the Spirit agents have limited hours for selling tickets. I believe only to 6pm. Probably at the smaller stations or smaller airports, Spirit closes it's sales business earlier.

Last edited by rtalk25; Aug 24, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by wcalvert
I have yet to be turned away using my United elite card for security to get into elite line. That being said, the term A lines are usually pretty short in term A anyway.
Mixed results for me at different airports. I was turned away at ORD because the dragon wanted to see an AA BP reflecting my status, while at MSP the guy at the front of the line couldn't care less.

Also, had a fun experience over the weekend. We were looking at a 3+ hour delay with no plane (and at one point, no crew), so given the increasing cancellation risk I decided to bail on the flight and book elsewhere. Only two flights left on other carriers at that point, but UA was selling one-way walk-ups for $69, which was cheaper than the $80 I had spent for the segment on Spirit. Convinced the GA to issue a refund of the remaining leg on Spirit, and got home before the original flight even landed.

Lesson: know your alternatives, and be one of the first to book. I think a dozen people wound up doing the same thing we did, but I don't think too many got the $69 fare.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:40 pm

Just to be frugal even more for a ticket that I had bought at the airport for under $40, I saved about $15-20 by going to Staples and buying a medium box ($2.99) and paying UPS shipping for shipping my items back home. I flew another carrier to my destination, and flying Spirit back home. I had too many items that I needed for the trip.

It was about $20 all-in, for a medium box ($2.99) and shipping ($17-18 ground), compared to $35-40 for either checking a bag or carry-on, without the $9 Fare Club.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Mixed results for me at different airports. I was turned away at ORD because the dragon wanted to see an AA BP reflecting my status, while at MSP the guy at the front of the line couldn't care less.

Also, had a fun experience over the weekend. We were looking at a 3+ hour delay with no plane (and at one point, no crew), so given the increasing cancellation risk I decided to bail on the flight and book elsewhere. Only two flights left on other carriers at that point, but UA was selling one-way walk-ups for $69, which was cheaper than the $80 I had spent for the segment on Spirit. Convinced the GA to issue a refund of the remaining leg on Spirit, and got home before the original flight even landed.

Lesson: know your alternatives, and be one of the first to book. I think a dozen people wound up doing the same thing we did, but I don't think too many got the $69 fare.
Very nice! I think Spirit's official policy is that they will only refund with a 3 hour delay. I came close to walking off of a boarded plane sitting at the gate waiting for a maintenance issue.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I have been going into ORD to buy my Spirit tickets for years. I literally have it down to a science. Just last friday I flew $14 per one way to Baltimore.

I have read in this thread that at the time of purchase you can request a specific seat, correct? I already purchased a flight to and from ATL. If I go to the Spirit counter and act like I am investigating the cost of other flights that I may or may not purchase, and then throw in a, "While as long as I'm here, can I get this specific seat on these already purchased tickets please?"

Any ideas?

Has anyone ever done this?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847
I have been going into ORD to buy my Spirit tickets for years. I literally have it down to a science. Just last friday I flew $14 per one way to Baltimore.

I have read in this thread that at the time of purchase you can request a specific seat, correct? I already purchased a flight to and from ATL. If I go to the Spirit counter and act like I am investigating the cost of other flights that I may or may not purchase, and then throw in a, "While as long as I'm here, can I get this specific seat on these already purchased tickets please?"

Any ideas?

Has anyone ever done this?
While I have been successful in getting seats assigned at the time of booking at other airports, I have not been successful at ORD. It's very much a YMMV situation based on the agent.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
While I have been successful in getting seats assigned at the time of booking at other airports, I have not been successful at ORD. It's very much a YMMV situation based on the agent.
Yeah, ORD can be a tough one. I usually schmooze a bit before asking for favors. Fortunately most of the employees are female.

One person to avoid at all costs is this caucasian lady in her late 40's early 50's. I can't remember her name. Brown hair down to her shoulders. If I am next in line and she is open I let the person behind me go.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:21 pm

hi

anyone know if is it possible to buy spirit ticket at the airport for the future trip? or i can only buy ticket for the same day only (go show)

i mean i would like to buy ticket for November, but since it's said it might be cheaper the airport, i would like try to buy it at the airport, is it possible?

or am i only can buy ticket at the day i will be flying?

thanks
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Masadhi PraGuna
hi

anyone know if is it possible to buy spirit ticket at the airport for the future trip? or i can only buy ticket for the same day only (go show)

i mean i would like to buy ticket for November, but since it's said it might be cheaper the airport, i would like try to buy it at the airport, is it possible?

or am i only can buy ticket at the day i will be flying?

thanks
Yes you certainly can...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:29 am

I think most people buying tickets at the counter are buying for dates in the future. If you're waiting until the day of to buy your ticket, you're playing with fire.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:08 pm

Has anyone tried booking at the airport lately? I just got back from the airport with the hopes of booking two separate roundtrip flights with the hopes I could get $36 off of each. However when I went to the counter and asked the rep about the said flights they were actually more expensive than online. Was this maybe because of the dates? One was for early October and one was for Decemer. Did I do something wrong?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Maybe the prices changed when you were there? Did you check the prices while standing there?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:38 pm

I checked them right before I left for the airport and right when I got back and they were still the same online. Would be $104 online, so hoping to bring it down to 68 but the agent quoted the price at $197. $90 more at the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 9:54 pm

Were the prices you were looking at online part of the $9 fare club or fares that required a promo/coupon code? In either of those cases the airport agent won't have access to those fares.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:23 pm

The fares I had asked about were the regular fares, not a $9 fare club nor promotional code fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.