Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dunbar
You guys seriously would go to the airport, and maybe have to stand in line, for the possibility of saving $40 (since there are no guarantees)? I can sort of see checking the fare at the counter on the way out of the airport if there was no line.
$40 on a $200 dollar fare is a decent amount of money. For some of us, its no different than driving to the store to buy something rather than order it online. The savings is in the shipping. I understand it doesnt make sense for some people. But for those of use who live close to the airport and can get free parking it makes sense. For the record I have status on US Airways but if its significantly cheaper I will fly on Spirit and drive to the airport to get the fare. You can avoid the wait in line, if you know when the flights leave.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by beachbrew
$40 on a $200 dollar fare is a decent amount of money.
Except there's no guarantee. What if you drive out there and it's the same price or more expensive? You've just wasted your time and saved no money.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Except there's no guarantee. What if you drive out there and it's the same price or more expensive? You've just wasted your time and saved no money.
correct, however its on my way home, and I get 20 minutes of free parking. So in certain cases I would agree, but In my case it takes no more time or energy than taking out the computer and going to the website.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:49 pm

I've purchased Spirit tickets three times at the Tampa airport now. It's on my way home from work, and I get an hour of free parking...just did this again Friday night in fact and saved $70 for 15 minutes of my time, maybe $70 bucks isn't much for you but I like saving money wherever I can.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:56 pm

Spence1097... $70 to us Spirit flyers is a virtual windfall!

This follows everything else about flying Spirit: one can fly very cheaply just with some effort and patience.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:11 am

Question: Does anyone know if you can purchase tickets at the Spirit gate? I'm flying AA out of DFW next week, so I'll be dropping bags off at another terminal. It's easier to get between terminals on the other side of security using the RailLink, so buying tickets at the gate would be better than the TC.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Question: Does anyone know if you can purchase tickets at the Spirit gate? I'm flying AA out of DFW next week, so I'll be dropping bags off at another terminal. It's easier to get between terminals on the other side of security using the RailLink, so buying tickets at the gate would be better than the TC.
I do not know the specific answer to your question but I can say this. Spirit does not usually have a lot of extra staff at the gate pre-flight and from my experiences the ticket counter agents are many times the gate agents too.

When I have bought tickets at the counter I've found many of the agents are not trained in how to do a simple ticket purchase, in fact last week the station manager came out to actually do the purchase in their system as he tried to train two employees. Purchasing just three tickets at the counter took 15 minutes. With that being said and DFW being a relatively new station, I'd be worried they may not have the man-power so to speak to get everything ready pre-flight and also do your ticket purchase at the gate. Though ymmv.
Good luck and I hope someone has a definitive answer for you. Either way please let us know what you try and your experience.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 1:01 pm

Was able to buy my Spirit ticket at the gate after they completed boarding a flight. Fare was the same as online MINUS the PUC and DOT Unintended Consequence Fee which ended up being a savings of $38+ RT.

I just went online and noticed the GA screwed up my address and it says I need to contact Spirit about my ticket. Its not allowing me to buy checked bags yet, so the address or something else is causing an error. Regardless, still worth it to buy at the airport if you aren't going out of your way. This will be my first time on Spirit and its $200 cheaper with 1 bag RT and NS compared to WN which requires one stop.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by beachbrew
$40 on a $200 dollar fare is a decent amount of money. For some of us, its no different than driving to the store to buy something rather than order it online. The savings is in the shipping. I understand it doesnt make sense for some people. But for those of use who live close to the airport and can get free parking it makes sense. For the record I have status on US Airways but if its significantly cheaper I will fly on Spirit and drive to the airport to get the fare. You can avoid the wait in line, if you know when the flights leave.
I don't want to drive to SEA though to buy a ticket that I won't use on the same day.
I will just take AA and book on GDS/on AA.com
And I also don't like how crowded the Canada Line is.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I don't want to drive to SEA though to buy a ticket that I won't use on the same day.
May have to drive a little further south, as according Spirit route map they don't fly to SEA

EmailKid, on the fence about giving NK a shot
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:22 am

What's about their special 9 dollar club deals? Are they available to purchase by the counter? I believe they used to write in emails that they are online only, but I don't see it on current emails.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Hmmmmmm
What's about their special 9 dollar club deals? Are they available to purchase by the counter? I believe they used to write in emails that they are online only, but I don't see it on current emails.
Online only. I don't believe they have access to those fare codes at the airport. Thus the $9 club is another "weight the benefit of $9 club vs. buying at airport." In essence, are you going to fly enough and use the $9 club savings through fares and reduced baggage fees to offset what you can save by not being in the club and booking at the airport (if that's not a hassle)? YMMV.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Nope. I wouldn't join that club.
Welcome to FT!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:19 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I wouldn't join that club.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:02 pm

Talking

You guys seriously would go to the airport, and maybe have to stand in line, for the possibility of saving $40 (since there are no guarantees)? I can sort of see checking the fare at the counter on the way out of the airport if there was no line.
This thread was very helpful. Saved $100 last night!!!

1) There are guarantees. You don't have to pay the Passenger Usage fee at a MINIMUM... may save even more - as I did. Also, I called the airline and they told me the amount I'd save. 2) When my sister (she's closer) got to the airport to purchase flight, it was WAY cheaper than what I was quoted and online. Apparently, at the airport, the price was even less than the listed $9 FARE CLUB price without being a member. (Thus, I don't recommend joining). TOTALLY worth it IF you or someone you know lives near the airport.

Can doubt it if you want... but $100 in my pocket sure feels great!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.