Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:42 am

I had that happen to me once. Turned out that they were pricing out a 1-stop option instead of the non-stop.

I pulled out my phone to double check and then they "fixed" it while I was searching.

Also, that sale was yesterday, are you sure that you weren't searching using the promo code?

What was the routing? What is it pricing to today?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:03 am

I was trying to do Fort Myers to Atlantic City on October 2nd and return on October 5. The prices are still the same today.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by floridatraveler90
I was trying to do Fort Myers to Atlantic City on October 2nd and return on October 5. The prices are still the same today.
I see that there is a one-stop offered on the spirit website for $130ish more on the website. Almost guaranteed this is what happened. Agent chose that instead of the much cheaper non-stop later that day.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:16 pm

Yeah you must be right, I didn't even think of that while I was at the Fort Myers airport. But luckily I had to go to the Tampa airport today anyway for business purposes and figured I might as well try at their counter. I was quoted the cheaper price for that trip, which I bought. Then I was able to book round trip flights for my family from Atlantic City to Tampa for $135 a person for the week of Xmas. Definitely worth the small bit of hassle. Thanks for the help with your responses!
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Was out at DFW today, purchased Dallas to Orlando for next month for $16 each way. Wanted to add that if you don't want to pay for parking at DFW for your trip to the Spirit ticket counter, you can always park at the Rental Car Center and just take the shuttle. Free parking with a 2 hour limit there.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: DL
Booked a flight at ATL today at the counter. $2 for up to 2 hours of parking steps from the terminal. Roundtrip ATL-TPA came down from $68.20 to 32.22, as expected with the 17.99 each way PUF deducted. The agent told me she went ahead and gave me seat assignments but it appears it was only for the outbound segment. The "other passenger charges" listed on the bottom of the receipt looks to be a combination of the fed excise tax and the "unintended consequence of DOT regulations" and segment fee. I live 90 minutes south of ATL but my fiance's family is just 20 minutes away so swung by and handled it before heading home this afternoon. 1 issue I have just noticed since getting home though: While at the airport and giving the agent my fiance's info for her ticket, she put the name in wrong (added an extra N in Diana). I thought I saw her type it wrong so I asked her to read it back and make sure it was correct and sure enough it was wrong. She told me she would correct it and started typing away, moved on to seat assignments, printed my receipt and I was done. It's only now that I realize she didn't correct it. Will it be a huge deal? Name on ID is Diana, name on ticket is Dianna. Since it's still within 24 hours, can I call and have them correct it. It was her mistake for not correcting it, but it was just as much mine for not checking behind her before I walked away. Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by zitozac
Booked a flight at ATL today at the counter. $2 for up to 2 hours of parking steps from the terminal. Roundtrip ATL-TPA came down from $68.20 to 32.22, as expected with the 17.99 each way PUF deducted. The agent told me she went ahead and gave me seat assignments but it appears it was only for the outbound segment. The "other passenger charges" listed on the bottom of the receipt looks to be a combination of the fed excise tax and the "unintended consequence of DOT regulations" and segment fee. I live 90 minutes south of ATL but my fiance's family is just 20 minutes away so swung by and handled it before heading home this afternoon. 1 issue I have just noticed since getting home though: While at the airport and giving the agent my fiance's info for her ticket, she put the name in wrong (added an extra N in Diana). I thought I saw her type it wrong so I asked her to read it back and make sure it was correct and sure enough it was wrong. She told me she would correct it and started typing away, moved on to seat assignments, printed my receipt and I was done. It's only now that I realize she didn't correct it. Will it be a huge deal? Name on ID is Diana, name on ticket is Dianna. Since it's still within 24 hours, can I call and have them correct it. It was her mistake for not correcting it, but it was just as much mine for not checking behind her before I walked away. Thanks
I usually triple-check the receipts for this reason -- I've had the agents book tickets using weird combinations like MIDDLE FIRST, despite giving them the name as FIRST MIDDLE LAST. Per Spirit's website, you should be able to get this fixed without issue.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I usually triple-check the receipts for this reason -- I've had the agents book tickets using weird combinations like MIDDLE FIRST, despite giving them the name as FIRST MIDDLE LAST. Per Spirit's website, you should be able to get this fixed without issue.
Perfect. Called and had it corrected in 5 minutes. Thanks for that info.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I didn't know about the rental shuttle trick. At DFW, however, I've always made it into the Spirit counter for tickets and back out again in less than 30 minutes -- and so under the limit for free parking.

This past week I got DFW-BWI tickets, round trip during Christmas week, for $145. With the Prestige card I effectively get a little over 5% back on top of that. I really wanted to fly AA into IAD, but not badly enough to pay several hundred dollars more for all the tickets I was buying.

This time, however, I didn't get any comped seat assignments. Oh well.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:34 pm

In case any of you other spirit junkies wants a data point, I had 7 people on a single reservation, and at check in it did keep us all together for seat assignments.

Had another wonderful IAH-LAX for $70 RT. $150 RT after big front seat. Unfortunately the US lost to Mexico at the Rose Bowl
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
I didn't know about the rental shuttle trick. At DFW, however, I've always made it into the Spirit counter for tickets and back out again in less than 30 minutes -- and so under the limit for free parking.

This past week I got DFW-BWI tickets, round trip during Christmas week, for $145. With the Prestige card I effectively get a little over 5% back on top of that. I really wanted to fly AA into IAD, but not badly enough to pay several hundred dollars more for all the tickets I was buying.

This time, however, I didn't get any comped seat assignments. Oh well.
Do you not get charged for parking? DFW Airport website says 0-30 minutes is $2. I don't think I've ever been not charged for parking at DFW.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:45 pm

Passenger Usage Fee

Was looking for 2 R/T tickets from Houston to Ft Lauderdale on internet
total :$136.40 including Passenger Usage Fee $71.96

Since I was dropping friends at the airport, I decided to ask for prices on site and was told $140.00 for both tickets.

Guess the Passenger Usage Fee was not removed. Wondering...
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Jeanft
Was looking for 2 R/T tickets from Houston to Ft Lauderdale on internet
total :$136.40 including Passenger Usage Fee $71.96

Since I was dropping friends at the airport, I decided to ask for prices on site and was told $140.00 for both tickets.

Guess the Passenger Usage Fee was not removed. Wondering...
From the experience of others there, you may have been quoted different flights. When you go up to the desk to ask, make sure you specify exactly which flights you're looking for.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:23 pm

I specified the flights that I wanted with departure time. Direct flights. All others had one stop.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Oops, yes, I guess 30 minutes at DFW is $2.

As for Spirit's rates, they change constantly; and I guess they could also jump before you actually make it out to the airport.

I haven't been burned yet, i.e., I've always bought close to the bottom and haven't had a price jump before I can get out to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.