Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Spirit Airlines | Free Spirit
Reload this Page >

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit says "Lower fares generally available at the airport."

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Jeanft
I specified the flights that I wanted with departure time. Direct flights. All others had one stop.
What were the dates?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Oops, yes, I guess 30 minutes at DFW is $2.

As for Spirit's rates, they change constantly; and I guess they could also jump before you actually make it out to the airport.

I haven't been burned yet, i.e., I've always bought close to the bottom and haven't had a price jump before I can get out to the airport.
I had one experience where my mother was at the airport so I asked her to go buy me a ticket. They quoted her a higher price, I assumed it was the wrong flight, but when I pulled it up on the website it had gone up.

I double checked 5 minutes later, it had gone back down, and sent her back to the counter - price was lower! So prices can change, particularly if there are only a couple of seats left at a particular price.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
What were the dates?
December 3rd/ Return 11th
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:25 pm

My mistake /wrong dates

Oops.
I was looking at November.
It's December 2nd and 9th.
3r and 11th are $53.09>> quoted $40.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

$53.09>>>$35 makes sense
Long week ))
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jeanft
$53.09>>>$35 makes sense
Long week ))
:-) No worries. I've never not had the ticket counter match the website minus the $17.99 fee so when it doesn't it means one end or the other is not looking at the right flight.

Last edited by gooseman13; Oct 23, 2015 at 10:35 pm Reason: removed my double negative
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
One thing to watch out for is a special sale.

When I bought my DFW-BWI Christmas tickets, for example, Tuesdays were on some special two-day sale. The day after I bought, the price went up by nearly $100 (one-way; the return stayed the same).

I made a special trip out to the airport just for the tickets because I suspected that that was what was going to happen. It was still a weird situation: other routes had Tuesdays officially on sale, duly posted on the website, but the one I wanted (DFW-BWI) was completely unofficial and unannounced; it just came up when you happened to plug in the right dates. I nonetheless figured it would likely shadow the announced sales, and I turned out to be right.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:33 am

Completely agree. Spirit definitely runs promotional pricing for as little as a single day. Have never seen it jump $100, but certainly $50.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:39 am

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy tix at the airport for segments that don't start or end at that airport (i.e. going to PHL to buy ORD-BWI roundtrips)? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by abefroman329
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy tix at the airport for segments that don't start or end at that airport (i.e. going to PHL to buy ORD-BWI roundtrips)? Thanks in advance.
Yes. My last purchase, in fact, was in CLE for a flight leaving ORD.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:12 am

Thanks. This worked like a charm. Showed up at the ticket counter at PHL at about 6:15 last night and asked to buy a new ticket. Was first told I'd need to wait until 7, when everyone had checked bags for the LAS flight, but then someone in the back ended up working the request while the ticket agents worked up front. $86 r/t on the website dropped to $50 r/t at the airport. Thanks for the help, everyone!

P.S. I did not get free seat assignments, oh well.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLT
IME, I think the front line agents are more likely to give them to you than a manager. Glad the ticketing worked out, though!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 9:22 am

Thanks. This worked like a charm. Showed up at the ticket counter at PHL at about 6:15 last night and asked to buy a new ticket. Was first told I'd need to wait until 7, when everyone had checked bags for the LAS flight, but then someone in the back ended up working the request while the ticket agents worked up front. $86 r/t on the website dropped to $50 r/t at the airport. Thanks for the help, everyone!

I had that happen once (being asked to wait). They relented when they saw that I had all of the info typed out (was for 3 passengers on the same flight).

I mean, I had just waited in line for 20 minutes too.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:04 pm

international flights

Im assuming you can also do this for international flights? Well I am gonna be trying later tonight FLL to Montego Bay, Ja
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: WN RR, B6 TrueBlue, AA, NK
Originally Posted by poolaye86
Im assuming you can also do this for international flights? Well I am gonna be trying later tonight FLL to Montego Bay, Ja
Yes, I'd say just in case you have a picky agent, as I've never did the buy in person thing yet, take your passport with you. I did manage to get BWI-Lima for 20,000 miles +20.00 which was a steal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.