BCN Barcelona flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN Barcelona flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
If it's on one ticket? Plenty of time. You only have to clear immigration (no security check), and I have never waited more than a few minutes there. (It's the same checkpoint as for passengers leaving from BCN.) You will be at your departure gate 10 - 15 minutes after leaving the LX plane.

I'm not sure however about extra checks at the AA gate and when you have to be there, but if they sold you this connection I assume it's OK.
Different tickets is why I ask, but that sounds encouraging, thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
Different tickets is why I ask, but that sounds encouraging, thanks!
Only if travelling without checked luggage and with a boarding pass for the second flight in hand you might make it. But as I said: I think there are extra checks at the gate for flights to the US, and I don't know what the cut-off times for those are.

Anyway, I would never risk a one hour connection time on two tickets...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
As of last Friday, the L9 metro is now open to both terminals.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Palal
As of last Friday, the L9 metro is now open to both terminals.
... but it's not a good solution if you need to connect between terminals. It would cost 4,50 € and at T2 the metro station is quite a walk from the terminal. The free frequent shuttle bus between terminals continues to operate as before, so that remains the best transfer method.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Non Schengen connection at BCN?

I'm flying PHL-BCN-LHR on AA and BA and will be checking a bag. The connection is scheduled fro 2 hours 40 minutes. I'm wondering about the connection process.

Will my bag will be checked through to LHR so I won't need to claim/recheck?

Will I need to go through Customs and/or Immigration?

Security screening steps?

I'm OneWorld Sapphire so will have lounge access - which one is best?

Thanks for the assist.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Will my bag will be checked through to LHR so I won't need to claim/recheck?
Correct, you will not see your bag until LHR.

Will I need to go through Customs and/or Immigration?
No.

Security screening steps?
Yes, you will have to go through security. But it is a separate security area for connecting passengers only so it shouldn't take too much time.

I'm OneWorld Sapphire so will have lounge access - which one is best?
There is only one lounge in the non-Schengen area, down the stairs next to the McDonalds.

In general, the non-Schengen area is very limited. If you are going to spend lots of time at the airport and don't want to spend all the time in the lounge it might be a good to go through immigration anyway (like non-connecting passengers), exit through customs (which shouldn't take up any of your time), then the "normal" departures route which allows you (after security) to stay in the Schengen area (i.e. don't go through immigration until you are close to boarding). The Schengen area takes up most of the airport's airside.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:35 am

Schengen connection T2-->T1

Hi everyboy,

I'm going to book a FR flight landing at 10:35 in T2 and then I'll have an AZ flight departing at 11:45 from T1.
Schengen flight, EU passport,only hand baggage and I'm Skyteam Elite Plus.

Will it work?
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sciamano
Will it work?
At BCN the 2 terminals are physically separate buildings, some distance apart. So it is not like FCO.
So this can work only if everything, but really everything, works out perfectly. But that rarely happens, so I would not risk it - unless you don't mind buying a new expensive ticket if you miss that flight.

But if you are a gambler, here are the data:
Getting from the plane to the front of terminal 2 takes no longer than 5-10 minutes. (Longer if you arrive from a non-Schengen country. And if bad luck assigns you a bus gate, you will probably not make it. Although even then the layout of terminal 2 means that from where the bus drops you off, you are outside the terminal in 3 minutes.) To your advantage, FR is often on time. And I estimate that only 10-20 % of my FR flights at BCN use buses.
From outside terminal 2 you need to take a bus between terminals. At that time of the day there is (officially) a bus every 4 minutes and the ride takes about 10 minutes.
I often arrive at terminal 1 for Schengen flights 40 minutes before departure without problems. But the bad thing is that for security you don't have automatic access to the priority lane with SkyPriority. You have to go to the check in desk to get a pass for that. (Security at BCN usually only takes a few minutes, so generally I don't bother.)
Once you are through security, you can make it to any gate in 5 minutes at a brisk pace. (Shops will be open, so take a shortcut through them if you have a B gate. But do NOT enter the main tax free shop in front of you after security, because it does not have an exit in the back.)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Koby
At BCN the 2 terminals are physically separate buildings, some distance apart. So it is not like FCO.
So this can work only if everything, but really everything, works out perfectly. But that rarely happens, so I would not risk it - unless you don't mind buying a new expensive ticket if you miss that flight.

But if you are a gambler, here are the data:
Getting from the plane to the front of terminal 2 takes no longer than 5-10 minutes. (Longer if you arrive from a non-Schengen country. And if bad luck assigns you a bus gate, you will probably not make it. Although even then the layout of terminal 2 means that from where the bus drops you off, you are outside the terminal in 3 minutes.) To your advantage, FR is often on time. And I estimate that only 10-20 % of my FR flights at BCN use buses.
From outside terminal 2 you need to take a bus between terminals. At that time of the day there is (officially) a bus every 4 minutes and the ride takes about 10 minutes.
I often arrive at terminal 1 for Schengen flights 40 minutes before departure without problems. But the bad thing is that for security you don't have automatic access to the priority lane with SkyPriority. You have to go to the check in desk to get a pass for that. (Security at BCN usually only takes a few minutes, so generally I don't bother.)
Once you are through security, you can make it to any gate in 5 minutes at a brisk pace. (Shops will be open, so take a shortcut through them if you have a B gate. But do NOT enter the main tax free shop in front of you after security, because it does not have an exit in the back.)
I just checked before writing here about the transferring times and I calculated about 30 minutes to reach T1 since my FR flight (usually on time or at least ten minutes delay) touches the ground. Also good to know that FR rarely uses buses. I couldn't and still can't find from where my AZ flight to Rome will leave. Should be B or C area but can't find the exact info (In other airports you also can find the gate) but if you say that after security I will reach any gate in five minutes, that's fine.

This was the answer I was looking for!
Thank you Koby
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:36 pm

The AZ flights to FCO very often leave from the A or C gates closest to the central security area, so that's another point in your advantage. But it can indeed be also any of the B gates. (The A gates further out are for wide bodies and are shared with the non-Schengen area, so at that time of the day not used for AZ; and the further out C gates are not in use.)

Good luck!

Last edited by Koby; Feb 8, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:24 pm

**removed**

Last edited by IAD1k; May 11, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
BCN Meet and Greet / Transit Service

Trying to shuttle kids and family through BCN (or MAD) airport.

Likely connecting from Vueling from the balearic islands to EK, so it may likely involve two separate tickets and luggage pick up (but plenty of time).

Are there any vetted meet and greet or transit services in BCN (or MAD)?

I've searched but have not found any answers...Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
International arrival domestic transfer at BCN

Have a question regarding arrival and transfer information at Barcelona terminal 1 . I arrive on United airlines from EWR (with a USA passport) I'm transferring to Madrid via Iberia and wanted to find out how long I should time the connection.. do I need to clear any formalities and re-check in or is there a way of transferring in the sterile area? I will have carry-on and will arrive approximately 9 AM from EWR and curious to know how long I should time the connection. Is there a lounge I'm star gold and priority pass that I could use to take a shower on arrival if not it's not that important but I'm more concerned about the transfer in the process. Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
I’m pretty certain you will have to clear customs and recheck in, as it sounds like they are separate flights? Are you checking luggage? Someone else can better answer on that aspect, as I’ve only landed in Madrid first when I’ve had separate tickets.
But there is a Priority Pass lounge you can use. Actually there are several, one next to where flights on Iberia for Madrid depart that doesn’t have showers, and two others that do have showers.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by spainlover
I’m pretty certain you will have to clear customs and recheck in, as it sounds like they are separate flights? Are you checking luggage? Someone else can better answer on that aspect, as I’ve only landed in Madrid first when I’ve had separate tickets.
But there is a Priority Pass lounge you can use. Actually there are several, one next to where flights on Iberia for Madrid depart that doesn’t have showers, and two others that do have showers.
Thanks for your reply. Good to know there are lounge options, and I do have a Priority Pass. Does anyone know for sure if I have a boarding pass for my second flight (separate ticket) will I have to clear formalities and re-check in , Or.. is there some form of transfer desk or facilities to facilitate and streamline the process. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.