Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Randy Petersen is checking into COS policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Randy Petersen is checking into COS policies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Hayden
If a pre-boarder can safely operate the exit and assist in the event of an emergency, why shouldn't they sit where they want?
Because it further rewards falsely claiming a disability for the purpose of pre-boarding.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by nsx
Because it further rewards falsely claiming a disability for the purpose of pre-boarding.
Agreed. IIRC one does not need to show proof of disability to request a preboard.

I agree that those COS who wish to sit in an exit row should follow the same rules as everyone else.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Hyden
If a pre-boarder can safely operate the exit and assist in the event of an emergency, why shouldn't they sit where they want?
Originally Posted by nsx
But COS aren't claiming a disability. They are simply complying with the airline's rules requiring them to buy a second seat and then pre-boarding to ensure, with a minimum of disruption, that the second seat is adjacent to the first.

No one is saying that disabled passengers should be allowed in the exit row. I doubt that would be consistent with FAA requirements.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:11 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
I've specifically involved a flight attendant to remove a pre-boarder from an exit row before on a non-continuing flight.

EVERY pre-boarder should not be allowed to take an exit row seat, and that includes COS. The reason you are paying twice as much is because you're (possibly) taking up two seats! That shouldn't entitle you to extra treatment from the airline. You're the equivalent of two separate paying customers, in my opinion. To add to that, the second payment is refunded provided the flight isn't full. If you have such a concern with getting an exit row seat, then be at the front of the "A" boarding group like everyone else.

As for having to explain to customers that the seat next to you is "reserved" - why not sit in the middle seat and "reserve" the window or aisle? This way, if a customer comes up to you and wants to sit in that row, you can say "OK, I'll take the window/aisle and you can have the window/aisle." Then the middle seat is left open and will remain such unless the flight is close to full, which you may then have to invoke the "reserved" seat card - but that's less likely to happen than the situation that's been described so far!
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by xanthuos
As for having to explain to customers that the seat next to you is "reserved" - why not sit in the middle seat and "reserve" the window or aisle? This way, if a customer comes up to you and wants to sit in that row, you can say "OK, I'll take the window/aisle and you can have the window/aisle." Then the middle seat is left open and will remain such unless the flight is close to full, which you may then have to invoke the "reserved" seat card - but that's less likely to happen than the situation that's been described so far!
I suppose this approach might increase the chances of getting the whole row if the card is placed in the aisle seat. Otherwise, I don't see it solving anything.

I usually take the window so the aisle is available to a solo traveler. But since I've pre-boarded and am already seated and its already obvious that sitting next to me is going to uncomfortable, most people simply walk past if they are a couple or if the aisle is already taken.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Sorry nsx for mentioning fault. Guess noone is responsibile for their own actions anymore. And, yes I misinterpeted dhacker's commet of people looking at COS because they are in pre-board line. Although I am unsure how one would know why people are looking. I have seen/even heard people in A line looking over the Preboards and wonder why some are in it (not COS) - as some look physically ok.

I agree. If a COS wants an Exit Row, why not have him/her be in front of the A line to be sure they will get one (on originating flights). On thru flights, it is unlikely anyway - even if in Pre-board line.

WN can insure 2 seats together by having the COS have an A boarding pass. Unless a very full thru flight (rare), even the complete B line is usually able to have 2 seats together. So the COS does NOT have to be in the Preboard Line. Just get in either the A or B line and you will have 2 seats together. I have never seen where the 1st person in C line does not have the chance for an aisle or Window and a Middle seat. Having a bag to put overhead etc. is not a real cause of concern any more than for anyone else.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:37 pm

Last edited by 4thplz; Apr 7, 2010 at 7:24 pm
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by 4thplz
The first announcement normally goes like this: "We will now take all preboarders that have a blue sleeve".

After that all other pre-boarders are boarded.

The blue sleeve requires us to preboard those passengers with disablities first.

The remaining pre-boarders are considered "courtesy pre-boarders". It is done as a courtesy. We are not required to preboard families with small children or COS or the others that deem necessary to preboard. It is done as a courtesy preboard. That is why those preboarders do not need a blue sleeve.
Exactly again.

Only announcing that those with blue sleeves can pre-board leaves people confused as to whether or not its actually OK to pre-board with a seat reserved card.

The fact that you're not required to pre-board anyone without a disability is moot since SW policy allows those with small children and those with a second seat to pre-board.

So maybe we don't need the blue sleeves, but we could really use an improved announcement.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Sorry nsx for mentioning fault. Guess noone is responsibile for their own actions anymore. And, yes I misinterpeted dhacker's commet of people looking at COS because they are in pre-board line. Although I am unsure how one would know why people are looking. I have seen/even heard people in A line looking over the Preboards and wonder why some are in it (not COS) - as some look physically ok.

I agree. If a COS wants an Exit Row, why not have him/her be in front of the A line to be sure they will get one (on originating flights). On thru flights, it is unlikely anyway - even if in Pre-board line.

WN can insure 2 seats together by having the COS have an A boarding pass. Unless a very full thru flight (rare), even the complete B line is usually able to have 2 seats together. So the COS does NOT have to be in the Preboard Line. Just get in either the A or B line and you will have 2 seats together. I have never seen where the 1st person in C line does not have the chance for an aisle or Window and a Middle seat. Having a bag to put overhead etc. is not a real cause of concern any more than for anyone else.
I agree, pre-boarding COS could and should be dropped entirely if SW automatically gave them an A boarding pass (or even a B if the math guarantees all B's would still have at least one pair of adjacent seat to sit in).
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA-exp, 4MM, MR-plat, Hertz-PC, WN-CP
If I want 11ABC all to myself, can I book all three (planning on a refund on 2, 98% chance according to SWA)? I think that is why a cos shouldn't get to sit in an exit row, especially if they preboard. It's sort of like always being first in line for a (most likely) free upgrade to first class (sans food). Since the 2nd seat is guaranteed to be theirs (probably free, which is a kindness already) it really shouldn't be the favorite seat on the plane.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:59 am

Do all COS require seatbelt extantion? i know i do but can lower armrest. I can't seat in exit row. And i am ussaly 1st in A group. It aganst polycy for anybody using belt extention seating in exit row.

Originally Posted by Sprite
If I want 11ABC all to myself, can I book all three (planning on a refund on 2, 98% chance according to SWA)? I think that is why a cos shouldn't get to sit in an exit row, especially if they preboard. It's sort of like always being first in line for a (most likely) free upgrade to first class (sans food). Since the 2nd seat is guaranteed to be theirs (probably free, which is a kindness already) it really shouldn't be the favorite seat on the plane.
let me know if you can buy 3 seats
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:09 am

KEEP IT SIMPLE. There isn't any way for the computer to know how many disabled pre-boarders a flight will have. There isn't any way to know how many courtesy family pre-boarders a given flight will have. It's even probable SW won't know how many continuing passengers will be on a flight 24 hours in advance. I don't know how many last minute reservations are made/changed.

Letting COS board pre-board is the simplest solution.

Originally Posted by dhacker
I agree, pre-boarding COS could and should be dropped entirely if SW automatically gave them an A boarding pass (or even a B if the math guarantees all B's would still have at least one pair of adjacent seat to sit in).
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by Sprite
If I want 11ABC all to myself, can I book all three (planning on a refund on 2, 98% chance according to SWA)?
No. This has been discussed previously. You can take advantage of the COS policy only if you qualify as a COS, and then for only one additional seat.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
You can take advantage of the COS policy only if you qualify as a COS, and then for only one additional seat.

Which is why (I'm guessing) some of us are subjected to the "you don't look
THAT big" type of comments when we check in.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by borya
Do all COS require seatbelt extantion? i know i do but can lower armrest. I can't seat in exit row. And i am ussaly 1st in A group. It aganst polycy for anybody using belt extention seating in exit row.

let me know if you can buy 3 seats
No.

I don't need an extension. I can force the armrest down all the way, but would have to hold it there to keep it down. However, I most definitely encroach a lot into the next seat and make it very uncomfortable for anyone to sit next to me in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.