Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Randy Petersen is checking into COS policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2007, 8:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

An InsideFlyer subscriber writes this month about being effectively bumped from an AA flight by a Customer of Size:

When I asked about American's policy regarding overweight passengers protruding into neighboring seats, the flight attendant responded that "American does not have a policy."

The American gate agents also were unaware of what American's policy is regarding overweight passengers encroaching on other passenger's seat space.
Randy responded:
We'll research the policies of various airlines as related to this and report back to you as I truly do not know the immediate answer to this. Initial thoughts: I do not think it was fair to you, although I understand that sometimes these conditions are medically-related and something we all might keep in mind, along with how we would feel if we were in their position. Again, I do not know the answers, but know where they are.
I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up that Randy will soon have definitive information on this contentious subject. Once we know what the other airlines' policies are, we can have a calm and reasoned debate of the relative pro's and con's of the different policies.

For example, suppose AA's policy really is to give away a free second seat to every COS, bumping whoever shows up last. If so, I wonder whether the COS would be more embarrassed by that scenario or by Southwest's request to discreetly purchase a second seat, either in advance or at the airport. Secondarily, I wonder how the COS would weigh (oops) the financial risk (i.e., the chance of not getting a refund for the second seat) on Southwest against the embarrassment factor on AA where the adjacent customer is required to ask the flight attendant for help.

I am confident that whatever Randy finds out, all airlines' policies will involve some potential embarrassment for the COS. I can't think of a way to avoid that. Can you? It seems obvious to me that when someone who requires two seats shows up for a full flight with only one seat reserved, someone is going to be left behind. That someone is bound to be upset, and embarrassment of the COS is likely.

There are certainly no easy answers here.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN CP
The way to avoid the embarassment is to proactively purchase a second seat ahead of time as WN's policy recommends.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 9:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
The way to avoid the embarassment is to proactively purchase a second seat ahead of time as WN's policy recommends.
Yes, but if you want a guarantee that it won't cost anything, you might prefer an airline that has a purely reactive policy, waiting for the neighbor to complain. Then in my "for example" hypothetical policy, if you can be the first on board, you will never have to pay and only the other guy will be at risk of not flying.

FTers are notorious cheapskates, and we might prefer embarassment to forking over extra money.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
Once we know what the other airlines' policies are, we can have a calm and reasoned debate of the relative pro's and con's of the different policies.
Come now, you've been around these parts long enough to know that there has never been a "calm and reasoned" discussion on this topic in the history of FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles

Actually it often doesn't avoid the embarrassment at all. I always proactively purchase a second seat and just about every time it leads to at least one embarrassing exchange. I've been told I don't "look big enough" to need a second seat by Southwest agents at the counter, been stopped at the TSA checkpoint and forced to explain the situation for having documents in two different names (Southwest has you purchase one seat using your full name and one using your initials), and had customers angrily tell me that I can't "reserve seats on Southwest" when using my seat reserved document to protect the seat next to me during boarding.

In my opinion all of these scenarios are embarrassing to me. Are they more or less embarrassing than other airlines policies? That's open to debate, but I would definitely not use the argument that purchasing a second seat in advance "avoids embarrassment."
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:11 am

Sorry, you are correct. Even with the policy, it doesn't stop people from being rude or just plain ignorant.

I think your "too skinny" exchanges with WN gate agents need to be documented with headquarters. As for the TSA, I recommend not showing them anything other than your first-seat boarding pass. I do not excuse WN employees for being ignorant about the policy and procedures, but the TSA front line cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of every carrier.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by normalone
I've been told I don't "look big enough" to need a second seat by Southwest agents at the counter, been stopped at the TSA checkpoint and forced to explain the situation for having documents in two different names (Southwest has you purchase one seat using your full name and one using your initials), and had customers angrily tell me that I can't "reserve seats on Southwest" when using my seat reserved document to protect the seat next to me during boarding.
this is exactly the reason why COS policies should not be done in advance but in the plane. other seat changes are done then as well. it is not the COS that is being ignorant here, but other passengers and agents.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
As for the TSA, I recommend not showing them anything other than your first-seat boarding pass. I do not excuse WN employees for being ignorant about the policy and procedures, but the TSA front line cannot be expected to know the ins and outs of every carrier.
I learned my lesson after the first time, and make sure the extra documents are tucked safely away in my carry on and not in the sleeve with my boarding pass.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:38 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
this is exactly the reason why COS policies should not be done in advance but in the plane. other seat changes are done then as well. it is not the COS that is being ignorant here, but other passengers and agents.
If CoS policies wait until everyone is in the plane (rather than having the CoS buy an additional seat beforehand), then the only choice with a full plane is to IDB either the CoS or someone else at the last minute (without time to give passengers a chance to VDB). That will make at least one passenger angry.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by normalone
Actually it often doesn't avoid the embarrassment at all. I always proactively purchase a second seat and just about every time it leads to at least one embarrassing exchange. I've been told I don't "look big enough" to need a second seat by Southwest agents at the counter, been stopped at the TSA checkpoint and forced to explain the situation for having documents in two different names (Southwest has you purchase one seat using your full name and one using your initials), and had customers angrily tell me that I can't "reserve seats on Southwest" when using my seat reserved document to protect the seat next to me during boarding.

In my opinion all of these scenarios are embarrassing to me. Are they more or less embarrassing than other airlines policies? That's open to debate, but I would definitely not use the argument that purchasing a second seat in advance "avoids embarrassment."
I also always pre-purchase my second seat on SW and I've also been told I don't look big enough. They were just passing comments and not any attempt to deny me my extra seat, but still annoying and unnecessary. The other issue I have is that they tell me I should pre-board to ensure I get two seats together, but then don't issue the blue boarding passes that the GAs annouce is required to pre-board. The GA's still allow me to pre-board, but I get a lot of stange looks from other passengers.

It also irks me a bit that they deny me the exit row as a pre-board even though I am more than able-bodied enough to open the emergency exit and assist other passengers in the event of an evacuation -- better able, I would imagine, than many thin folks. And since I am tall as well as wide, I can use the extra legroom as much as the next person and feel its fair enough given that I paid double (pending possible refund if there are empty seats).
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I disagree that a COS should be able to preboard and get the Exit Row. That really upsets the 1st in line A passengers and, after all, you do get extra width in the other seats. And I wonder how often the COS actually has to pay for the extra seat. I bet less than 20% of flights go out completely full.

As to GA not asking for Volunteers and then use IDB if the COS takes the extra seat... As there are almost always a few no shows - almost always if the above happens -- the flight was overbooked to begin with. So the FA should, in my opinion, ask for at least a few volunteers in advance if it appears they may need someone. This has happened to me very often; I volunteer and then they have enough no shows they do not need the seat.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I disagree that a COS should be able to preboard and get the Exit Row. That really upsets the 1st in line A passengers and, after all, you do get extra width in the other seats. And I wonder how often the COS actually has to pay for the extra seat. I bet less than 20% of flights go out completely full.
I agree that no preboarder, whatever the reason for preboarding, should get an exit row seat. However, I disagree that the probability of a refund for a COS is at all relevant in that decision.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Extra cost + mandatory stop to explain you're a COS and get your "seat reserved" card + annoying comments about your weight from the counter agents + preboard stares + challenges by ignorant pasengers + having to call and ask for refund > disappointment among the 1st few A passengers. These passengers don't have a guarantee on exit row seats on many flights anyway, because they are beaten to the exit row seats by the continuing passengers on the many SW flights that make multiple stops and originated elsewhere.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by dhacker
Extra cost + mandatory stop to explain you're a COS and get your "seat reserved" card + annoying comments about your weight from the counter agents + preboard stares + challenges by ignorant pasengers + having to call and ask for refund > disappointment among the 1st few A passengers. These passengers don't have a guarantee on exit row seats on many flights anyway, because they are beaten to the exit row seats by the continuing passengers on the many SW flights that make multiple stops and originated elsewhere.
I think you underestimate the number of upset pax who on an originating flight (and I think most flights do not have thru passengers) who would get very upset over finding a pre-boarder in the Exit row -- especially when they have waited in line for 30+ min. to get the Exit row on a long flight. And most "in the know" passengers know which flights are "originating".

Myself, I hardly ever wait in line as I prefer to board at end of A line for an aisle -- except perhaps if I were on a transcon or very long flight.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:29 am

I understand they could be very upset, but I don't think that should dictate exit row policy towards able-bodied COS who are already being asked to pay more, jump through extra hoops, challenges and embarrassments, etc.

It actually helps the first A passenger in line since he gets to sit in the exit row with the COS next to a mostly empty seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.