Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

How would YOU get home if you were stranded after multiple S W Airlines flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How would YOU get home if you were stranded after multiple S W Airlines flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Or just do what the EU did years ago and require airlines who strand passengers to provide food and overnight accommodation regardless of the reason for the delay or cancellation.
I'm fine with that too.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 10:51 am

Or just do what the EU did years ago and require airlines who strand passengers to provide food and overnight accommodation regardless of the reason for the delay or cancellation.
Could you share that source?

"With cancelled/delayed flights, you won't receive compensation if the cancellation/delay was due to extraordinary circumstances for example due to bad weather."
EU Air Passenger Rights
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then we are back to the question of when is it due to "weather" / "extraordinary circumstances," or operational incompetence.

The weather / extraordinary circumstances excuse should end when all other carriers have managed to get back to normal. Or, as I posted in the main thread about this, maybe something like 24 hours after an airport that had been closed for whatever reason reopens / ATC restrictions have been lifted / National Weather Service warnings have been cancelled, or something objective like that.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Bear96
Then we are back to the question of when is it due to "weather" / "extraordinary circumstances," or operational incompetence. The weather / extraordinary circumstances excuse should end when all other carriers have managed to get back to normal. Or, as I posted in the main thread about this, maybe something like 24 hours after an airport that had been closed for whatever reason reopens / ATC restrictions have been lifted / National Weather Service warnings have been cancelled, or something objective like that.
The best comparison can be made with UA that has hubs in Chicago and Denver. These are the stations that WN executives blame as the catalyst.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Could you share that source?

EU Air Passenger Rights
Do not confuse the "compensation" obligation with the "duty-of-care" obligation. From the link you posted:

"Where the cancellation/delay was due to extraordinary circumstances, you may not have the right to compensation, but the carrier must still offer you assistance (reimbursement or re-routing) and care (meals and/or accommodation) while you are waiting for alternative transport."
Old Jan 1, 2023, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Do not confuse the "compensation" obligation with the "duty-of-care" obligation. From the link you posted:

"Where the cancellation/delay was due to extraordinary circumstances, you may not have the right to compensation, but the carrier must still offer you assistance (reimbursement or re-routing) and care (meals and/or accommodation) while you are waiting for alternative transport."
My mistake. Thanks for the correction.

And many European carriers subscribe to ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) entities. The boards propose a solution, or even impose one if you and the airline fail to agree.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I honestly see your comments as blaming the victims - the travellers on Southwest during el Meltdown - as they go throughout this very specific thread and others during this meltdown period. The vast, vast majority of the folks who got caught are not frequent travelers. They are not FlyerTalkers.

They booked Southwest and got screwed. Period.

David
Both things can be true: People shouldn't travel if they can't afford a few days of expenses (which is not to say that they shouldn't be allowed to), and Southwest should not have put people in that position.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by smmrfld
The whole premise of this thread is absurd, IMO.
Indeed, if people don't have friends or family to help, then what was the purpose of their travel during peak Xmas period?
smmrfld and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is a far better option. That way the airlines (and their shareholders) who cut corners with their IT and end up stranding passengers because of the airline's inability to operate are saddled with the expense, not the traveling public at large.
screeton likes this.

Last edited by halls120; Jan 2, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Old Jan 2, 2023, 2:30 pm

I remember 15 years ago traveling to Spain as an American and having my luggage delayed for 1 day and my flight delayed for 4 hours or something like that.

I was traveling in a humble economy cattle class seat, but was put into a posh 4/5-star hotel with vouchers to an elaborate buffet, a set of toiletries+shirt and a really well-made tote bag that I've been using as my work bag for the next 15 years.

The whole time I thought there must have been some paperwork mistake.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The closest analogy I can think of is 9/11.
9/11 I had a car so just drove it home with an overnight in vegas. The confusion on the Colorado Avis rental counter when I dropped the keys off was classic. They didn't charge me anything extra.

This one is/was a bit easier in my mind as when you get the news that your flight is cancelled you're in the same area as 150ish other people headed to the same desitinaion. Start talking and make decisions quick is the best idea to me.

I've rented a car with strangers, I'd guess a bit over a half dozen times, over the years. I've slept in the airport for multiple nights, I've taken a shuttle into town to stay the night, i've extended my trip, i've taken flights to other cities. Its all on the table.

*none of this addresses what to do if you don't have the means. Best bet then is to find someone who does and tag along?

Last edited by annerj; Jan 3, 2023 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This whole thread is sort of an extreme worst case highly unusual scenario....you're refugee-poor, but had enough money to buy airline tickets in the U.S. (mainly) during a major holiday season?

If I go back to my student days, where I didn't have a credit card and at most had access to a few hundred dollars via an ATM, and we're talking continental USA, I'd probably look for Greyhound or Megabus type services in the general direction of my hometown.

The US is tough without frequent/cheap intercity rail in most places. (Unlike Europe where it was made *really* cheap if you had a student card.) We also have far fewer of the youth hostel type accommodations that most European cities have. Airport hotels tend to be pricey - especially when a major irrops event hits. So I'd try to figure out how to get to a bus station...

tl;dr - the US is a bad place to get stuck if you don't have a credit card and/or are too young to rent a car.

Last edited by pinniped; Jan 4, 2023 at 8:40 am
Old Jan 3, 2023, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Indeed, if people don't have friends or family to help, then what was the purpose of their travel during peak Xmas period?
What an odd statement as if peak xmas travel period is limited to visiting friends and family???!!!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
What an odd statement as if peak xmas travel period is limited to visiting friends and family???!!!
True. Our flights were for a bowl game and no family in sight.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 4:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
My recent ride share driver told a story of driving 3 young adults 200 miles because he didnt recognize the location when he accepted the ride. It turned out the riders had met each other at the bus station when their bus was canceled for that day and at least 2 more days. They pooled their money for an expensive ride share to the other city. A clever tactic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.