Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
This link started in March 2019, he must have found the STEP BY STEP INFO WITH PICS posted on FT, lol
FT had the news on free changes 4 days earlier.

IMHO Dan did Southwest a great disservice by broadcasting it to his much, much larger audience. It's one thing for loyal customers to get a break. It's another thing to send out invitations to the whole world to come an abuse the generosity of a company they would otherwise never do business with. If you disagree, you should hang out at slickdeals, which is built for that purpose. It's a "spring break, let's exploit the stupid drunk kids" mentality. I find it dishonorable. But it makes a lot of money for the website owners.

I think I just talked myself into the Peanut Gallery there...
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
FT had the news on free changes 4 days earlier.

IMHO Dan did Southwest a great disservice by broadcasting it to his much, much larger audience. It's one thing for loyal customers to get a break. It's another thing to send out invitations to the whole world to come an abuse the generosity of a company they would otherwise never do business with. If you disagree, you should hang out at slickdeals, which is built for that purpose. It's a "spring break, let's exploit the stupid drunk kids" mentality. I find it dishonorable. But it makes a lot of money for the website owners.

I think I just talked myself into the Peanut Gallery there...
Over 2 years later here we are with free changes still going on ( as of last week) so I guess like most "top secret stuff here" Dan and multiple other bloggers along with the several threads on FT discussing the same subject didn't effect anything.

Were you the person who posted the original thread here ? The first thread was very vague and let people figure out for themselves how it worked...in fact it was asked that people not make a bullet point presentation showing others as it was feared that would end the changes. Nothing like what Dan presented with step by step instructions has ever been on FT, or at least I never saw it. Did he pick up on in here, it's possible.

The way I see it is if NOBODY shared the info then I ( and I'm guessing most others )would have never known, isn't that what this forum is about, helping others.

Unless I'm missing something ( I have never paid for a WN flight in cash) I also wonder how well this works these days for people who pay cash, you now have to book the low fare in advance ( vs instant changes way back when where you booked the low fare and 2 minutes later changed the flight to the one you want) so the higher fare you cancel is refunded as a TV which will expire and WN is holding the cash.

It's a Homerun for sure using points .......cash could be different as if you don't fly in a certain time frame you lose the $$ and even if you do fly you are giving WN your cash to hold which they will never refund.

We have 600K or so WN points and used ~40K extra points (in addition to the flights I booked that have the date, departure, arrival I want) today to book dummy lowest fare flights on the new schedule in case we see more changes.

How many people have enough points to book all the flights they want AND lowest priced backups ? Everyone else is using $$ and letting WN hold the refund for possible future travel.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 2, 2021 at 10:16 am
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Has anyone been successful rebooking to a date afterthe funds expiration date after getting the red bar from a schedule change?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ulmguy
Has anyone been successful rebooking to a date afterthe funds expiration date after getting the red bar from a schedule change?
​​​​​​
yes, done it multiple times
figment7 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Southwest4ever
​​​​​​
yes, done it multiple times
Thank you!
Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:25 pm

any chance free change will be available this mo?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Southwest never charged a change fee only fare difference which can be a issues close to your departure date. The other majors who had change fees as much S $300 did away with them still pay fRe difference.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Southwest never charged a change fee only fare difference which can be a issues close to your departure date. The other majors who had change fees as much S $300 did away with them still pay fRe difference.
Not at all what this thread is about.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:38 am

flight changes

Just got a call from SW. They said
they were changing my May flight a little and they may change some June flights.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:47 am

Free changes

I was able to book flights on may 9 and may 12 and change them. May 8 does not work.
danhouston likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:00 pm

Can confirm that bars were hopping on May 20th.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:27 pm

may 12 worked but not 18; seems that only good for 9 to 16
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS, WN, UA
Was just able to change 5/29 to 5/22. Great!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by bayareafamily
Was just able to change 5/29 to 5/22. Great!
likely depends on dest.; no free chg for my 18th & 25th
Air Houston likes this.

Last edited by danhouston; Apr 8, 2021 at 2:43 pm
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
5/31, 5/28 did not work. 5/25, 5/27 did work. I think it really is by destination.
Air Houston likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.