Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ulmguy
Also noticed when rebooking my STL-FLL that FLL, PBI, and MIA are now all co-terminals. Previously MIA was not a co-terminal (at least when rebooking online) even after MIA service started.
There's a relaxation on the West Coast too. SBA is co-terminal with the LA area airports:

Los Angeles, CA - LAX, Santa Barbara, CA - SBA, Ontario/LA, CA - ONT, Long Beach, CA - LGB, Orange County/Santa Ana, CA - SNA, Burbank, CA - BUR
I'm pretty sure SBA is farther from LAX than SMF is from OAK, but so far SMF is not co-terminal with the SF Bay Area.
cotomom likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
WN has steadily raised fares so far this week; e.g., on early Mon, lowest 1-way fare to Cun in May was $110, later in afternoon went up to $122, yday went to $130; heck, w/o a free chg, my preferred flight times would be more than double the lowest amount
they are running a promo of 20% off points booking so once it's over hopefully fares will go back to previous levels
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
they are running a promo of 20% off points booking so once it's over hopefully fares will go back to previous levels
Travel dates for that points fare sale end April 30, 2021.

Right now demand is increasing but capacity is still significantly limited, which I suspect is leading to fare increases. Things should level off or drop back down once capacity increases again.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
Right now demand is increasing but capacity is still significantly limited, which I suspect is leading to fare increases. Things should level off or drop back down once capacity increases again.
I believe that after a year of rock-bottom fares we will soon see much higher fares. Leisure travel is catching fire. The prime example is Hawaii: COVID-19 Impact on Car Rental Rates in Hawaii (Historic Low Rates Now Much Higher)
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:23 am

now dead
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:53 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
They will come back, hopefully, on Wednesday night. What did hurt me a little was WN relocating last week to Terminal G @ MIA from Terminal H. Now NO way of getting into the Turkish Lounge when waiting for a flight. If allowed by all this changes, I am moving my flights to more convenient FLL focus city, as MIA's attractiveness just got killed by WN relocating to F9's terminal and sharing it half and half. The winner was UA, which use to operate from G and now is fully relocated to H.
nsx and synergistic like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
They will come back, hopefully, on Wednesday night. What did hurt me a little was WN relocating last week to Terminal G @ MIA from Terminal H. Now NO way of getting into the Turkish Lounge when waiting for a flight. If allowed by all this changes, I am moving my flights to more convenient FLL focus city, as MIA's attractiveness just got killed by WN relocating to F9's terminal and sharing it half and half. The winner was UA, which use to operate from G and now is fully relocated to H.
Why do you think Wednesday night?
yanxfann likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Why do you think Wednesday night?
An uneducated guess it would appear. Maybe if we stop posting 24/7 when this opens, SW would continue it.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
An uneducated guess it would appear. Maybe if we stop posting 24/7 when this opens, SW would continue it.
He said "hopefully" and to be fair, when it does come, its comes typically on Wednesdays. Moreover, SW knows about this and posting here is not impactful nor was deleting the original thread on this topic. The changes will keep coming until SW has no commercial reason to keep them going (i.e., the pandemic ends)
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Vaselaney24
He said "hopefully" and to be fair, when it does come, its comes typically on Wednesdays. Moreover, SW knows about this and posting here is not impactful nor was deleting the original thread on this topic. The changes will keep coming until SW has no commercial reason to keep them going (i.e., the pandemic ends)
Of course SW knows about this, but this page is exploiting the airline’s very generous policy. The intention is to reduce call volume for passengers to adjust their reservation if they’re not happy with the auto re-booking, not to book a new flight for cheap and move it. They of course monitor this forum and likely reduce the frequency as a result of the constant promotion of the “free changes”.

Everyone is capable of noticing these “red bars” - no need to shout it from the mountaintop.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:10 pm

Of course SW knows about this, but this page is exploiting the airline’s very generous policy. The intention is to reduce call volume for passengers to adjust their reservation if they’re not happy with the auto re-booking, not to book a new flight for cheap and move it. They of course monitor this forum and likely reduce the frequency as a result of the constant promotion of the “free changes”.

Everyone is capable of noticing these “red bars” - no need to shout it from the mountaintop.

These free changes have been going on for about 2 years now ever since the MAX 8 was taken OOS.

Posting here when changes are permitted is the reason for this thread and the threads that were created years ago and is not going to change anything SW does as EVERY major BLOGGER is posting the same thing.

Paying in points is the reason this works for me and at times I have over 50K points out just on my dummy (lowest price) reservations, most people don't have the points necessary to make one reservation plus another at the lowest fare........if you use $$ you get a travel credit which WN holds ( and has an expiration date) vs points that are refunded. I'm sure WN loves holding $$$ they know they never have to refund and may expire worthless.

The people who have been doing this a long time knew the chances of free changes being announced a day before the new schedule release was slim to none.
yanxfann and ursine1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
These free changes have been going on for about 2 years now ever since the MAX 8 was taken OOS.

Posting here when changes are permitted is the reason for this thread and the threads that were created years ago and is not going to change anything SW does as EVERY major BLOGGER is posting the same thing.

Paying in points is the reason this works for me and at times I have over 50K points out just on my dummy (lowest price) reservations, most people don't have the points necessary to make one reservation plus another at the lowest fare........if you use $$ you get a travel credit which WN holds ( and has an expiration date) vs points that are refunded. I'm sure WN loves holding $$$ they know they never have to refund and may expire worthless.

The people who have been doing this a long time knew the chances of free changes being announced a day before the new schedule release was slim to none.
Bingo buddy! Why do you think every blogger is posting about it? Because they look here to see people shouting it from the mountaintops! That’s the quickest way for it to stop happening.

The people who have been doing this for a long time keep their tales between their legs, with their heads down, and consistently look for the red bar without telling every Tom, Dick or Stanley.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:09 pm

Bingo buddy! Why do you think every blogger is posting about it? Because they look here to see people shouting it from the mountaintops! That’s the quickest way for it to stop happening.

The people who have been doing this for a long time keep their tales between their legs, with their heads down, and consistently look for the red bar without telling every Tom, Dick or Stanley.
The major bloggers don't get the vast majority of their info off of Flyertalk..............it's the other way around where a member here reposts the bloggers info.

I have been refaring for ~ 2 years and when I see it open I post it for others and from time to time I see it posted here first............that's how the forum works.

After 2 YEARS I'm PRETTY sure WN knows what is going on and it will end soon because the Max is back in service and future schedules ( like the one released today) will need less tweaking as more and more people travel..........not because WN read their policy on FT, lol
yanxfann likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
The major bloggers don't get the vast majority of their info off of Flyertalk..............it's the other way around where a member here reposts the bloggers info.

I have been refaring for ~ 2 years and when I see it open I post it for others and from time to time I see it posted here first............that's how the forum works.

After 2 YEARS I'm PRETTY sure WN knows what is going on and it will end soon because the Max is back in service and future schedules ( like the one released today) will need less tweaking as more and more people travel..........not because WN read their policy on FT, lol
Sure am glad you know everything lol

That’s how you ruin it for everyone lol
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:03 pm

Sure am glad you know everything lol

That’s how you ruin it for everyone lol
I never said I knew everything but if you think this is ANY sort of secret you are wrong.

At the beginning you could actually buy a ticket within the window and change it immediately, there was no pre planning involved.

This link started in March 2019, he must have found the STEP BY STEP INFO WITH PICS posted on FT, lol

https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-de...ive-ever-seen/

Originally posted on 3/15/19:

Southwest currently has an insanely generous systemwide change policy for all March flights.

You can change any flight booked for travel in March to another flight within 14 days for free. Southwest never charges change fees, but currently they will also waive the fare difference.

Best of all you can make the changes online and this policy applies to paid flights and award flights.

With a 24 hour cancellation policy, I figured I’d see how exactly this worked when buying a new ticket today.

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 1, 2021 at 8:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.