Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I've seen the travel advisory red bar several times, and it doesn't do anything for me either. One of the flights that consistently shows it was changed awhile ago by Southwest to something ridiculous with several stops, but it won't let me change it online - says I have to call in. The others I see it on now are on reservations with the companion already added, so I'd have to remove them first - I thought it was a slightly broken implementation, that yields the useless red bar when the trip cannot currently be changed without you doing something else first.

Does that match up with what you're seeing?

Edit: just removed the companion from the return flight that is showing the travel advisory, and as soon as it was off, it showed the real change bar. Put the companion back on, back to travel advisory. I think it's an indication (with no link to explain it) that the flight is eligible for changes but requires intervention.
I have this on a flight for this weekend. When I look to make a new reservation on same flight, it shows unavailable. Maybe it's oversold which is prompting the travel advisory banner?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
I've seen the travel advisory red bar several times, and it doesn't do anything for me either. One of the flights that consistently shows it was changed awhile ago by Southwest to something ridiculous with several stops, but it won't let me change it online - says I have to call in. The others I see it on now are on reservations with the companion already added, so I'd have to remove them first - I thought it was a slightly broken implementation, that yields the useless red bar when the trip cannot currently be changed without you doing something else first.

Does that match up with what you're seeing?

Edit: just removed the companion from the return flight that is showing the travel advisory, and as soon as it was off, it showed the real change bar. Put the companion back on, back to travel advisory. I think it's an indication (with no link to explain it) that the flight is eligible for changes but requires intervention.

​​​​​​​After the original message was posted, the thought occurred to me that the advisory could be related to our CP booking. Southwest certainly could have a better way of doing that kind of advisory, than the way they are doing it. Another oddity is that there is no banner, whatsoever, when viewing the booking on the full site, unlike the standard change banner, which appears both places. Other non-CP bookings for May show the familiar change banner on both app and website, for select dates and itineraries.

We're not going to change anything, but appreciate knowing what's going on. This may not be the only time that banner appears, till things settle down in the schedule!

Thanks for all of the great info.
synergistic likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
The banner comes and goes. It was on my active reservation and went away recently. It doesn’t apparently attach to the pnr as an indefinite free change waiver once issued.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Apr 19, 2021 at 9:46 pm
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cotomom
I have this on a flight for this weekend. When I look to make a new reservation on same flight, it shows unavailable. Maybe it's oversold which is prompting the travel advisory banner?
I've actually gotten an email stating that flight is looking sold out and it gave me a 3 day window to move flight. Could be for a number of reasons, allow passenger free move to alleviate out sold out flight and prevent a bad situation at boarding when no middle seats available or gets them out of an oversold situation as people move out of sold out flights. Either way, I took the bait and moved flight to less populated flight but by departure time, there was only 1 seat free on entire airplane. Similarly, I moved this past weekend to a flight with over 25 free seats but at departure no open middle seats.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:50 pm

Red Bar is back!

All my flights between JUN 6 - JUN 12 had a red bar, JUN 27 and later did not have red bars
MSP_Monopoly and 22calbr like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 3:08 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by divincenzo
Red Bar is back!

All my flights between JUN 6 - JUN 12 had a red bar, JUN 27 and later did not have red bars
Thanks moved a June 9th flight to July 5th!
Old Apr 23, 2021, 4:27 pm

Can anyone get the banner to show up for newly booked flights between 6/6-6/26? I can't.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Southwest4ever
Can anyone get the banner to show up for newly booked flights between 6/6-6/26? I can't.
Yes... I got it to work at least back to 6/3. But only on some routes. Can't figure out why at this point.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Franklin7777
Yes... I got it to work at least back to 6/3. But only on some routes. Can't figure out why at this point.
still likely route dependent; on another blog, someone claimed that may 15 worked or chgd to june, but didn't work when i tested...

fares in june are too high
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:44 pm

so, newly booked flights don't work?
Old Apr 24, 2021, 8:19 am

It did for me. I booked for June 7-10, banner popped up and rebooked for June 4-7. Saved me a ton of points.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:14 am

Yeah I agree, june and july flights are outrageous. I've only found true sale prices for August and later flights. But even then it is still higher than normal sale price
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 9:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Yeah I agree, june and july flights are outrageous. I've only found true sale prices for August and later flights. But even then it is still higher than normal sale price
If business travel remains low and leisure travel has to pay the bills at the airline, advance purchase fares will settle at much higher levels than pre-pandemic. No more $29 fares for segment runs.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
If business travel remains low and leisure travel has to pay the bills at the airline, advance purchase fares will settle at much higher levels than pre-pandemic. No more $29 fares for segment runs.
would be happy with $49 fares...the same route in june is $120 more & others' are too considerably higher; so can't find this free chg any much benefits

Last edited by danhouston; Apr 24, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:43 pm

flight changes

I booked a new flight for 6/19, then the red banner disappeared on all my flights after 6/18, so I could no longer have free changes on them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.