Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2021, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by AllThePants
Another note -- always make sure you successfully switch your cheap booking into your preferred booking time before cancelling your flight.

The only time I've ever had this almost backfire was when the booking system had some lock in place to not allow making the free change into a fairly packed weekend flight. I'm not sure if it was intentional on SWA's part -- or just a bug in the system. I'm guessing the latter. But it would fail on the last confirmation step and prompted me to call -- which I really don't like doing. I'm sure the CS agents could've probably worked this out, but I neither wanted to sit on hold nor have to explain to anybody why I wanted two seats on the same flight for myself.

In the end I just kept and flew the primary flight (at my preferred time) -- which -- because I booked early enough, wasn't actually that much more than the cheapest flight option I wanted to substitute. But if I had cancelled the primary booking before trying to attempt the switchover -- and having it fail -- things might've gotten ugly.
Exactly, I make the new booking and change my companion before cancelling my old flight.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Southwest4ever
It's 7/11-8/14, confirmed
Was just able to change a 8/19 flight.
synergistic likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Was just able to change a 8/19 flight.
9/1 here.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
My flights up to 8/28 were changeable (just happens to be my latest flight so far!)
Old May 5, 2021, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
As I mentioned earlier, they're doing approximately a week of schedule each day. The changes should be finished by Friday, and will adjust things through September 6.
My 9/6 flight just had a change in schedule and thus free changes so if 9/6 is the endpoint I'm guessing they are done or very close to it.

These free changes are nice points wise but the schedule changes can be awful and make it tough to even fly WN if you need to be somewhere at a certain time.

I'm hoping this is it and they don't make anymore changes to my flights up to 9/6.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:22 pm

Flights up to 9/6 changeable

Edit: oops didn't see the post above mine.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:36 pm

I have to call (ugh!) to fix LAS—FLL flights 7/30-8/3. It has turned into LAS (MCI) AUS landing at 5:25pm & AUS-FLL is supposed to depart at 4:25pm. The flight back has a 3 hr layover at DAL. No thank you to any of those!
Old May 6, 2021, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by MrsWLV
I have to call (ugh!) to fix LAS—FLL flights 7/30-8/3. It has turned into LAS (MCI) AUS landing at 5:25pm & AUS-FLL is supposed to depart at 4:25pm. The flight back has a 3 hr layover at DAL. No thank you to any of those!
Oh no, the wait times are (kind of understandably) terrible right now. We had to call in re: a delay, and also had them change a booking whose free change window had expired, which had been turned into a multi-stop flight. Having two things to handle made the very long wait feel a little more worth it.

Them, of course, the next day I found another one that I couldn't change online and would have needed to call in - my flight from Spokane back home turned into a trip back from Denver. Free changes were available, but the message only showed DEN and COS as my free origins. I couldn't bring myself to ask my husband to wait through that again so soon - I just went ahead and booked from scratch. Is that an option for you, without losing many points/$? The online changes are so simple and so generous, but when you run into one that won't change online, it's pretty frustrating.
Old May 6, 2021, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
Oh no, the wait times are (kind of understandably) terrible right now. We had to call in re: a delay, and also had them change a booking whose free change window had expired, which had been turned into a multi-stop flight. Having two things to handle made the very long wait feel a little more worth it.

Them, of course, the next day I found another one that I couldn't change online and would have needed to call in - my flight from Spokane back home turned into a trip back from Denver. Free changes were available, but the message only showed DEN and COS as my free origins. I couldn't bring myself to ask my husband to wait through that again so soon - I just went ahead and booked from scratch. Is that an option for you, without losing many points/$? The online changes are so simple and so generous, but when you run into one that won't change online, it's pretty frustrating.
Its about a 16k point difference in the round trip so calling it is. I booked FLL because there were some nice rates from Vegas for an end of summer trip.

I’ll wait until I have time to just leave it on speaker and do something else while I wait.
Old May 6, 2021, 9:16 am

Its about a 16k point difference in the round trip so calling it is. I booked FLL because there were some nice rates from Vegas for an end of summer trip.

I’ll wait until I have time to just leave it on speaker and do something else while I wait.
I actually checked FLL-LAS recently, and the lowest points cost available during the change window is 6547 - if you're talking about a 16k point difference, you must not be doing the trick this whole thread is about. If you have 13,000 points to spare, book LAS-FLL-LAS for 17 and 18 August. Choose the 6547 rate flights - it does not matter that the dates and times don't work for you. After the trip is confirmed, you'll be able to change those new flights to exactly the flights your want, without being charged additional points. After you're done, you can cancel the original booking that Southwest snarled up. Unless you've got a much better rate than that, this will be much easier than calling in. Might even save you some points, cuz if you didn't know to do this, your original flights might be more than 7k each way.

​​​edit: mixed up the direction the first time around. Same drill regardless

Last edited by synergistic; May 6, 2021 at 10:03 am
Old May 6, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by synergistic
I actually checked FLL-LAS recently, and the lowest points cost available during the change window is 6547 - if you're talking about a 16k point difference, you must not be doing the trick this whole thread is about. If you have 13,000 points to spare, book LAS-FLL-LAS for 17 and 18 August. Choose the 6547 rate flights - it does not matter that the dates and times don't work for you. After the trip is confirmed, you'll be able to change those new flights to exactly the flights your want, without being charged additional points. After you're done, you can cancel the original booking that Southwest snarled up. Unless you've got a much better rate than that, this will be much easier than calling in. Might even save you some points, cuz if you didn't know to do this, your original flights might be more than 7k each way.

​​​edit: mixed up the direction the first time around. Same drill regardless
The flights that are screwed up are the 7k one way rate. I want to keep that so I’ll have to call to get them fixed. If I cancelled and rebooked for the specific times I want, it is significantly more. I prefer to book the ones that I want and not hope that I’ll be able to change to something better.

I do understand the trick this thread is primarily about.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:05 pm

The flights that are screwed up are the 7k one way rate. I want to keep that so I’ll have to call to get them fixed. If I cancelled and rebooked for the specific times I want, it is significantly more. I prefer to book the ones that I want and not hope that I’ll be able to change to something better.

I do understand the trick this thread is primarily about.

Then why don't you just book from scratch at the 6500 rate for August 17th & 18th, move it for free to the flights you want, and cancel the original? Unless you're out of points, why call in if it doesn't save you anything?

Edit:. You do you, of course. Just trying to make sure you understand what I'm telling you to do.
Old May 6, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Phone wait times are about two hours and I sent a message via FB this morning with all the information they requested and still no reply.

Any suggestions?
Old May 6, 2021, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by buzglyd
Phone wait times are about two hours and I sent a message via FB this morning with all the information they requested and still no reply.

Any suggestions?
Twitter DM.
Old May 6, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Twitter DM.
I don’t have a Twitter. They finally got back to me on FB. It was about 8 hours later but they changed my flight to my requested route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.