Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have bans been imposed by Japan and (South) Korea?

Also, can we assume that Hong Kong, Macau and certainly Taiwan are not covered by the mainland China grounding, which IIRC covered mainland Chinese carriers and not airspace.

SEOUL: We have advised Eastar Jet, the only South Korean airline that owns the B737-8 (two aircraft) -- the same model involved in the Ethiopian Airlines crash -- to ground them," the land, infrastructure and transport ministry said.
There are no Boeing B737 aircraft, including the 737 MAX, registered in Hong Kong, the city's aviation authority said today.
This really matter?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LegalTender
. Could be pilot learning curve issue, could be design flaw.
Assuming this plays out the way most expect, there is both a design issue and a human issue. The MCAS system is failing at what looks like way to high a rate. And in 2 cases the pilots were not able to execute the recovery actions.

I assume the reason why the FAA has not grounded them is that they are comfortable the human issue has been correctly handled within the US system.

Note: When I am saying "human" I am not attributing blame to pilots. Could be pilots, could be training. Could be information. Could be ....
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
Also, I imagine it's going to cause some serious disruptions to Southwest's operations if a lot of people start checking their flights and changing (or trying to change) them if their current flights use the MAX. I believe the chart I saw at NYT article said Southwest uses THE most of this model of any airline in the world (kinda figures, since they're one of the largest and only use 737 variants).

Concerned flyers should consider calling/emailing/facebooking Southwest with their opinions.
I did email them. I'm waiting to hear back. It's still within the 48 hour window. Basically I told them I have some flights coming up and I do not want to fly on a MAX8, so how can I ensure they will not be swapping planes to a MAX8 and how can I access information about my aircraft? They make it basically impossible for passengers to see the aircraft information for booked flights.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
So I've wanted to say this, but have held off. Am I the only person who is a little freaked out that WN Maintenance has been rather upset the past few weeks?

Usually I assume such things are normal union posturing, but maybe this is something different.

Ultimately we all put our fates in the hands of WN Pilots who are, by most accounts, the safest in the business.
Well, the FAA has warned Southwest that its ongoing mechanics strike could compromise the safety of the airline's operations, so... that's pretty disconcerting! I'm legit wondering if I should switch my upcoming Southwest flights to Delta or something. I don't want to eat that cost, but sometimes peace of mind is worth it.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by oreocookies
I did email them. I'm waiting to hear back. It's still within the 48 hour window. Basically I told them I have some flights coming up and I do not want to fly on a MAX8, so how can I ensure they will not be swapping planes to a MAX8 and how can I access information about my aircraft? They make it basically impossible for passengers to see the aircraft information for booked flights.
It's quite simple...you can’t ensure you’ll be on a specific a/c type until you’re at the gate.
mendezka likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld

It's quite simple...you can’t ensure you’ll be on a specific a/c type until you’re at the gate.
But I need a guarantee from a CSR that I won't ever have to fly a MAX until CNN or Info-wars report that it is safe for me to do so. It is unfair & borderline unethical for SW to force me to fly on this plane!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Someone posted that the track record for the MAX8 is 1 crash per 500k flights. That's high by modern standards, so people are correct to be somewhat concerned.

To be consistent, people who expect the highly unlikely to happen should buy lottery tickets!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Originally Posted by smmrfld

OK, so what are aircraft spotting features at the gate? All of the SWA MAX8s have tail numbers starting with N87 (as in N87xxx). Are those the only planes in the SWA fleet with that prefix? For us other non-aircraft spotter geeks, what are the other distinguishing features?

At this point, I am not opposed to walking at the last minute if I see a last minute substitution. I continue to be amazed that neither the FAA nor the individual carriers feel that the prudent course, the safe course, is to keep the planes on the ground. A 45-day grounding is a good first step; by the end of that time we should know if further remedial action is needed.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
OK, so what are aircraft spotting features at the gate? All of the SWA MAX8s have tail numbers starting with N87 (as in N87xxx). Are those the only planes in the SWA fleet with that prefix? For us other non-aircraft spotter geeks, what are the other distinguishing features?

At this point, I am not opposed to walking at the last minute if I see a last minute substitution. I continue to be amazed that neither the FAA nor the individual carriers feel that the prudent course, the safe course, is to keep the planes on the ground. A 45-day grounding is a good first step; by the end of that time we should know if further remedial action is needed.
Easiest way to spot is the serrated or “zig-zag” pattern at the rear of the engines.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

https://www.apnews.com/0cd5389261f34b01a7cbdb1a12421e27

Not good if true, that there have been incidents reported in the US.
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Ultimately we all put our fates in the hands of WN Pilots who are, by most accounts, the safest in the business.
Where did you hear "safest in the business" ? And it doesn't matter, if there's something inherently wrong with the airplane, or some training issue that even the most skillful pilot can't deal with in timeframe involved.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
Where did you hear "safest in the business" ? And it doesn't matter, if there's something inherently wrong with the airplane, or some training issue that even the most skillful pilot can't deal with in timeframe involved.
Certainly not reassuring when their own FAs urge to ground the planes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by jreuschl
https://www.apnews.com/0cd5389261f34b01a7cbdb1a12421e27

Not good if true, that there have been incidents reported in the US.
Link to reports:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ent/p2/a486265
screeton likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:25 pm
jmw

The most unsafe commercial aircraft was Concorde, with 11 fatal flights per million flights
Second place is 737max with 4 fatal flights per million flights. (2 fatal flights in 500K flights so far)
The prior 737 has just 0.2 fatal flights per million.

If you flew 737max very frequently, but not as frequently as driving... say 5 round trips (10 flights) a week for 35 years, you have a 7.28% chance of dying during your lifetime flying this bird (1 in 250K odds). Your chances of dying from a car crash is about 1% during your lifetime. Your chances of dying as a passenger in a car crash is 0.17% (1 in 572).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-b...203441321.html
https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/f...mortality-risk

No thank you, Southwest. I'll ride the bus if necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.