Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest uses the same new Boeing plane in Indonesia crash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
UK overflight is banned. That's going to be interesting. Meanwhile, back in the USA, everything's just peachy....
Add France and Germany. Turkish airlines has grounded Max planes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
UK overflight is banned. That's going to be interesting. Meanwhile, back in the USA, everything's just peachy....
Well, now that aviation safety expert Donald J. Trump has weighed in saying that airliners are too complicated.....
screeton and flyer4512 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Well, now that aviation safety expert Donald J. Trump has weighed in saying that airliners are too complicated.....
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:43 am

European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) bans all 737-8 MAX aircraft:

EASA has published today an Airworthiness Directive, effective as of 19:00 UTC, suspending all flight operations of all Boeing Model 737-8 MAX and 737-9 MAX aeroplanes in Europe. In addition EASA has published a Safety Directive, effective as of 19:00 UTC, suspending all commercial flights performed by third-country operators into, within or out of the EU of the above mentioned models.

The accident investigation is led by the Ethiopian Authorities with the support of the National Transportation Safety Board, as the aircraft was designed and built in the United States. EASA has offered their assistance in supporting the accident investigation.

EASA is continuously analysing the data as it becomes available. The accident investigation is currently ongoing, and it is too early to draw any conclusions as to the cause of the accident.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:47 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
There goes Southwest's plan to start selling tickets to Europe... although the in-air refueling would have needed some time to work out.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
So everywhere around the world except North America.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Surely the liability lawyers are getting involved in these corporate boardroom discussions at this point. With these planes officially grounded almost everywhere except for North American carriers, what kind of exponential liability exposure awaits the carrier who continues to fly the plane?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
It's because we're so free !
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
Surely the liability lawyers are getting involved in these corporate boardroom discussions at this point. With these planes officially grounded almost everywhere except for North American carriers, what kind of exponential liability exposure awaits the carrier who continues to fly the plane?
Also, I imagine it's going to cause some serious disruptions to Southwest's operations if a lot of people start checking their flights and changing (or trying to change) them if their current flights use the MAX. I believe the chart I saw at NYT article said Southwest uses THE most of this model of any airline in the world (kinda figures, since they're one of the largest and only use 737 variants).

Concerned flyers should consider calling/emailing/facebooking Southwest with their opinions.

Last edited by RustyShackleford1; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by screeton
Less presumed liability if they merely ground it 45 days while Boeing fiddles the software and installs safeguards, per FAA mandate.

The explanation of 'until we know the exact cause of the crash, we deem these aircraft safe' is losing altitude. I get that a herd instinct and fear factors are in play. Could be pilot learning curve issue, could be design flaw.

But a rattled public isn't hindered by a 45-day breather.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:24 pm

After the first crash, I wasn't concerned. But, two similar incidents within 6 - 8 months where the aircraft falls out of the sky upon takeoff? I get the abundance of caution on not jumping to conclusions, but what are the odds these two are completely unrelated? We're not betting money here, but lives.

Until we figure things out, of course they should be grounded.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Troopers
Have bans been imposed by Japan and (South) Korea?

Also, can we assume that Hong Kong, Macau and certainly Taiwan are not covered by the mainland China grounding, which IIRC covered mainland Chinese carriers and not airspace.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have bans been imposed by Japan and (South) Korea?

Also, can we assume that Hong Kong, Macau and certainly Taiwan are not covered by the mainland China grounding, which IIRC covered mainland Chinese carriers and not airspace.
Are there Max operators flying into Japan, S Korea, etc that aren't already affected by bans from China, Singapore, etc?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I've been on hold from two phones to the A-List hotline for nearly an hour... using both the 'traveling domestic' and 'traveling international' option.

Folks must be calling Southwest by the thousand to cancel or move flights.

My prior longest max hold time to the A-List line has been 2 minutes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So I've wanted to say this, but have held off. Am I the only person who is a little freaked out that WN Maintenance has been rather upset the past few weeks?

Usually I assume such things are normal union posturing, but maybe this is something different.

Ultimately we all put our fates in the hands of WN Pilots who are, by most accounts, the safest in the business.
screeton and mendezka like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.