Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW 1380 one passenger dead: Uncontained engine failure and emergency landing at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Been years for me as well, may well be. Or a combination of the two. My thought was that the high momentum allows such a relatively light object to cause such harm. It's all intertwined ultimately

I guess one could rewrite it:

f = Ma

p = mv

So m = v/p = a/f ... Ok now I'm stuck, but I think we all get the point. Fan blade go boom, big damage happen.

​​​​
Point taken.

Originally Posted by nsx

No, it's E = mv2. High velocity means high energy, which is dumped into the target. A bullet weighs almost nothing but travels at supersonic speed. A chunk of foam moving at 400 mph broke the wing of the Space Shuttle. In a tornado or hurricane, the high-velocity debris is the primary danger.
All that energy doesn't hurt anybody until it hits something and undergoes a change in velocity. That change in velocity is when it "dumps" the energy, so to speak.

If we are both passengers on a ICE train (300km/h) and I walk toward you with a baseball bat, you wouldn't hesitate to grab the bat as you, I and the baseball bat are all travelling at same speed. No change in velocity equals no force as per f=ma. As acceleration in this case is zero or close to zero, the force is zero/close to zero.

Setting aside the real-world impractically of what I'm about to propose for a moment.....if you were on the ground and I am on the train as before and I stick the bat out the window while the train is at 300km/h, would you attempt to grab it? If you do grab it, acceleration would be large and force would be large.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:42 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
She had a seatbelt on

http://pix11.com/2018/04/18/mom-killed-after-southwest-plane-engine-blew-died-of-blunt-trauma-to-head-neck-torso/
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
No plastic found in plane

Ok total speculation type question. Is it possible that window blew out due to a secondary flaw in the window triggered by the violent shaking of the engine coming apart and not because window was struck? Between the report here of no plastic inside and passenger reports that masks dropped before second "explosion" there feels like something doesn't line up.

http://abc7.com/woman-died-of-blunt-force-trauma-in-southwest-emergency-landing/3362999/
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:59 am

Southwest Challenged Proposed FAA Inspections

Globe and Mail / Reuters

Southwest Airlines Co clashed with engine maker CFM over the timing of proposed inspections and with regulators over costs after a 2016 accident involving the airline that was caused by a fan blade separating, public documents showed.

The documents, which are on a U.S. federal website and were viewed by Reuters, reveal the wrangling over previously proposed safety checks on CFM engines that are now the focus of investigations following a fatal engine explosion this week.

The FAA said on Wednesday it would order the inspection of some CFM jet engines after investigators said a broken fan blade touched off an engine explosion on a Southwest Airlines flight, shattering a window and killing a passenger. It was the first death in a U.S. commercial aviation accident since 2009.

In August 2016, a Southwest flight made a safe emergency landing in Florida after a fan blade separated from the same type of engine, and debris ripped a foot-long hole above the left wing. Investigators found signs of metal fatigue.

The Dallas-based carrier was not the only operator to ask for more time or suggest other changes as first the engine maker, CFM International, and then the FAA and its European counterpart proposed checks last year for potentially flawed fan blades.

CFM suggested a shorter examination period than some airlines wanted, of no more than 12 months. Southwest told the FAA in October that airlines needed 18 months and that only certain fan blades should be inspected, not all 24 in engines.

“SWA does NOT support the CFM comment on reducing compliance time to 12 months,” Southwest Airlines wrote in a comment available on the federal website that allows companies and individuals to comment on proposed new rules.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I am sure SWA did what every other airline in the US would do in this instance.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Lehava
Ok total speculation type question. Is it possible that window blew out due to a secondary flaw in the window triggered by the violent shaking of the engine coming apart and not because window was struck? Between the report here of no plastic inside and passenger reports that masks dropped before second "explosion" there feels like something doesn't line up.

Woman died of blunt force trauma in Southwest emergency landing | abc7.com
Considering a woman, wearing a seat belt, was sucked half way out the aircraft through a rather small hole for a human to fit through, with enough force to kill her, one might presume that the glass and plastic was also sucked out of the aircraft, rather than some odd conspiracy theory
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Lehava

Woman died of blunt force trauma in Southwest emergency landing | abc7.com
Things get sucked out of planes due to pressure difference, not the other way around.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I hope the FAA go after Southwest
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by apodo77
I am sure SWA did what every other airline in the US would do in this instance.
...and I hope the family of deceased go after Southwest for their loss
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:52 am

This is all based on anecdotal observations, but I've always felt that climb out on WN seems to be much more intense than on other carriers (which i would imagine are harder on the engines). Like I noticeably feel like i'm being sucked back into my seat with greater force than I do on DL or UA. Has anyone else felt this?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kylelenk
This is all based on anecdotal observations, but I've always felt that climb out on WN seems to be much more intense than on other carriers (which i would imagine are harder on the engines). Like I noticeably feel like i'm being sucked back into my seat with greater force than I do on DL or UA. Has anyone else felt this?
Path and climb are determined by Air Traffic Control.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dow/527468002/

I guess I am confused about the sequence of events. From the wife of one of the guys who pulled the victim back in:

“Kristen said before the explosion, her husband helped her secure her oxygen mask and held her hand. “

I would have thought that the engine disintegration, shrapnel impact, and decompression would be nearly simultaneous. But here she says the masks came down and apparently at least a few seconds later there was an explosion.
All reports I heard and/or read said oxygen masks dropped a few (maybe 10) seconds before the explosion.

And apparently were worn the wrong way be pretty much all that were documented in photos. I for one didn't see a single nose covered But apparently it got the job done. I hope at least pilots did it right.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by sbrower
Can you point me to an example of a recording of a commercial plane which intentionally deviated from assigned altitude because of an emergency and, while having radio communications intact, did not state that they were declaring an emergency? Or are you just saying that because the pilot handled a very difficult situation very well the fact that it was 1 flight in 100 for not making that declaration didn't matter in YOUR opinion, which doesn't change my opinion that being 1 in 100 shows some level of stress induced unusual communication (i.e. - a 1 in 100 exception). But I would certainly be interested in hearing your views if you would actually provide some information, like I did.
US 1549 ("Miracle on the Hudson"), J7 592, AS 261
smmrfld likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I had figured as much. Thanks for the input.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Altitude is assigned by air traffic control, rate of climb is not, unless a published procedure specifying such exists, e.g. a glideslope on an ILS approach
joshua362, LegalTender and ursine1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.