Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Press reports "Southwest Airlines kicks father and his toddler daughter off flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
How is that even relevant to this situation? What does the 1st amendment have to do with any of this?
It doesn't. But I believe the (misguided) comment was in regards to the WN FA telling other passengers not to record anything, not to the actual incident itself.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unusual to see rhis on WN - fa tend to have common sense and rational approach to things there..
a stupid and completely unnecessary outcome..
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
It doesn't. But I believe the (misguided) comment was in regards to the WN FA telling other passengers not to record anything, not to the actual incident itself.
While the "optics" may be bad, Southwest is entirely within it's legal rights to prohibit video recording in it's aircraft.
Also the person who recorded the incident also advocated for the parent, which could easily be construed as interfering with the flight crew.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:34 pm

Within their rights to enforce their policies, yes. Wasting their time even attempting to do so? Also yes. (I think this was DCP2016's original point.)

Optics win on this one.

Not sure how viable it is, but there's currently a petition in front of the Department of Transportation that calls for the DOT to “reject airlines’ improper attempts to prohibit recordings by passengers of events on-board common carriage aircraft and their interactions with staff."
Old Mar 18, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
While the "optics" may be bad, Southwest is entirely within it's legal rights to prohibit video recording in it's aircraft.
Also the person who recorded the incident also advocated for the parent, which could easily be construed as interfering with the flight crew.
Partly true. There is no law against taking photos or video on an airplane, and it is unlikely that anyone would face legal jeopardy for taking pictures of an altercation on a plane or their own peaceful dispute with an airline employee. The airline is within its rights to throw you off the aircraft if you continue filming, however.

A recording made with the plane at the gate and the boarding door open is not a safety issue. The FA would have more to answer for in any court. She might argue the cockpit door was open and feared passengers were staging a terror "dry run" for intelligence. But that's not supported by anything known here.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Partly true. There is no law against taking photos or video on an airplane, and it is unlikely that anyone would face legal jeopardy for taking pictures of an altercation on a plane or their own peaceful dispute with an airline employee. The airline is within its rights to throw you off the aircraft if you continue filming, however.

A recording made with the plane at the gate and the boarding door open is not a safety issue. The FA would have more to answer for in any court. She might argue the cockpit door was open and feared passengers were staging a terror "dry run" for intelligence. But that's not supported by anything known here.
In this case the person filming also interjected themselves into the interaction between the crew and another passenger by arguing againte the FA. That is what I was referring to as interfering with a flight crew.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:54 pm

In this case the person filming also interjected themselves into the interaction between the crew and another passenger by arguing againte the FA. That is what I was referring to as interfering with a flight crew.
I got that. Same answer.

Read Judge Thomas Dickerson's "Travel Law." Worst that happens, she's on a later fight.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I got that. Same answer.

Read Judge Thomas Dickerson's "Travel Law." Worst that happens, she's on a later fight.
No argument. But I also STRONGLY agree with airline prohibiting it (as is their right).

I do not want people taking picts and videos of me while I am sleeping.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
For interference to come into play, a passenger would have to have assaulted or intimidated a flight crew member. Advocating for (at least in the form that we saw in the video) is neither assault nor intimidation (in the legal sense of the word).
LegalTender likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.