Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 2 expiring Luv Vouchers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

What to do with 2 expiring Luv Vouchers?

Hello everyone,

I have 2 Luv Vouchers, for $300 each that are expiring on 4/27/18. I don't anticipate travelling before those dates, so I have a few options:

1. Wait for expiration and then call Southwest for extension. Is that still an option available ?

2. Call and ask for extension right now

3. Sell them (I see people selling them all the time)

4. Any other options that I missed?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:01 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by gogenn
3. Sell them (I see people selling them all the time)
Not on FlyerTalk you don't. Cash transactions are prohibited here.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
1. Fly somewhere

2. Let Southwest keep the money
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:06 pm

What about waiting until the day before they expire and book dummy flights using the vouchers, then cancel having the cost of the tickets issued as travel funds, and that would give you an extra year to use the funds? I think you can do that? Maybe someone else can chime in, but I think there is a way to go that route.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
What about waiting until the day before they expire and book dummy flights using the vouchers, then cancel having the cost of the tickets issued as travel funds, and that would give you an extra year to use the funds? I think you can do that? Maybe someone else can chime in, but I think there is a way to go that route.
No. But you can book a $600 flight for the expiration date, cancel that flight, then after expiration ask for a reinstatement of funds. They will deduct $100 and give you a 6-month voucher.
flyerchuk likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
No. But you can book a $600 flight for the expiration date, cancel that flight, then after expiration ask for a reinstatement of funds. They will deduct $100 and give you a 6-month voucher.
Ah. Thank you for clarifying
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:24 pm

Southwest never "extends" vouchers or travel funds.

Depending on why they were issued in the first place, Customer Relations may reissue expired vouchers, but it's not common.

Using the vouchers towards travel that is cancelled will generate travel funds that may be reissued (as a voucher, $100 fee) depending on review by Customer Relations.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
Is that a 'for sure' or 'they might if the mood is right' ?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:53 pm

While an unpublished policy, the official line is that these types of travel fund reissue "exceptions" are granted on a case-by-case basis. I've not heard many reports of denial, but those that I have heard involved more complicated situations, such as vouchers converted to travel funds, etc.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: WN A+/CP
Depends on where the voucher came from. If the voucher is a bump or customer service voucher they will extend for 6 months if you call within 6 months of expiration without reducing amount by 100. If the voucher is from previously expired funds they will not extend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.