Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19

Kudos to Delta, even if the move is just to help protect them from lawsuits!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:25 pm

Other than providing vet records, what's really different from today?

And have these animals actually been an issue for you, or do you just see everyone else's ire on the forums?

Also to note...while Delta proclaims they carry 700 dogs a day, they have 4,800 flights a day. The chances of any one flight having a ESA on board is about 1 in 7.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I'm hugely allergic to animal dander. Every fewer person scamming the system bringing on their family pet 'cause they paid some token $$ to get a letter means one fewer chance I'm going to be itching my skin raw or having to reach for a Zyrtec.

I only wish there were more places that could/would crack down; here in California people bring their dogs into grocery stores w/o a care in the world and there's apparently nothing the stores can do against these scammers.
PTravel and TSparky like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm hugely allergic to animal dander. Every fewer person scamming the system bringing on their family pet 'cause they paid some token $$ to get a letter means one fewer chance I'm going to be itching my skin raw or having to reach for a Zyrtec.

I only wish there were more places that could/would crack down; here in California people bring their dogs into grocery stores w/o a care in the world and there's apparently nothing the stores can do against these scammers.
I’m in SoCal and saw a lady put her little mop down on the counter at Starbucks while she put cream in her coffee.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

It 's a legal minefield, but I do hope they follow Delta on this. For it to really work there needs to be some kind of nationalized, standardized certification, and it has to be produced prior to bringing the animal on board.

As for emotional support (as opposed to seeing eye dogs and seizure dogs), if someone has emotional difficulty functioning in everyday situations, an airline may reconsider having that person aboard..in light of the upswing in air rage and dangerous outbursts in the air where pax need to duct tape people to their seats to prevent them from breaking down the cockpit door or defecating in the aisle.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I don't think they have to provide a Dr note today.

Way to go Delta. clean up this mess.

As my good buddy says...he has serious emotional and mental issues. He is scared to death to fly unless his mistriss flies with him. Why is this any different?
FortHay and mctrees02 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
What DL is doing is a small step but it's a step in the right direction and hopefully WN and others try and tighten this largely abused loophole as much as they can.
drooley and dlaue like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:00 pm

You know what's more annoying than fake service animals on planes? A new thread every week complaining about them.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by camaross
You know what's more annoying than fake service animals on planes? A new thread every week complaining about them.
I disagree. Even a new thread every 10 minutes complaining about fake service animals is less annoying than actual fake service animals.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by geo979
I disagree. Even a new thread every 10 minutes complaining about fake service animals is less annoying than actual fake service animals.
You can ignore a thread on a website.

You can't ignore a dog on your flight.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
You can't ignore a dog on your flight.
And the dogs are invariably better-dispositioned than the pax.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by smmrfld
And the dogs are invariably better-dispositioned than the pax.
Though I've got to say I've never seen a human passenger attempt to bite a flight attendant
Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:10 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Though I've got to say I've never seen a human passenger attempt to bite a flight attendant
More common than you'd think! Haha

http://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtm...ne-police-say/

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/...icle-1.3667880

JetBlue passenger biting people forces plane to make emergency landing | Fox News
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Maybe if they didn't charge exorbitant prices to transport a pet that in most cases goes under the seat and sleeps then there wouldn't be so much abuse of the system. The price they charge now seems like an ok amount for a security deposit, but if your pet doesn't urinate or defecate on the floor or bite another pax then you should get your deposit back.
Ca77andra, TSparky and flyguy6 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If I were in charge of the airline, I would charge nothing for a crated pet-in-cabin (it gets no services ), but it counts as your sole carry-on, so anything else you bring with you has to be a backpack or purse. But with no checked bag fees, you can check your clothes rather than carry on a rolling suitcase like most people do. Require paperwork and visual inspection to the fullest extent of the law, and the level of abuse will be very low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.