Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
A professional should have letterhead paper, and if you don't, then buy some. You can design it yourself for free and hit print a hundred times. It's not that expensive. It's part of the cost of doing business.
Are you suggesting printing the letterhead yourself? If so how is that different from what happened here?

BTW I'm a professional and we haven't had pre-printed letterhead in years. We do have a letterhead form we use on those few occasions where we need to write an actual letter, which if very seldom these days.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Are you suggesting printing the letterhead yourself? If so how is that different from what happened here?

BTW I'm a professional and we haven't had pre-printed letterhead in years. We do have a letterhead form we use on those few occasions where we need to write an actual letter, which if very seldom these days.
Given that the form needs to be scanned and uploaded to delta.com, it doesn't matter whether you take pre-printed high quality paper letterhead and feed it through the printer, or just print out on cheap paper the same image, because it's going to look the same on Delta's side.

The issue here was that the doctor's letterhead was fake. It wasn't fake because it was generated digitally rather than physically (e.g. taping a logo on blank paper), it was fake because it wasn't the doctor's letterhead. Make your own in a Word or whatever document, save it, and each time you need one, fill it out and hit print. Very easy.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 3:54 pm

The issue here was that the doctor's letterhead was fake. It wasn't fake because it was generated digitally rather than physically (e.g. taping a logo on blank paper), it was fake because it wasn't the doctor's letterhead. .
That's not exactly what the person said.

Turns out my doctor didn't use official letterhead and just pulled the hospital's logo off of Google Images and slapped something together in Word that didn't look the most real. Still, it was real, and shutting me down because of the resolution of the logo is pretty crappy.
Rather the the Doctor used a poor quality digital image to generate his own letterhead.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
That is not what the poster said. He said that he does not fly with his ESA on work-related travel because he does not wish to have to deal with the animal at client locations and the like. This is a matter of personal business preference which is fine. But, it is unlikely that the poster's medical documentation only approves the animal for leisure and not work travel. That has the sound of quackery. It is simply that he chooses not to tote the animal along on business trips although he could. That has the sound of the animal not being necessary and the quack being an enabler.
I know what the other poster said. I didn't ask for an explanation of what some other poster said. I specifically asked about your position based on your statements. You seem to be saying that it is an all or nothing proposition.

As you note, it's unlikely that the poster's medical documentation only approves the animal for leisure. I agree with you on that so based on your logic their doctor is not a quack. And I agree with you on that too. What's left is whether or not the animal is necessary. As we've established that the doctor isn't a quack it would be fair to presume the animal is necessary. It appears that the poster is choosing to go without a prescribed/approved ESA for work trips. Where does it say that someone must always use an ESA if it is prescribed? Who are you to tell them that if they can sometimes manage without it, then they must not need it?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
I was in Term1 at LAX today at 5am, I must have seen 6 'ESAs' one of them boarded our BWI flight, the guy was a C boarder, 4th last on boarding the plane, 2 x hand luggage plus the cage with this yappy thing in, guy obviously had middle seat with the yappy thing under the seat in front, it's ridiculous. The guy didn't seem insecure or in need of consulting his ESA during the long flight. It's not fair on the animal and it's not fair on the majority pax. Come Southwest sort this out for the common good.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aldaniti
I was in Term1 at LAX today at 5am, I must have seen 6 'ESAs' one of them boarded our BWI flight, the guy was a C boarder, 4th last on boarding the plane, 2 x hand luggage plus the cage with this yappy thing in, guy obviously had middle seat with the yappy thing under the seat in front, it's ridiculous. The guy didn't seem insecure or in need of consulting his ESA during the long flight. It's not fair on the animal and it's not fair on the majority pax. Come Southwest sort this out for the common good.
If the dog was in a cage, it must not have been an ESA. He must have been one of those suckers who paid the pet fee instead of cheating.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:38 pm

If the dog was in a cage, it must not have been an ESA. He must have been one of those suckers who paid the pet fee instead of cheating.
I gather if the ESA was agitable or high-strung a cage would be involved.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:52 pm

I don't think there is anything that says ESAs can't be crated - I know cats can be ESAs and I've never seen a cat traveling without a carrier. In that case, though, I agree that he was probably traveling with a pet - don't folks with ESAs get preboarder status?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:23 am

Agreed. I have a friend afraid to go anywhere without his trusty handgun. That should not entitle him to board a flight with a loaded weapon. The entire animal adoration movement needs to be checked, not just aboard flights, but in businesses in general, especially eateries and food sellers.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FortHay
Agreed. I have a friend afraid to go anywhere without his trusty handgun. That should not entitle him to board a flight with a loaded weapon. The entire animal adoration movement needs to be checked, not just aboard flights, but in businesses in general, especially eateries and food sellers.
+1

That's why several states have made it a crime to pass off your pet as a service animal in businesses that do not allow pets (but allow service animals obviously).
PTravel likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:16 pm

There’s zero sympathy for the people who are actually disabled or sick on this board

Have any of you read your comments? Ouch, you sound harsh.

I’m disabled with a compromised immune system due to a genetic disease, PTSD (not the kind where I act out I go introverted) and spinal issues.. You would never know these things by looking at me. Yes I do get a very small medical only bag that carries medical supplies I need while traveling, this makes people think I’m getting special treatment, an extra bag. It is marked with a Caduceus label and checked by security every time I fly because of the contents. No I’m not lucky because I get an extra bag, I can’t survive without it. Hippa law states that I don’t have to disclose why I need anything that is in that bag, just that prescriptions are properly labeled. Most people wouldn’t recognize what I have to take anyway. Every trip I go through the humiliation of a full pat down in a wheelchair for “everyone’s safety” because I’m such a threat not being able to walk more then a few steps without falling or use my hands well most days due to tremors. Oh and I am not old. I have been told by my doctors that they want me to get a ESR but I have resisted so far.

Properly trained animals would would not cause any of the disturbances that I keep reading about but I also wonder how many are exaggerated an ESR animal must be properly trained before being out in service. Drs. note included.

The same goes goes with the whole peanut allergy rise. There is some truth to it and a simple drs note would suffice. It’s not a difficult adjustment for the airlines to make. It should have been done broadly already when it became public knowledge that the allergy was on the rise in children. Easier then the constant fight and the very real possibility of having to turn a plane around for emergency anaphylaxic shock.

Even the use of wheelchairs for pre-boarding is out of hand. A person can’t park in a disabled spot or buy a discounted metro pass without their disabled placard and accompanying information sheet that information and it shows no health record. No information that breaks hippa laws so why can’t the airlines use those as proof of need for a wheelchair and assistance? I carry a copy of my paperwork at all times. It just identifies me as disabled, nothing more. Those ques would get shorter I’m pretty sure.

Maybe it would stop or tamper some of the hate towards those of us who follow the rules, cause no problems (you probably never notice me I’m still sitting on the plane while you all rush off.) although I might take one of those bulkhead seats because I need to move a little due to extreme pain and lou closeness. After all there is no such thing as an accessible Lou on a plane. We have been asking for one for years.

I dislike rule breakers probably more then you because it’s the very services that are desperately needed by people like me that are being abused and the ways to stop it without breaking HIPPA are so simple. I don’t know why the airlines haven’t.

It seems like it wouldn’t be too hard on most flights to keep people and animals on separate flights more work but if a person with a drs note about a severe animal allergy is no different then any other allergy. Most, not all flights can be re-booked around flights without service animals or vice versa.. Not all animal allergies cause anaphylaxis and there are treatments for the others if a person can take them because they know ahead of time.

All a dream I know. Especially in these times.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
ESA or real, actual, trained Service Dog? I don't think anyone has a problem with the latter, but this thread is about people abusing the former (and y'all should be glad I'm not King of the US, as I'm against the entire idea of "'E'SA"s and believe that people so whacked out they can't fly with a damned animal need to stay off planes in the first place, but ah well ...!)
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by disabledflyer
Have any of you read your comments? Ouch, you sound harsh.

I’m disabled with a compromised immune system due to a genetic disease, PTSD (not the kind where I act out I go introverted) and spinal issues.. You would never know these things by looking at me. Yes I do get a very small medical only bag that carries medical supplies I need while traveling, this makes people think I’m getting special treatment, an extra bag. It is marked with a Caduceus label and checked by security every time I fly because of the contents. No I’m not lucky because I get an extra bag, I can’t survive without it. Hippa law states that I don’t have to disclose why I need anything that is in that bag, just that prescriptions are properly labeled. Most people wouldn’t recognize what I have to take anyway. Every trip I go through the humiliation of a full pat down in a wheelchair for “everyone’s safety” because I’m such a threat not being able to walk more then a few steps without falling or use my hands well most days due to tremors. Oh and I am not old. I have been told by my doctors that they want me to get a ESR but I have resisted so far.

Properly trained animals would would not cause any of the disturbances that I keep reading about but I also wonder how many are exaggerated an ESR animal must be properly trained before being out in service. Drs. note included.

The same goes goes with the whole peanut allergy rise. There is some truth to it and a simple drs note would suffice. It’s not a difficult adjustment for the airlines to make. It should have been done broadly already when it became public knowledge that the allergy was on the rise in children. Easier then the constant fight and the very real possibility of having to turn a plane around for emergency anaphylaxic shock.

Even the use of wheelchairs for pre-boarding is out of hand. A person can’t park in a disabled spot or buy a discounted metro pass without their disabled placard and accompanying information sheet that information and it shows no health record. No information that breaks hippa laws so why can’t the airlines use those as proof of need for a wheelchair and assistance? I carry a copy of my paperwork at all times. It just identifies me as disabled, nothing more. Those ques would get shorter I’m pretty sure.

Maybe it would stop or tamper some of the hate towards those of us who follow the rules, cause no problems (you probably never notice me I’m still sitting on the plane while you all rush off.) although I might take one of those bulkhead seats because I need to move a little due to extreme pain and lou closeness. After all there is no such thing as an accessible Lou on a plane. We have been asking for one for years.

I dislike rule breakers probably more then you because it’s the very services that are desperately needed by people like me that are being abused and the ways to stop it without breaking HIPPA are so simple. I don’t know why the airlines haven’t.

It seems like it wouldn’t be too hard on most flights to keep people and animals on separate flights more work but if a person with a drs note about a severe animal allergy is no different then any other allergy. Most, not all flights can be re-booked around flights without service animals or vice versa.. Not all animal allergies cause anaphylaxis and there are treatments for the others if a person can take them because they know ahead of time.

All a dream I know. Especially in these times.
Welcome to FT. I don't understand what you're trying to say. You're contradicting yourself with those two parts I bolded. The only people who like the relaxed ESA rules are ESA abusers, not people like me and not people like you who are disabled and not faking it.

I agree with you about the phony wheelchair pre-board abusers. It's not exactly the same topic as ESA abusers, but it's abuse of airline policy nonetheless. That's why I maintain that if you need a wheelchair to get ON the plane, then you have to sit there and wait for a wheelchair to get OFF the plane. Watch the number of people who pre-board in a wheelchair and then miraculously get cured in flight drop like a stone.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
UN throws 'E'SA scammer off plane for trying to fly with a freakin' PEACOCK

But here's part of the problem:
However, according to the Emotional Support Registration of America, birds can qualify as emotional-support animals, and there is “no size discrimination allowed when it comes to Service Dogs and ESA’s."
Wonder how much $$ they bring in on each registration?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

The peacock story quotes United as seeing a 75% year over year increase of ESAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.