Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:14 am

JetBlue joining the party.

Updated requirements for emotional support and psychiatric service animals

JetBlue accepts only dogs, cats, and miniature horses as emotional support or psychiatric service animals and limits such permitted animals to one (1) per customer. Customers flying on or after July 1, 2018, must notify JetBlue of their intent to travel with emotional support or psychiatric service animal on their flight and must download, complete, and submit the following three documents online at least 48 hours in advance.
  1. Medical/Mental Health Professional Form - This document must be completed by the professional currently providing the Customer’s mental health care and who prescribes the emotional support or psychiatric service animal.
  2. Veterinary Health Form – This document must be completed by a veterinarian detailing and attesting to the animal’s vaccination records and fitness to fly.
  3. Confirmation of Animal Behavior Form – This document is a signed customer confirmation affirming the emotional support or psychiatric service animal is trained to behave appropriately in public and that the owner accepts all liability for any injuries or damage to property.
The required forms are available at https://www.jetblue.com/travel/speci...ervice-animal/ along with additional detail on traveling with service or support animals.

The required documentation for Emotional Support/Psychiatric Service Animals must also accompany the animal when traveling and is to be presented upon request to JetBlue personnel for review. The behavior of the animal will be assessed at the airport to ensure all safety requirements are met before approving the animal for travel.

JetBlue | JetBlue Updates Requirements for Emotional Support Animals
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:52 am

dogs, cats, and miniature horses?

JetBlue accepts only dogs, cats, and miniature horses as emotional support or psychiatric service animals

I imagine that JetBlue got this approved before publishing it but I also imagine that there will be a reaction from those with ESA's of other species. As far as I can tell the legislation does not limit species, although "guidance" given carriers lists some specific animals including rodent's and spiders which may be excluded with no mention "amphibians, goats and animals with hooves, tusks or horns" or peacocks for that matter.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

I imagine that JetBlue got this approved before publishing it but I also imagine that there will be a reaction from those with ESA's of other species. As far as I can tell the legislation does not limit species, although "guidance" given carriers lists some specific animals including rodent's and spiders which may be excluded with no mention "amphibians, goats and animals with hooves, tusks or horns" or peacocks for that matter.

Their lawyers are using the Interim Statement as guidance. While many carriers are imposing new guidelines that contain elements that run counter to current law, the DOT has made their positions regarding enforcement known. It appears that one way new rulemaking will eventually be decided on and approved is through "trial balloons" like this.

Service Animals—Species and Number

The Enforcement Office intends to exercise its enforcement discretion by focusing its resources on ensuring that U.S. carriers continue to accept the most commonly used service animals (i.e., dogs, cats, and miniature horses) for travel. While the Enforcement Office will focus on ensuring the transport of commonly used service animals such as dogs, cats and miniature horses by U.S. carriers, it may take enforcement action against U.S. carriers for failing to transport other service animals on a case-by-case basis. Airlines are expected to continue to comply with the existing service animal requirement which allows U.S. airlines to deny transport only to certain unusual service animals such as snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents and spiders. The Enforcement Office believes that the public interest will be better served by this exercise of its enforcement discretion because dogs, cats, and miniature horses are the most commonly used service animals.

The Department’s service animal regulation does not indicate whether airlines must allow passengers to travel with more than one service animal. In the past, the Enforcement Office has informed airlines that they will not be subject to enforcement action if they limit passengers to transporting three service animals. The Enforcement Office continues to recognize that a passenger may require more than one task trained service animal. Multiple task trained service animals may be needed to the extent that they are trained to perform different tasks, or in cases where an individual trained service animal must rest and cannot perform tasks for the passenger for extended periods. On the other hand, it is less clear that passengers require more than one ESA for travel or at the passenger’s destination. Accordingly, as a matter of discretion, the Enforcement Office does not intend to take action if airlines limit passengers to transporting one ESA. Additionally, the Enforcement Office does not intend to take action if airlines limit passengers to transporting a total of three service animals.

Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:13 pm

Except the statement contains this gem:
it may take enforcement action against U.S. carriers for failing to transport other service animals on a case-by-case basis.
Leaving themselves an out if somebody complains about their ESA spider monkey, lemur or pot-bellied pig being denied boarding.
Wait til the first sympathetic child with autism or cancer or something gets on local TV news.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:27 pm

"May."

Hence the trial balloons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.