Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's had enough of fake ESAs- let's hope WN is next!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
That is not correct. Under the ACAA, service animals can include dogs, cats, miniature horses, pigs, monkeys, etc. Airlines need not accept certain unusual service animals such as snakes, other reptiles, ferrets, rodents, and spiders. Foreign airlines need not accept any service animals that are not dogs, but domestic airlines may not refuse all non-dog service animals.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...ls-TriFold.pdf
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...20030509_2.pdf
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e14.4.382_1117

Service animals can include specifically trained dogs, cats, horses, pigs, monkeys and the like. The same list of animals could be emotional support animals if the passenger presents the required documentation from their mental health professional.
You took my response out of context, see the post I quoted.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Alaska Airlines adopts a tougher policy for emotional support animals

Starting May 1, the Seattle-based carrier will require passengers who want to travel with emotional support animals to provide proof that the animal is healthy, well-behaved and is needed to support the flier during the flight.

Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Alaska Airlines adopts a tougher policy for emotional support animals

Starting May 1, the Seattle-based carrier will require passengers who want to travel with emotional support animals to provide proof that the animal is healthy, well-behaved and is needed to support the flier during the flight.

I suspect the part about "needed during the flight" is an error. There is nothing in the legislation that limits the requirement to transport an animal in that way. A passenger could well need the animal at the destination.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I suspect the part about "needed during the flight" is an error. There is nothing in the legislation that limits the requirement to transport an animal in that way. A passenger could well need the animal at the destination.
No, that's not an error. One of the three documents must be a letter from your psychiatrist that says you need an ESA (which implies said ESA will be with you the entire time, in the cabin; otherwise it's not an ESA, it's a pet).
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:34 am

There is no requirement the the animal be needed on the flight. That is I think an error. Would a person with say agoraphobia need an ESA inside an airplane cabin? They may well need one to get to and from the airport.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jun 6, 2018 at 10:37 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
No, that's not an error. One of the three documents must be a letter from your psychiatrist that says you need an ESA (which implies said ESA will be with you the entire time, in the cabin; otherwise it's not an ESA, it's a pet).
Where are you seeing that? I only see a form that's required, nothing about a letter and the form doesn't say that it must be required in flight.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 5:09 pm

There is no requirement that the animal be needed on the flight.

The only difference with Alaska's new Medical Health Professional form and what other carriers are using is that it includes a a section for Guest Information that requests info specific to an individual flight. This makes it slightly harder than before since a new form is needed for each flight vs a blanket form that would apply to multiple flights.

However, that section can be completed by the customer (not the health professional) meaning that one could simply get a supply of forms completed by their doctor and fill in their flight info as needed. The doctor's info just needs to be completed/dated within one year of the flight.

The other two new forms are completed by the guest as well, and relate primarily to liability and an understanding that, if the animal is denied as a support animal (for issues such as behavior), they would need to travel as a pet and be subject to the terms/fees/requirements of their pet policy. (Not required is any statement that the "animal is healthy," as incorrectly reported in the article.)

I do suspect/hope that the liability form may give pause to some travelers (those who are passing off their non-trained pet as an ESA).

Time will tell if it has any real deterrent effect.

From the article (contains pdf download link to new forms):

Starting May 1, passengers must also print and fill out two additional forms from alaskair.com. In one form, the passenger affirms that the animal is well-trained and that the passenger accepts liability for any injury or damage caused by the animal. Another form certifies that the animal is healthy. All three documents must be submitted 48 hours before flying.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
There is no requirement the the animal be needed on the flight. That is I think an error. Would a person with say agoraphobia need an ESA inside an airplane cabin? The may well need one to get to and from the airport.
When they say
... The airline now requires that passengers flying with emotional support animals provide a letter from a mental health professional or medical doctor, affirming that the flier needs the animal for support. ...
presumably the animal is needed during the flight. If it's not, then this whole exercise is pointless, no?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
When they say

presumably the animal is needed during the flight. If it's not, then this whole exercise is pointless, no?
No. You are quoting a news article. Alaska just requires their forms be filled out. They don't say anything about an actual letter. Also, the law specifically states that the ESA may only be needed at the destination. It doesn't have to be needed on the flight for it to qualify as an ESA.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 11:28 pm

To be clear: There is no new specific requirement that the animal be needed on the flight.

The statement by the medical professional remains, as dictated by regulation, that the passenger is under their care, and that they have a specific disorder as specified in the DSM.

Last edited by ursine1; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:35 pm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Fake Support Animals

Alaska Airlines spokesman Tim Thompson said there will be an exception for trained miniature horses

Alaska Airlines tightens emotional support animal policy

By The Associated PressUpdated April 24, 2018 3:23 PM
PRINT SHARE ANCHORAGE, Alaska - (AP) -- Alaska Airlines has updated its policy on emotional support animals following an increase in incidents involving them on planes and in airports, including some customers and employees suffering bites.

Starting May 1, customers flying with psychiatric service animals must provide animal health and behavioral documents and a signed document from a medical professional at least 48 hours prior to departure.

The airline also will stop allowing amphibians, goats and animals with hooves, tusks or horns.

Alaska Airlines spokesman Tim Thompson said there will be an exception for trained miniature horses. Miniature horses are recognized as service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act and are used by a small number of people with disabilities, said airline spokeswoman Bobbie Egan in an email.

The changes are in response to increasing problems with emotional support animals on planes, Thompson said. There have been incidents where animals have bitten customers and employees, Thompson said.

"Most animals cause no problems," said Ray Prentice, Alaska Airlines director of customer advocacy. "However, over the last few years, we have observed a steady increase in incidents from animals who haven't been adequately trained to behave in a busy airport setting or on a plane, which has prompted us to strengthen our policy."

Alaska Airlines in recent years has handled about 150 support animals every day.

The new policy does not affect certified service animals, which are typically dogs helping owners with physical disabilities. The new restrictions only apply to animals assisting emotional, psychiatric, cognitive or psychological disabilities.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Alaska Air 555 from Palm Springs to SEA today (from an eyewitness)---->

"No-win situation for Alaska Air. Woman with her 90 pound service dog insists she has the right to the entire bulkhead without paying for the 2 additional seats. She is in the wrong (ADA requires only reasonable accommodation, not loss of revenue), and we have all deplaned as they pry her off the plane. I'm sympathetic to her plight, but it leaves me wondering what the heck she was thinking.

Service animal intended to respond if her blood pressure gets out of control. We were seated right behind her. I need a dog like that just about now….

Just reboarded. She's still on board with her dog, seats are vacant, and that's all we know.

It's a big dog but that doesn't give her the right to steal two seats from passengers who'd already paid for them. She'd boarded with the dog, settled it into the floor space for the two seats next to her, put all three of her carry-on bags(!) into the overhead bin and took control of the row. Looks like she did finally agree to pay for the extra seats herself, but I suspect she'll take this up with Alaska again after the flight, as she claims she checked with Alaska the night before and was assured she could have the space, and that "other airlines have always given me this space."

The flight was delayed 2 hours.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by dlaue
Woman ...
It's almost always, innit? (~95% IME, with one old guy carrying his wife's and a younger guy carrying his GF's among the maybe 4 guys I've seen with 'E'SAs)
Old May 31, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by dlaue
Wednesday night in front of Gate 11A at LAX a bulldog left a 25 foot long trail of walking poop. The gate agent called for a special clean-up. It was ~10 minutes before there was a crew responding. In the meantime, the foul smelling substance had been tracked and roller-bagged into the adjacent food vendor, Einstein Bros. Bagels. I gag when I think of the poor souls whose luggage was dragged into the mess.

Animals do not belong in this area. Nor in food markets, in my opinion.
Happened again last night at LAX. Almost in the same location. Only difference, the bagel shop has closed and is boarded off due to the construction.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Alaska Airlines spokesman Tim Thompson said there will be an exception for trained miniature horses

Alaska Airlines tightens emotional support animal policy

By The Associated PressUpdated April 24, 2018 3:23 PM
PRINT SHARE ANCHORAGE, Alaska - (AP) -- Alaska Airlines has updated its policy on emotional support animals following an increase in incidents involving them on planes and in airports, including some customers and employees suffering bites.

Starting May 1, customers flying with psychiatric service animals must provide animal health and behavioral documents and a signed document from a medical professional at least 48 hours prior to departure.

The airline also will stop allowing amphibians, goats and animals with hooves, tusks or horns.

Alaska Airlines spokesman Tim Thompson said there will be an exception for trained miniature horses. Miniature horses are recognized as service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act and are used by a small number of people with disabilities, said airline spokeswoman Bobbie Egan in an email.

The changes are in response to increasing problems with emotional support animals on planes, Thompson said. There have been incidents where animals have bitten customers and employees, Thompson said.

"Most animals cause no problems," said Ray Prentice, Alaska Airlines director of customer advocacy. "However, over the last few years, we have observed a steady increase in incidents from animals who haven't been adequately trained to behave in a busy airport setting or on a plane, which has prompted us to strengthen our policy."

Alaska Airlines in recent years has handled about 150 support animals every day.

The new policy does not affect certified service animals, which are typically dogs helping owners with physical disabilities. The new restrictions only apply to animals assisting emotional, psychiatric, cognitive or psychological disabilities.
I hope the animal was put down and the owner given a hefty fine. I love dogs but I do not tolerate dog bites. Uncivilized dogs who injure people need go to the pound, just like uncivilized humans who injure people need to go to prison.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.