Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Phone Agents can (sometimes) change Delayed Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

It has been said here many times the phone agents can't re-book flights.

That may be true in some cases but yesterday evening my wife (A- List Preferred) discovered her flight was at least 1:30 late and probably later. She called Southwest and got them to switch her to a flight the next morning. It turns out her flight ended up being 2:30 late arriving. This is the 6th or 7th time that particular flight has been seriously delayed due to weather in the last few months.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:29 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

That may be true in some cases but yesterday evening my wife (A- List Preferred) discovered her flight was at least 1:30 late and probably later. She called Southwest and got them to switch her to a flight the next morning. It turns out her flight ended up being 2:30 late arriving. This is the 6th or 7th time that particular flight has been seriously delayed due to weather in the last few months.
I also had a phone agent re-book a delayed flight last week.

Original flight out of MDW was scheduled to depart at 8:00pm and was posted as delayed 1 hour. I called in at 1:30pm on the way to MDW asking to be changed to the 3:15pm flight. Took the agent about 5 minutes, and was re-booked and had the mobile boarding pass updated before I got off the phone. No problems at all.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:29 pm

the issue is the waiving of the fare diff
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles

-----

I've been in this industry for 35+ years, worked for several airlines in Reservations and customer service and I don't know of any airline reservationists (phone agents) that cannot rebook flights (especially during irrops). ?? Totally confusing where you could have gotten that information from.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----

I've been in this industry for 35+ years, worked for several airlines in Reservations and customer service and I don't know of any airline reservationists (phone agents) that cannot rebook flights (especially during irrops). ?? Totally confusing where you could have gotten that information from.
Have you ever tried calling when your Southwest flight is delayed?

If you did, you'd understand.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:04 am

Programs: aegean gold , klm explorer
Originally Posted by ursine1
Have you ever tried calling when your Southwest flight is delayed?

If you did, you'd understand.
Its mostly a matter of won't. Possible, ofcourse. They could give you 10 free tickets if they wanted. A computer system allows those things, no doubt.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----

Probably from the numerous posts on here that have said they couldn't rebook their flight over the phone.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:15 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by Colin
the issue is the waiving of the fare diff
Indeed. The OP is knowledgeable enough to realize his wife's experience is only post-worthy news if the fare or points upcharge was waived, but it would be nice to have confirmation from him and from usflyer16 on that point.

If the fare / points differential is waived, we technically have "reaccommodation," not "rebooking." Sure, phone agents at every airline can rebook, but SWA agents have never been able (whether due to technology or policy) to provide reaccommodation services.

Could this be a benefit of the new reservation system?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ftnoob
Indeed. The OP is knowledgeable enough to realize his wife's experience is only post-worthy news if the fare or points upcharge was waived, but it would be nice to have confirmation from him and from usflyer16 on that point.

If the fare / points differential is waived, we technically have "reaccommodation," not "rebooking." Sure, phone agents at every airline can rebook, but SWA agents have never been able (whether due to technology or policy) to provide reaccommodation services.

No change in fare. Simply a different flight the next morning. Of course she lost her A-20 Boarding position but boarded at A-61
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:04 pm

still ambiguity - the full data needed is paid fare, new fare at last minute, and thus a waived differential
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

still ambiguity - the full data needed is paid fare, new fare at last minute, and thus a waived differential
That is unnecessary she was moved to a different flight with no mention of any fare. That is how it should be.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:21 pm

Except that it remains unclear whether or not there was a fair difference that had to be waived.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:31 pm

That is unnecessary she was moved to a different flight with no mention of any fare. That is how it should be.
it is necessary if you are arguing the telephone reservations agents will now change a reservation to a new flight during irregular operations and waive the fare difference.

if the fare for the new flight was the same as the fare for her original flight, then the telephone reservations agent was processing a normal reservation change.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

it is necessary if you are arguing the telephone reservations agents will now change a reservation to a new flight during irregular operations and waive the fare difference.

if the fare for the new flight was the same as the fare for her original flight, then the telephone reservations agent was processing a normal reservation change.
I am not arguing anything.

I am simply reporting a fact. YMMV.

I can say the ticket was bought a couple of months ago and was a WGA fare. What the fare was less than 24 hours before the flight I don't know and don't care. The fare on that flight today was over $200.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by ftnoob

I don't know what the fare was at that time, however I booked the ticket with points as WGA fare in February and called to make the change less than 2 hours before departure, so I assume there was a fare difference. The fare difference was never discussed on the phone, the agent simply made the change and confirmed when it was completed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.