Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
How hard is it to simply buy the ticket once you know where and when you're going?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
How hard is it to simply buy the ticket once you know where and when you're going?
Yes, that covers everything possible situation where one might consider needing multiple tickets without paying a last-minute cost or availability penalty. Such insight!
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ursine1
Yes, that covers everything possible situation where one might consider needing multiple tickets without paying a last-minute cost or availability penalty. Such insight!
If you need to buy a last-minute ticket because your plans are not known until the last minute, then you need to pay full fare.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1
IP address, CC # as well.

It is probably possible to defraud the system with enough layered work, but it will always be iffy and thus a risk.
I post and book from numerous locations and computers there multiple IP addresses. Just going to Starbucks would change the IP address.

I could easily use multiple Credit Cards. In fact I book most business trips with one and most personal travel with a different one.

Since the name must match the persons ID to clear TSA it would be difficult to use different names unless you had multiple IDs with different version of your name.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I post and book from numerous locations and computers there multiple IP addresses. Just going to Starbucks would change the IP address.

I could easily use multiple Credit Cards. In fact I book most business trips with one and most personal travel with a different one.

Since the name must match the persons ID to clear TSA it would be difficult to use different names unless you had multiple IDs with different version of your name.
Yup.

The point is simply that the over-simplistic view that one can defeat a carrier's anti-fraud software by leaving off an FFP# is simplistic.

This whole thing is a learning curve. Preventing duplicate & impossible bookings has been the industry norm for many years. WN is late to the game and its passenger base simply needs to adapt to having to pay more for late-booked tickets,.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Will the cancelbot catch a pair of flights that's not overlapping, but under the MCT?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:14 am

Running into this auto cancel bot while booking an extra seat for a musical instrument. The instructions on the WN website say to use the traveler’s name plus an appended XS to the middle name to book an extra seat. Anyone have experience booking extra seat and not having it canceled but the auto cancel bot?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by whistler814
Running into this auto cancel bot while booking an extra seat for a musical instrument. The instructions on the WN website say to use the traveler’s name plus an appended XS to the middle name to book an extra seat. Anyone have experience booking extra seat and not having it canceled but the auto cancel bot?
Don't append the XS. Make XS the entire middle name.

It was never a problem while I was COS.
jmw, whistler814 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Don't append the XS. Make XS the entire middle name.

It was never a problem while I was COS.
Thanks. Did you also enter your secure flight info (DOB, gender) and RR#?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The auto cancelbot has been made much more aggressive to the point that it regularly cancels valid XS reservations. There are very few reservation agents who can book it perfectly so that it won't autocancel. And WN Customer Relations has had trouble making bookings that won't autocancel either.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. Did you also enter your secure flight info (DOB, gender) and RR#?
For the second seat enter DOB and gender only.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 4:15 pm

Thank you and congrats to the new you!
Old May 23, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Early last week, booked a res for late this upcoming week. But Friday last week I realized I may have to change plans, but wasn't quite sure. Since Memorial Day was coming up, I was surprised to find a N/S to the new destination that actually wasn't an arm and a leg- BUT it was 2.5hrs before my original flight (same origin point) took off. So I booked it on Friday and prayed that the Ghost of Herb would protect me from CancelBot's Saturday Night Sweep. Saturday comes and goes and I think I'm in the clear- but I just got an E-mail just now (Sunday night PST) saying my first res got nuked by CancelBot. It turns out my new res is the one I'll keep, so "no harm, no foul" this time, but CancelBot apparently springs to life on Sundays now (? too). And I don't know what CB's exact criterion is, but I could have hopped on (someone else's) plane within ~20 mins of landing on my new res and made it to my original flight, so "technically" possible.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
... canceling the ... bookings at the end of the second day following my creation of the new reservations.
Huh. Yeah, that's my timeframe too (booked Fri, CancelBotted Sun night). (I wonder where "Saturday Night Sweep" came from, then?)
Old May 23, 2022, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Huh. Yeah, that's my timeframe too (booked Fri, CancelBotted Sun night). (I wonder where "Saturday Night Sweep" came from, then?)
Are you thinking of Delta's "Saturday Night Sweep" where schedules are adjusted? I don't see any mention of a Saturday sweep in this thread, and always assumed it was nightly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.