Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat premier, Visa Infinite, Amex Plat
Hi,

I am very new to SW and I am intrigued with the Companion Pass.

Can I just transfer in X amount of Marriott Reward points to obtain the Pass? I thought I read somewhere that transfers in do not count?

if I can, how many points would I need to transfer in?

Do I have to use these points with SW during a set timeframe or do they just sit there in the Rapid Rewards account until whenever?

Thanks in advance.

Todd
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunbum
Hi,

I am very new to SW and I am intrigued with the Companion Pass.

Can I just transfer in X amount of Marriott Reward points to obtain the Pass? I thought I read somewhere that transfers in do not count?

if I can, how many points would I need to transfer in?

Do I have to use these points with SW during a set timeframe or do they just sit there in the Rapid Rewards account until whenever?

Thanks in advance.Todd
Transfers are back on until 3/31/2017

There is no set time to use points but you have to earn points every 24 months to not lose them. Since you will have CP for at least 21 months you should use 120K Southwest points and then some.

You need at least 270K Marriott points
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Transfers are back on until 3/31/2017

There is no set time to use points but you have to earn points every 24 months to not lose them. Since you will have CP for at least 21 months you should use 120K Southwest points and then some.

You need at least 270K Marriott points
Sorry to be a pain in the butt.

So I can't just transfer the MR points? I must get a travel package to send the "air" points to SW, then I have a 5/7 day Marriott cert on file. Is that correct?

Will the 270k get me the CP? I basically have no additional SW points at this time.

I don't understand your 120k SW points comment??

Thanks again.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to be a pain in the butt.

So I can't just transfer the MR points? I must get a travel package to send the "air" points to SW, then I have a 5/7 day Marriott cert on file. Is that correct?

Will the 270k get me the CP? I basically have no additional SW points at this time.

I don't understand your 120k SW points comment??

Thanks again.
You call and tell them what package you want to redeem. If you plan on staying in the hotel make sure you fnd a cat 5 Marriott that you actually want to stay in. If a Cat 5 won't meet your needs you need to redeem more points. We are redeeming 330K Marriott for a cat 7 hotel.

You can redeem for a cat 5 and upgrade later on.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

I'm not sure what you don't understand about the 120K WN points. You will get 120K WN points when you redeem your package.

If you plan on getting any real value out of your Companion pass you will go through those 120K points flying in the next 22 months so you shouldn't have to worry about those points expiring.

I use about 120K WN points a year

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 17, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Yes you could do a direct hotel to airline transfer, but it would be wasting points.

You need 110k Rapid Reward points to get a CP. A direct point to point transfer from Marriott to WN would cost you 310k MR points just to get 110k WN RR points. And you get no 7 night hotel voucher from that transaction either.

Much better to follow flyer4512s advice and buy the Travel Package for 270k MR points.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:45 am

Thank you both for your help. I am getting closer.

MR = Marriott Reward points
RR= Rapid Reward points
WN=?????

I am assuming the 120k WN(?) points don't expire unless your SW account is dormant for 2 years??

Other than that, I think I got this.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:07 am

Thank you both for your help. I am getting closer.

MR = Marriott Reward points
RR= Rapid Reward points
WN=?????

I am assuming the 120k WN(?) points don't expire unless your SW account is dormant for 2 years??

Other than that, I think I got this.

Thanks again for your help.
WN=Southwest, it is their IATA code and one of the most common ways they are referred to on this board.

Given the context of this thread, MR is likely used to refer to Marriott Rewards, but AMEX points are called Membership Rewards and are also often abbreviated MR.

And correct the 120K RR points don't expire unless your account becomes inactive. Once you have the pass you can add a companion on any flight (as long as there is a seat available) whether you purchased it or bought it with points, and the available seat doesn't have to be in the same fare class, so if you buy a WGA and only Anytime are left, you can still add your companion.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:30 am

And activity to keep the points from expiring needs to be adding points; redeeming them doesn't count, and neither does getting points back from cancelling or rebooking an award.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:35 am

Awesome. I think I understand it now. I just need to deicide if it is in my best interest.

Thanks again to all.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:14 pm

Companion pass clarification

Pleas help, I'm confused!!!
I just received the Chase Sapphire 100,000 points card. If I get the points posted before March 31, can I transfer those into the Southwest account and they WILL count towards a companion pass? (Yes or No?). I have called SW and they give me the vague answer of: well I don't know Chase's rules...
Thank you,
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:09 pm

Direct transfers from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Southwest RR do not count towards Companion Pass. The generally least bad way, before March 31, is to convert them through Hyatt, but you lose around half the points.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:25 pm

Hey guys. I got 2 WN cards and will get 104k points from the min spend & the bonus points. looking for an easy way to get the last 6k points for a CP without spending 6k on the WN cards. (opened 5 new cards lately so i have a lot of spend i need to spread around)

Can I use Chase UR points to somehow get to WN with CPQP?
I also have skymiles, and my brother has AMEX MR points that he would prob give me if its the best way to go.

NOT looking to spend 270k points for Marriot.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gotkwah
Hey guys. I got 2 WN cards and will get 104k points from the min spend & the bonus points. looking for an easy way to get the last 6k points for a CP without spending 6k on the WN cards. (opened 5 new cards lately so i have a lot of spend i need to spread around)

I also have skymiles, and my brother has AMEX MR points that he would prob give me if its the best way to go.

You can get the final 6K CPQP's via a Hyatt or Marriott point transfer to WN but it has to be completed ( to be safe) by 3/31/17.

UR to WN won't count for CP, you need to got UR/Hyatt/WN. 15K Hyatt will get you 7200 CPQP. Since you only need 6K you can probably transfer less but I'll leave that question for someone wo has done a Hyatt to WN transfer
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by gotkwah

Hyatt points can be transferred in 1,250 point increments with a minimum of 5,000 per transfer. This will net you 600 Rapid Reward points per 1,250. Since you need an additional 6,000 points you would need to transfer 12,500 Hyatt points. Ultimate Reward points can be transferred to Hyatt in 1,000 point increments this means you will need to transfer 13,000 points to Hyatt so you can transfer 12,500 to Southwest leaving you with an orphaned 500 points in your Hyatt account.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Hyatt points can be transferred in 1,250 point increments with a minimum of 5,000 per transfer. This will net you 600 Rapid Reward points per 1,250. Since you need an additional 6,000 points you would need to transfer 12,500 Hyatt points. Ultimate Reward points can be transferred to Hyatt in 1,000 point increments this means you will need to transfer 13,000 points to Hyatt so you can transfer 12,500 to Southwest leaving you with an orphaned 500 points in your Hyatt account.
sounds like i should do 10,000 UR points and get 4800 RR, and spend the extra $1200 on the credit card. (I think i have already spent $600 of that so just another $600 to go)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.