Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Originally Posted by nightowlrn
OH good God! I just started the two CC process. arrgggggg
me too
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Is it true that you can change your designated companion up to 3 times during the time you have your CP? If so, how does a guy do that online, or do you have to call in?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is it true that you can change your designated companion up to 3 times during the time you have your CP? If so, how does a guy do that online, or do you have to call in?
Its 3 times per calendar year, so if you just got your companion you have 3 changes in 2017, and then 3 more in 2018. I believe the only way to change companion is to call in and keep in mind any reservations with your old companion when you change will be deleted so make sure your trips are completed and not just booked when you change your companion.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Trying to figure out if I should dump for a Travel Package now and do the 2-credit card trick in 2019.

Decisions.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Definitely a toss up. Need a crystal ball to see if the offer will still be around in 2019. I much fear given the new FASB something has to give.

What are your thoughts about my #41 post above? I'm still debating about pulling the trigger as I'll probably have little need for it with another kid on the way but it does seem too good (almost free) to pass up...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Definitely a toss up. Need a crystal ball to see if the offer will still be around in 2019. I much fear given the new FASB something has to give.

What are your thoughts about my #41 post above? I'm still debating about pulling the trigger as I'll probably have little need for it with another kid on the way but it does seem too good (almost free) to pass up...
Yeah, this new FASB thing is going to be very interesting to watch. WN once said it would be "material," which could mean a lot of things.

I think a lot of this has to do with how many outside points you have and how fast you get more. I have a TON of URs coming in from 2 Inks, but that will get scaled back when they go from 5x to 3x. But I have no Marriott.

Marriott points I think are generally considered to be worth about half of what WN are. I think that is reasonable. So if you have a lot of Marriotts, using 270k of them for 120k WN plus 2-year CP plus a week seems pretty clear.

My question is whether to burn URs 1:1 for Marriotts. 270k URs is 4.5 trips to Europe on UA, right (60k each)? Pretty valuable.

And it would matter to me if the WN trips were tax-deductible or not, how much I planned to fly, and whether I cared about A-List.

Lots of considerations.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:30 pm

For sure. If they have to defer 9% (a number out of a hat) of revenue for revenue bookings, imagine what a CP is going to require. They may scale that back pretty quick.

Shoot, I have a pile of UR's too, what is the 5x to 3x all about? I got to give those attention like I understand WN & MR & SPG points.

Business travel days are likely over, personal flying is likely limited given the new family configuration and local job demands, A List or + likely never to happen again and perks can be replaced easily enough except for the point multiplers. Ugh.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Trying to figure out if I should dump for a Travel Package now and do the 2-credit card trick in 2019.

Decisions.
If you would use the 7 night stay within 2 years ( or maybe even 3 years) what do you have to lose ?

I have CP until 12/31/2017 and we are getting CP via a TP for my wife until 12/31 2018. We will both have CP for about 10 months in 2017 and may take our kids on a trip or 2.

My wife is under 4/24 come November 2017 so we are going to get CP for her again in 2018 if the CC route is still available. This way we have almost a year to spend the $10K.

IMO CP was set up for people who fly their way to CP. That's why it's good for the year you earn it and the year after thinking most people will need nearly a year to fly that much. I could see CP changing a lot of ways one being that it's a rolling 12 month period from when you qualify.

Originally Posted by joshua362
Definitely a toss up. Need a crystal ball to see if the offer will still be around in 2019. I much fear given the new FASB something has to give. .
What is FASB ? Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 13, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Andre141
Can someone double check my homework and make sure this will work before I do it?

I have 130,000 Chase Ultimate reward points (got from CSR). I'm going to transfer them to Marriott.

Then I'm going to buy 30,000 SPG points and transfer to Marriott points, which will equal 90,000 points for a total of 220,000 points with Marriott. That will cost $1050

Then I'm going to buy 50,000 Marriott points (for $6XX) which will bring me to 270,000 Marriott points which I'll then redeem for the 7 night/120,000 Southwest point vacation package, which will yield me companion pass, 7 nights with Marriott, and 120,000 rapid rewards points.

Does all that sound right??

I already have a SPG amex and I'm over 5/24 so additional credit card bonuses are out I think...

Also, with the Marriott vacation package, do you have to use the full 7 nights all in one stay or can you break it up (like 3 nights here, and then 4 nights there)
Just thought I respond to my own post and update anyone interested.

I did it and it worked. I just got my CP confirmation, designated my companion and already added her to 2 existing reservations.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:46 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
What is FASB ?
More info than you wanted:
http://www.slideshare.net/PWC/pwc-loyalty-programs-revenue-recognition
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
What is FASB ? Thanks
Financial Accounting Standards Board

Public companies are generally expected to follow their standards.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:15 pm

I stopped caring after #95. As a CPA. The most boring, drying, confusing, unclear thing you will ever read... Bottom line is that if it interferes with a publically traded entity to report earnings GROWTH quarter over quarter into the future, it will be very bad for us...

Last edited by joshua362; Jan 14, 2017 at 7:23 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
I read through the thread but didn't see an answer. If I already have 10000 SWA Companion pass points for this year, can I go with one of the lower packages that transfers over 100k points from Marriott to SWA, vs the one that does 110k to earn Companion pass?

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by orisky
I read through the thread but didn't see an answer. If I already have 10000 SWA Companion pass points for this year, can I go with one of the lower packages that transfers over 100k points from Marriott to SWA, vs the one that does 110k to earn Companion pass?

Thanks!
Yes. It's just that people prefer the 120k packages because the incremental rate (1 RR points per 2 Marriott points) is favorable, assuming you have the necessary Marriott points.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. It's just that people prefer the 120k packages because the incremental rate (1 RR points per 2 Marriott points) is favorable, assuming you have the necessary Marriott points.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.