Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Pass Hotel Transfers are allowed again, through March 31, 2017 only!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

my brother has over 1mm Membership Rewards points, and is about to get married. he is wondering if its worth converting any of those to get a WN CP?

1) how would you get from Membership Rewards to RR?
2) is it worth it in your expert opinions?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

You can transfer membership rewards to SPG at a 3 to 1 ratio. Then transfer the SPG points to Marriott at a 1 to 3 ratio. At which point you can use the Marriott nights and flights award to get a 7-night stay plus 120k Southwest points for as low as 270k points.

The problem is you are running out of time and I have no idea how long it takes for the membership rewards to SPG transfer to occur. Plus if you do not want to stay in a cat 5 or lower Marriott hotel you have to transfer more points. For instance Cat 9 is 390k points.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by kenban
You can transfer membership rewards to SPG at a 3 to 1 ratio. Then transfer the SPG points to Marriott at a 1 to 3 ratio. At which point you can use the Marriott nights and flights award to get a 7-night stay plus 120k Southwest points for as low as 270k points.

The problem is you are running out of time and I have no idea how long it takes for the membership rewards to SPG transfer to occur. Plus if you do not want to stay in a cat 5 or lower Marriott hotel you have to transfer more points. For instance Cat 9 is 390k points.
so it would take 270k x 3=810,000mem rew to get the 7 nights + 120k WN + CP?

is that worth it?? seems crazy unless you really use the hell out of the CP
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by gotkwah

Nope - it would only take 270K: 270K AmEx MR transfers to 90K SPG, which transfers back to 270K Marriott Rewards for the package. Timing would be your only issue - I have no past experience to know how long the AmEx>SPG or Marriott>WN transfers take, unfortunately.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

You are missing the fact that the double conversion cancels itself so it is overall a little less than 1 to 1.

270k membership rewards can convert into 90k Starwood (almost it is actually 1000 to 333 so convert an extra 1000 points).

90k Starwood converts to 270k Marriott

So almost a 1 to 1 ratio of membership rewards to Marriott, you just lose a little when they convert to SPG.

Marriott to Southwest airlines takes 24-48 hours typically. SPG to Marriott occurs instantly. My concern is Membership rewards to Southwest.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Nope - it would only take 270K: 270K AmEx MR transfers to 90K SPG, which transfers back to 270K Marriott Rewards for the package. Timing would be your only issue - I have no past experience to know how long the AmEx>SPG or Marriott>WN transfers take, unfortunately.
Originally Posted by kenban
You are missing the fact that the double conversion cancels itself so it is overall a little less than 1 to 1.

270k membership rewards can convert into 90k Starwood (almost it is actually 1000 to 333 so convert an extra 1000 points).

90k Starwood converts to 270k Marriott

So almost a 1 to 1 ratio of membership rewards to Marriott, you just lose a little when they convert to SPG.

Marriott to Southwest airlines takes 24-48 hours typically. SPG to Marriott occurs instantly. My concern is Membership rewards to Southwest.
Can anyone else comment on the timeline to do this? is it still possible at this point?

he read somewhere that there is a 50k limit on points into Marriott per calendar year - is that true? that would prevent this from working

THANKS!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

he read somewhere that there is a 50k limit on points into Marriott per calendar year - is that true? that would prevent this from working
The 50k limit is for transfers between two different people.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
You can only buy 50k Marriott points per year as well ($625)
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:57 am

Can anyone else comment on the timeline to do this? is it still possible at this point?

THANKS!
3/20
Purchased SPG points (mine and spouse) early am
Request online transfer of spouse SPG points to my Spg account early am
Purchased MR points early am
SPG points in account instant
3/21
Purchased MR points in my account early am
3/22
Spouse SPG points in my account - early am
Converted SPG points to MR points
Called to purchase MR hotel / point package - 8am

Now just waiting for 120,000 rapid rewards points to show up. Marriott confirmation Email states allow 6 weeks for mileage transfer but Marriott Rep stated allow 3 business days.

So.....hoping my CP will be done by Monday , 3/27.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
he read somewhere that there is a 50k limit on points into Marriott per calendar year - is that true?
As kenban stated the 50K they were talking about was probably the 50K/year limit on point transfers into your account from other's accounts.

But even the 50k yearly limit has a workaround. You can transfer more than 50K when needed to order a specific award. The award has to be ordered when the the transfer itself occurs, but as long as the award ordered is cancel-able, nothing says you can't cancel the award and get all the points dumped into your account.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Lovemaui
3/20
Purchased SPG points (mine and spouse) early am
Request online transfer of spouse SPG points to my Spg account early am
Purchased MR points early am
SPG points in account instant
3/21
Purchased MR points in my account early am
3/22
Spouse SPG points in my account - early am
Converted SPG points to MR points
Called to purchase MR hotel / point package - 8am

Now just waiting for 120,000 rapid rewards points to show up. Marriott confirmation Email states allow 6 weeks for mileage transfer but Marriott Rep stated allow 3 business days.

So.....hoping my CP will be done by Monday , 3/27.
I redeemed for a TP yesterday. My 120k CPQPs have already posted (just about exactly 24-hours later).
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:39 pm

Called in to initiate my Marriott transfer / hotel + air package. Phone agent quoted 1-3 business day transfer time without being prompted. Other data points also indicate ~2 business days.

Good luck to anyone trying to knock this out at the last minute!
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:56 pm

CP - done in 5 days

Originally Posted by FindAWay
I redeemed for a TP yesterday. My 120k CPQPs have already posted (just about exactly 24-hours later).
My TP posted points posted between 8:30am -11:30am today, so just a little over 24 hrs. Now I have my CP, so started Monday am and done 11:30am today. Now I don't have to sweat the weekend nor think about the up to 6 weeks to post my TP miles.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:44 pm

Hi, just need a objective view on if I should acquire the cp with 7 day travel package.
I have 66spg pts. I have 22,000Marriott pts. I have 150,000 chase reward pts. I live in a small town and we do have a airport with the three main carriers, American, United, Delta and Allegiant. AirTran was one of our carriers before the sw merger. After the merger they left, which was a bummer. AirTan was replace with Allegiant in our area.
The closest airport with sw is 2.5hr away.
Do you think it's worth getting the sw marriott deal wiath the nearest sw being that far away.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 23, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Myrtle73
Hi, just need a objective view on if I should acquire the cp with 7 day travel package.
I have 66spg pts. I have 22,000Marriott pts. I have 150,000 chase reward pts. I live in a small town and we do have a airport with the three main carriers, American, United, Delta and Allegiant. AirTran was one of our carriers before the sw merger. After the merger they left, which was a bummer. AirTan was replace with Allegiant in our area.
The closest airport with sw is 2.5hr away.
Do you think it's worth getting the sw marriott deal with the nearest sw being that far away.
Thanks in advance
#1 - Can you get one with those numbers? Need 270,000 Marriott points, not sure how the others convert.

#2 - Only you know that answer. If it was only 30 minutes away would that make a difference? Be more inclined to take short weekend trips? Does your lifestyle, obligations and energy allow you to take multiple trips over the next 21 months? Or is there a possible business use for it?

The 120,000 incremental post cost over a 150,000 7 night Cat5 stay equates to almost another 6 night Cat5 stay somewhere. Is 50% off travel (actually 100% off up to a point) for the next 21 months worth those nights plus the 5 hour car ride to use them?

These are the questions I would ask self

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.