Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
So I never saw the original email the WN sent me about this, but luckily they sent me a follow up this week. I fly SNA to the Bay often for work and actually choose UA to SFO in order to maintain status even though SJC is WAY more convenient for where I'm going. It looks like I'm doing pretty well to hit UA Gold again so I'm thinking my next 5 business trips to the Bay might just be on WN.

Then I just need to figure out how to maximize the value of CP next year. Probably means a lot of little weekend trips and maybe no big international vacation next year.

Last activity on WN was 11/2014 so nice way to lure me back in!
Old Aug 14, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by jasonvr
I fly SNA to the Bay often for work and actually choose UA to SFO in order to maintain status even though SJC is WAY more convenient for where I'm going.
I was doing that as well (flying SNA-SFO) instead of the more convenient SJC. Not for UA status, but because of the Centurion Lounge in SFO. UA pissed me off so much, I switched to WN to SJC right before I was offered the fast track. Unfortunately I didn't notice the offer until after I already made two round trips on WN. I'll make the target in September.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:00 am

I'm going to give this a shot as well. When I got the offer, I already had an RT planned but not purchased, so that's two legs. Unfortunately I can't switch another planned trip to WN, so I'm still left with needing 8 OWs. The boring way for me is SFO-ONT-SJC after work on four different nights. Theoretically I could also use Cranky Flier's itinerary and start with a SJC-LAX-OAK and end at SFO, but the tight connections and lack of outs in the Bay Area concern me.

Instead I'm going to do a day of OAK-LAS-LAX-LAS-LAX-LAS-OAK-LAX-OAK.
  1. WN1888 / OAK-LAS / 6:00am - 7:25am
  2. WN578 / LAS-LAX / 8:20am - 9:25am
  3. WN1817 / LAX-LAS / 11:00am - 12:05pm
  4. WN158 / LAS-LAX / 1:35pm - 2:45pm
  5. WN2106 / LAX-LAS / 3:45pm - 4:50pm
  6. WN1964 / LAS-OAK / 5:55pm - 7:20pm
  7. WN1603 / OAK-LAX / 8:00pm - 9:15pm
  8. WN474 / LAX-OAK / 10:00pm - 11:10pm
Total is just shy of $420.

It's the last OAK-LAX turn that I think is most unlikely. If things aren't on time, I'll just stop after 6 legs. But if somehow disaster strikes earlier in the day and I get stuck in LA, at least I'll have that last flight home.

Looking at flight data, this would have worked two days last week, but not on two other days. I'm not sure why WN678 was diverted / late on on the 12th, nor what happened to WN158 on the 11th. So at the outset, I'll give myself a coin flip of pulling it off, maybe a bit better. I'll be watching the flights over the next few weeks to see how many days it works. If it doesn't seem possible, SFO-ONT-SJC (conveniently the same aircraft) it'll be for me.

Thoughts/comments appreciated!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by AS Todd
I'm going to give this a shot as well. When I got the offer, I already had an RT planned but not purchased, so that's two legs. Unfortunately I can't switch another planned trip to WN, so I'm still left with needing 8 OWs. The boring way for me is SFO-ONT-SJC after work on four different nights. Theoretically I could also use Cranky Flier's itinerary and start with a SJC-LAX-OAK and end at SFO, but the tight connections and lack of outs in the Bay Area concern me.

It's the last OAK-LAX turn that I think is most unlikely. If things aren't on time, I'll just stop after 6 legs. But if somehow disaster strikes earlier in the day and I get stuck in LA, at least I'll have that last flight home.

Looking at flight data, this would have worked two days last week, but not on two other days. I'm not sure why WN678 was diverted / late on on the 12th, nor what happened to WN158 on the 11th. So at the outset, I'll give myself a coin flip of pulling it off, maybe a bit better. I'll be watching the flights over the next few weeks to see how many days it works. If it doesn't seem possible, SFO-ONT-SJC (conveniently the same aircraft) it'll be for me.

Not sure if you had seen this, but This Guy made it work. Obviously a lot of variables in play, and slightly different routing but it is/was doable.

Good luck & please report back as to how it goes.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
That guy got help from southwest.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:48 pm

My mom got this offer and I signed her up for the program before booking some of her trips this summer. But when I look in her "promotions" section of her account, I don't see the sign-up to confirm it. Is there any way to do check on this (there must be and I'm just missing it, I'm sure....)?

'Sure wish I'd gotten the offer. I wonder if it had to do with your home address' physical proximity to any of the CA airports? I ask because neither DH or I received it (we're 90 miles from SMF, the closest "regular" airport) but mom, son and daughter-in-law all received it and are within 10 miles of SNA... Hmmmm...
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:59 pm

When I look under promotions the offer is still there and says I registered.

My address is at least 24 or 25 miles from the closest airport. I think it has to do with you flying with southwest in prior years yet you stopped flying them now so they want you back as a customer.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:22 pm

Thanks--I spotted it in her account now (it was in the vertical "promotions" window, not the "promotions" tab on her log-in screen).

All three of the promotion recipients fly SWA regularly and have flown and booked flights within the past three months. Still wish SWA had targeted us because none of the others will really *use* it and we definitely would. We had it for 23 months ending with Jan. 1, 2016 and, as, ahem, a woman of a certain age, DH and I used it a lot to visit grandkids, vacation around the US and just head out of town for a trip. Sigh... Maybe that's why they didn't offer it to us this year
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
For the first time in my FT life, I am also doing strictly mileage runs for this promotions. From time to time, I've added segments to planned flights, but nothing related to just flying around all day. I will do 6 o/w on one day and 4 o/w on another day touching four different SW airports. I sort of avoided the summer for various reasons, but hope I can finish everything on these two days in September. Most of the fares were of the $69ish type, but did get a few $39 fares.

I'll share some things that MR folks know.

-It is hard to configure flights to avoid lots of time sitting in airports because SW does cluster flights around demand times and also avoids competitor times in some cases.
-I am no blogger, so I just hope (like everyone else) that the flights run on-time
-I did book everything as one-ways.
-While I found the flex day calendars useful for finding cheaper flight days, sometimes these lower fares were on just a few flights per day, but if you looked further out, it is easier to find
-Because most targeted people haven't flown SW in quite some time, this pop in revenue is going to be very nice for the airline (with the companion cost seeming to be not of much concern to the airline) and it fills some seats that would likely otherwise not be used.

I am sure that I am not alone in being okay if SW just gave me the flight credits without actually flying, and the issue of delays just brings lots of trepidation to the plan.

Rasheed
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:30 am

I have changed all my AA flights for work to SW and also booked 2 RT on my own just to get this companion pass. I found two that are $36 (LAX-PHX) and $39 (LGB-OAK)

So ya SW is going to see a tiny pop in revenue with this and most flights are not full so I guess they "don't really care" about you bringing a companion on all your flights.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by AS Todd

My worry with doing this type of run is what happens with IRROPS and one way tickets.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:10 pm
JCN

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
This is a great thread.

I am A-list because I flew WN quite a bit last year. My WN activity this year is minimal mostly because I've been adjusting my itineraries to shoot for AA EXP. I did get this offer and the two other guys I share an office with did not. They continued to fly WN frequently and they were not targeted. This isn't scientific evidence but it seems that the offer was targeted towards fliers that haven't flow WN much recently?!?

I already have 3 RTs planned that will count towards the promotion. It's the remaining two that I am skeptical about. Are there many $39 weekend fares that I can use for a mini mileage run? Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JCN

I already have 3 RTs planned that will count towards the promotion. It's the remaining two that I am skeptical about. Are there many $39 weekend fares that I can use for a mini mileage run? Thanks!
Yup plenty. I've booked one from lax to phx and one from lgb to oak for the sole purpose of segment running.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Follow the flight deal and if you see a price drop for the segment that you are about to go on, there's a good chance that WN will match the price drop of competitors, unannounced.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:58 am

Oh! Has it been proven that if we book two one ways ie. LAX-LAS and then LAS-LAX thats less than 4 hours apart Southwest wont merged them together and make them as one trip with a layover?

The option came up where i dont have to spend 6 hours at the airport doing nothing... so I would like to rebook and come right back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.