Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

California-Targeted Fast Track to Companion Pass

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Yes. No.
Thanks! Looks like I'll be getting a CP and burning through my WN unused credits.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedElmo
If I use citi thank you points to book a flight is that considered a revenue flight?
It seems like citi actually pays for the ticket.
This typically works, yes, but I would not bet the farm on it.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 7:12 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Also got the California CP offer! I'm very tempted to take advantage of the $39 flights between OAK-LGB and spend a Tuesday or Wednesday working remotely shuttling back and forth. Looking at their schedule, I can probably fit 5 one way flights into a day. 3 questions though:

1) Turnaround time between flights is only 30 minutes. Does anyone know if the same plane is used to go back and forth? (Or if one segment gets delayed, will my entire day get messed up?)
2) When booking connections or roundtrips on the Southwest website, they require a minimum of 35 minutes between flights. Will manually booking one way tickets be possible?
3) Given that I would be taking 5 one way trips between the same airports within 24 hours, will I have any problems checking in for for multiple reservations concurrently? (I'm currently A-List if that changes things)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
It may get counted as one trip.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by ryw
Also got the California CP offer! I'm very tempted to take advantage of the $39 flights between OAK-LGB and spend a Tuesday or Wednesday working remotely shuttling back and forth. Looking at their schedule, I can probably fit 5 one way flights into a day. 3 questions though:

1) Turnaround time between flights is only 30 minutes. Does anyone know if the same plane is used to go back and forth? (Or if one segment gets delayed, will my entire day get messed up?)
2) When booking connections or roundtrips on the Southwest website, they require a minimum of 35 minutes between flights. Will manually booking one way tickets be possible?
3) Given that I would be taking 5 one way trips between the same airports within 24 hours, will I have any problems checking in for for multiple reservations concurrently? (I'm currently A-List if that changes things)
Your day could be ruined, but I believe SWA will refund your price if you notify them at least 10 minutes before flight time. I would fly on my day off and have enough points in a hotel program to book a room if needed.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Originally Posted by soopra
If I have unused funds from a previously cancelled flight and I use those funds to book a round trip flight from SFO, will that count as a "revenue" flight under this promotion? Or, just to be safe, should I just book a flight using my credit card and hold off on using my unused funds until after I get the CP?

I'll be doing a few mileage runs to qualify for the CP but I want to make sure my flights counts towards the 5 rounds trips if I use some leftover funds I have in my Southwest account.

Thanks!
Sounds to me as though it is a revenue flight, you are pay for it with money not points.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ryw

1. Given the extremely limited slot allocation to Southwest I'm pretty sure it's the same plane. Check flightaware.
2. Yes.
3. No.

I think this plan will work fine. I would be confident booking it. I think Southwest will fix any problems that occur, especially if you do it during hours that Customer Relations is open (weekdays only).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by ryw
This is a violation of the Contract of Carriage. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations between the same cities for the same passenger on the same day. According to the Contract of Carriage these reservations are subject to cancellation. Whether that would happen or even if Southwest can check is something I can't say.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
This is a violation of the Contract of Carriage. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations between the same cities for the same passenger on the same day. According to the Contract of Carriage these reservations are subject to cancellation. Whether that would happen or even if Southwest can check is something I can't say.
They prohibit speculative reservations but these will actually be flown.

Besides, we have had zero reports here of cancellations by Southwest of multiple reservations.

If Southwest canceled the trips, a call to Customer Relations would fix that.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by nsx
They prohibit speculative reservations but these will actually be flown.

Besides, we have had zero reports here of cancellations by Southwest of multiple reservations.

If Southwest canceled the trips, a call to Customer Relations would fix that.
That may be but how could Southwest know in advance if a reservation is speculative? The actual language does not mention speculation but also says the reservations could be canceled without notice. The risk may be nearly nonexistent but the OP should be aware of it. Here is that actual language:

2. a. (2) (v) Multiple Reservations. Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date. Furthermore, without notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 12, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Am I loco, or is anyone else going to cancel and re-price at a higher fare in order to qualify for the promo?

As it is I will need to do some "mileage runs" to meet the promo, and it seems foolish to fly a non-qualifying paid segment if I can reprice for $10-20 per ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:20 am

You can only have two boarding passes out at one time so you're probably not going to have an A boarding pass for the last trips once you check in, but you'll get to board after A60. Usually only the airport notices the multiple reservations if you talk to someone. If you can get your BP on your phone, you should be good. LGB might catch on- how many employees will actually be working there? Otherwise, tell them exactly what you're doing, that you are actually flying those reservations, and please don't cancel them.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Am I loco, or is anyone else going to cancel and re-price at a higher fare in order to qualify for the promo?

As it is I will need to do some "mileage runs" to meet the promo, and it seems foolish to fly a non-qualifying paid segment if I can reprice for $10-20 per ticket.
The offer is good... Do what you need. I'm considering flying several flights just to get the pass! If I can get 2-3 work trips I will fly 2-3 trips out of pocket to get this pass!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Boraxo

Its priceless if you actually use it and worthless if you don't. Only you know the answer to that.

As I've written before and the fact the WN offered such a sweet deal in a hugely populous state like CA, the actual utilization must be much less than anticipation when earning it otherwise WN would have yanked it long ago...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26879839-post4.html
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Its priceless if you actually use it and worthless if you don't. Only you know the answer to that.

As I've written before and the fact the WN offered such a sweet deal in a hugely populous state like CA, the actual utilization must be much less than anticipation when earning it otherwise WN would have yanked it long ago...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26879839-post4.html
I figure that if you earn CP via Credit Card Southwest probably makes about $1,000 on it, but if Chase paid the "face value" it would be more like $1,400. Southwest's average fare in 2014 was $163 assuming it's 10% more now then the average would be around $180. That means that the $1,000 would pay for 5.5 average trips, but it doesn't cost Southwest $180 to actually fly someone. Assuming the average CP holder does 3-4 round trips per year then Southwest about breaks even. If a person earns the CP by CC spend or by BIS then Southwest probably does a good bit better.

I'm sure Southwest has better metrics that this but as a rough idea if all CP holders average 5 round trips per year then it probably works for Southwest. My wife is kind of close each year but we decided that making the additional effort would cost as much or more than the benefit. The biggest benefit would be the discounted holiday travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.