Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A+ boarding position

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN A-list Preferred, Companion pass, United 1k, Marriott Platinu,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PAX62
Had an associate today tell me that overall lifetime points were factored into the boarding position assignments, not just current status.
Was told the same thing by couple fellow A+ so I contacted customer service to find out lifetime points and found out I had 4.5 million lifetime points and am still getting 25-30 so I now believe that is not a factor
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:53 am

ALP Check-In at A-35 for tomorrow

Have noticed that my boarding position number has been getting higher the last few weeks.

A-35 tomorrow, at least not A-50, but still getting higher. Been moving higher the last 4 weeks.

Hoping this isn't the start of a 2016 trend.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by BrookeFT1
Have noticed that my boarding position number has been getting higher the last few weeks.

A-35 tomorrow, at least not A-50, but still getting higher. Been moving higher the last 4 weeks.

Hoping this isn't the start of a 2016 trend.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As the year goes by and more people achieve status your number may get higher. At the beginning of the year when people who did not renew are dropped the numbers should go down.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:24 pm

There is also a current targeted promotion that started in late February. It offered some people temporary status that would be extended to the end of the year if they book and take 6 paid flights or earn a specific number of Tier Qualifing Points by the end of April. Not sure how many people got that one. I doubt there are enough of those to make much difference in boarding order.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
There is also a current targeted promotion that started in late February. It offered some people temporary status that would be extended to the end of the year if they book and take 6 paid flights or earn a specific number of Tier Qualifing Points by the end of April. Not sure how many people got that one. I doubt there are enough of those to make much difference in boarding order.
I received that email promo today...mine was complete two round trips and get A list for the remainder of the year. I hadn't flown SWA in 2 years
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by rynpilot
I received that email promo today...mine was complete two round trips and get A list for the remainder of the year. I hadn't flown SWA in 2 years
I think that's a new and different one. The previous promotions all had 3 round trips.

What are the dates?

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Mar 26, 2016 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
O think that's a new and different one. he previous promotions all had 3 round trips.

What are the dates?
"As a TSA PreCheck™ and Rapid Rewards® Member, you're already getting great benefits. We're now giving you even more by allowing you to experience A-List status and its special perks through May 25, with the opportunity to extend it.

To extend your A-List status through December 31, 2016, register, book, and complete 2 revenue roundtrip flights (or 4 revenue one-way flights), or earn 5,850 Tier Qualifying Points, between March 21 and May 25, 2016."
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
O think that's a new and different one. he previous promotions all had 3 round trips.

What are the dates?
A few of us posted updates to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...l#post26365869 thread.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

That promo should not affect the boarding position of those of us that are ALP, regardless of how many sign up.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by hiker72
That promo should not affect the boarding position of those of us that are ALP, regardless of how many sign up.
The exact criteria used to determine A-List boarding order isn't known, so despite being logical, there's no evidence that this statement is true.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ursine1
The exact criteria used to determine A-List boarding order isn't known, so despite being logical, there's no evidence that this statement is true.
A-List Preferred is ahead of A-List. That much _is_ known.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:28 am

Ah, ok... sorry. Thanks for the correction.

While it would make sense to always prioritize A+ over A, it would also seem that the algorithm could be affected by something like, say, a pax who had a ton of high value flights, but who had not yet made A+. I didn't realize that it was definitively known that A+ gets priority.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I'm not claiming NSX is wrong, however boarding ahead of A-List is not one of the stated benefits of A-List preferred. The verbiage about boarding is identical for both.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
A-List Preferred is ahead of A-List. That much _is_ known.
Originally Posted by nsx
All A-List Preferred members are assigned boarding numbers before A-List members get their numbers. An A-List Preferred member will always get a better number than all A-List members unless the reservation is made after the 36-hour deadline or something abnormal happens. [03/28/2011]
This is in writing?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 5:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by LegalTender
This is in writing?
I thought it was at one time, but maybe not. However Southwest did tell me this back in 2011:

Originally Posted by nsx
FT'ers have been wondering what happened to the ranking of boarding passes since March 1. If you are not familiar with this issue already, you can see the recent discussions in these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ed-roster.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...a40-check.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...l#post16075824

I have dropped from the top 3 A-listers on every flight to a rank of 9th to 27th on flights this month. Because I typically manage to purchase the lowest fare on every flight, re-faring the reservation if necessary, I suspected that the fare paid had suddenly become very important in deciding who gets A16. Although Southwest has always refused to disclose its ranking formula, raw flight count was obviously the primary and possibly the only criterion prior to March 1, 2011.

I recently asked Southwest for an explanation. They were happy to explain to me that:

1. Yes, the formula has changed.

2. Southwest still prefers to keep the formula secret.

3. The new formula is consistent with the emphasis of the new Rapid Rewards. I interpret this to mean that a higher fare paid and/or a higher qualifying points count over time will give you better boarding numbers. My guess, based on reports on FT, is that it's mostly the fare paid on the current flight.

4. All A-List Preferred members are assigned boarding numbers before A-List members get their numbers. An A-List Preferred member will always get a better number than all A-List members unless the reservation is made after the 36-hour deadline or something abnormal happens.

5. There were a few glitches earlier in March, but the new formula is now working as intended. The boarding number examples I sent them were accurate. I really was ranked as low as 27th among A-List Preferred members (Boarding Pass A42) today, despite my 90 annual flights. In a nutshell, this means that A40 is the new normal for some people who were accustomed to A16.

I have emphatically recommended that Southwest email all A-List members to explain that the formula has changed and it's not a software failure. Furthermore, since the point of the new formula is to reward purchase of higher fares, keeping the change entirely secret would make no sense.

If I were Southwest, I would present the change objectively:
Southwest wants to reward purchase of higher fares. To the extent this succeeds, it will improve profitability and help Southwest maintain the lowest possible fares for customers who book travel far in advance. Therefore the new policy ultimately benefits the demoted low-fare customers where it counts: in the wallet.
This is the same reason that low-fare customers generally cheered the advent and the quick success of Business Select. We were demoted 15 places in the boarding order, but the discount fares stayed lower longer. Customers are savvy enough to connect these dots if Southwest just outlines the reasoning. Respect our intelligence and we'll respect your company's honesty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.