Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
BNA, a 70% WN airport, has had PreCheck for 6 months. Does that help answer your question?
Delta and American have enough of a demographic at BNA to support precheck however. Both airlines have clubs which they typically don't have at smaller airports unless they have a large number of business travellers and offer mainline service.

AFAIK, there is no mainline service into Love field except for Southwest (which could change when the Wright amendment is lifted). I had a flight into DFW have a MX recently from ATL and was rerouted into DAL on a Delta connection on an RJ. I like the location of Love field a lot better than DFW, but it didn't impress me as the type of airport that would be elite heavy for legacy flyers like BNA and would be an airport legacies would be lobbying for precheck at.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Why does WN wait until everyone else has joined before getting on board with something? Just a few things that other airlines have had (sometimes, for years) that WN still doesn't have, nor may never have:

- Mobile boarding passes
- In-flight entertainment
- Hawaiian destinations
- A seating option with more leg room
- TSA Pre-check

Just a short list...but significant. I'm paying more to fly on WN...why no LUV?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Delta and American have enough of a demographic at BNA to support precheck however. Both airlines have clubs which they typically don't have at smaller airports unless they have a large number of business travellers and offer mainline service.

AFAIK, there is no mainline service into Love field except for Southwest (which could change when the Wright amendment is lifted). I had a flight into DFW have a MX recently from ATL and was rerouted into DAL on a Delta connection on an RJ. I like the location of Love field a lot better than DFW, but it didn't impress me as the type of airport that would be elite heavy for legacy flyers like BNA and would be an airport legacies would be lobbying for precheck at.
When I run an Orbitz search it shows United and Delta but no American Eagle.

It is not a lot of flights so the percentages are low. UA has 3 arrivals in a weekday. I did not check departures or Delta.

The American lounge is a sad leftover from the days of BNA as an AA hub. In fact, they recently closed another AA gate at BNA.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The American lounge is a sad leftover from the days of BNA as an AA hub. In fact, they recently closed another AA gate at BNA.
Actually, it was closed after those days, but reopened in 2007:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ring-07-a.html
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
When I run an Orbitz search it shows United and Delta but no American Eagle.

It is not a lot of flights so the percentages are low. UA has 3 arrivals in a weekday. I did not check departures or Delta.

American doesn't fly to DAL AFAIK. Delta uses connection service (they can't use mainline due to the wright amendment and not sure if that will change when it is lifted or not) and has five ATL flights a day. They used to have service from MEM but now that MEM is dehubbed..... Not sure if they have any other cities, but the ATL route was added last year not too long after WN started service.

AA and DL both have lounges at BNA.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Why does WN wait until everyone else has joined before getting on board with something? Just a few things that other airlines have had (sometimes, for years) that WN still doesn't have, nor may never have:

- Mobile boarding passes
- In-flight entertainment
- Hawaiian destinations
- A seating option with more leg room
- TSA Pre-check

Just a short list...but significant. I'm paying more to fly on WN...why no LUV?
Your list is fair, but I think you are missing an even bigger item, food for sale.

The new tv option handles the in-flight question for those wifi equipped planes.

Rasheed
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Your list is fair, but I think you are missing an even bigger item, food for sale.

The new tv option handles the in-flight question for those wifi equipped planes.

Rasheed
Correct on both accounts. First, Food would be a huge boon to their bottom line. Secondly, there are a great many passengers on WN who simply can't afford a tablet/laptop/netbook, allowing them to take advantage of their version of "in-flight entertainment." Having built in AVOD into the seat backs makes a big difference to those.

If Virgin America or jetBlue ever expand further, WN's going to need to pull out all the stops to remain relevant.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
...there are a great many passengers on WN who simply can't afford a tablet/laptop/netbook, allowing them to take advantage of their version of "in-flight entertainment." Having built in AVOD into the seat backs makes a big difference to those.
I think your view of the economic circumstances of WN passengers is highly flawed. Highly.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:05 am

Correct on both accounts. First, Food would be a huge boon to their bottom line. Secondly, there are a great many passengers on WN who simply can't afford a tablet/laptop/netbook, allowing them to take advantage of their version of "in-flight entertainment." Having built in AVOD into the seat backs makes a big difference to those.
If a PAX can't afford a tablet or laptop, they probably aren't going to have the funds to pay for IFE (unless you are in first class on a legacy in domestic or EC or J/F on international, you pay for IFE).

I haven't flown on a flight with the entertainment on WN yet, but the thing I would hate most about it is it draining the power on my own device seeing WN planes aren't equiped with AC seatpower outlets. You also don't have the touch screen games that legacy IFE has (I admit I love playing trivia in flight) or the music collection.

I also like having the screen built into the seatback instead of having to use my tray table and deal with unpacking and repacking my laptop/IPAD. On a recent flight my batteries died in my noise cancelling BOSE headphones and as my luck would have it, the spare battery in my case was dead and I was able to get a pair of the cheap earphones for free. If I would have been on WN, I would have been SOL.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:26 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think this thread is really getting off topic

That being said, I think food would be a mixed bag. I do appreciate the opportunity to buy real food on the legacies, BUT:

1. On DL, when they expanded their BOB options a few years ago, many of the formerly complimentary snack options were eliminated. They used to give Y passengers a choice from a snack basket of of things like granola bars, Sunchips, Biscoff cookies, nuts, etc. Now I believe it's just Biscoff or nuts.

2. B/c of the BOB program, beverage service on legacies is SLOW. I've seen it take about an hour to get through the Y cabin on a 737, with the aisle being blocked the entire time.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Circling back, I used to fly WN quite a bit more (especially before RR 2.0). Even if I ignore RR 2.0, I am getting a better deal on the legacies as an elite I think.

The Pre-Check situation is bad, WN advertises themselves on all of those commercials on how they are the largest domestic carrier. Don't let us feel that you are not a 'modern' carrier. The whole no-interlining and can't buy tickets elsewhere is bad enough.

I still think WN not selling or providing pricing to kayak and other sites is a problem, and interlining is needed (AA has taken care of me on UA, DL, etc. when needed -- it gives me a sense of trust that I don't have with WN). And I think we all agree that WN's pricing advantage (assuming I don't need to do a change) no longer exists.

Rasheed

P.S. Since someone mentioned it, I find the drink service on WN slow especially when they use the order/drink carrier method. Maybe it is more professional than using a cart, but I would strongly prefer the cart because I think it is a streamlined approach. Even VX does this at least once now per flight (run the cart down for everyone).
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by dw
I think this thread is really getting off topic

That being said, I think food would be a mixed bag. I do appreciate the opportunity to buy real food on the legacies, BUT:

1. On DL, when they expanded their BOB options a few years ago, many of the formerly complimentary snack options were eliminated. They used to give Y passengers a choice from a snack basket of of things like granola bars, Sunchips, Biscoff cookies, nuts, etc. Now I believe it's just Biscoff or nuts.

2. B/c of the BOB program, beverage service on legacies is SLOW. I've seen it take about an hour to get through the Y cabin on a 737, with the aisle being blocked the entire time.
As an elite I like the BOB program on AA and DL when I am not upgraded. On Delta I get a coupon on my boarding pass when not elited as well as coupons in my elite package every year for a free snack item/drink which is great if I don't want alcohol and on American they scan your membership card and you get a free drink and snack item. The snack boxes on Delta have quite a bit of food and sometimes I will use my HOOU and take the box to my hotel for a late dinner or take some of the uneaten items home or to my hotel for a snack.

I agree it does slow down the service on some flights since you have one FA pushing food or the same one pushing food and drinks.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:51 am

Circling back, I used to fly WN quite a bit more (especially before RR 2.0). Even if I ignore RR 2.0, I am getting a better deal on the legacies as an elite I think.

The Pre-Check situation is bad, WN advertises themselves on all of those commercials on how they are the largest domestic carrier. Don't let us feel that you are not a 'modern' carrier. The whole no-interlining and can't buy tickets elsewhere is bad enough.

I still think WN not selling or providing pricing to kayak and other sites is a problem, and interlining is needed (AA has taken care of me on UA, DL, etc. when needed -- it gives me a sense of trust that I don't have with WN). And I think we all agree that WN's pricing advantage (assuming I don't need to do a change) no longer exists.

Rasheed

P.S. Since someone mentioned it, I find the drink service on WN slow especially when they use the order/drink carrier method. Maybe it is more professional than using a cart, but I would strongly prefer the cart because I think it is a streamlined approach. Even VX does this at least once now per flight (run the cart down for everyone).
I don't mind the carts either. Delta is bringing them back for the meal service in J international by the end of the year because they can do the service faster.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
If they had the carts it would make it harder for them to hide in the galley when the pilot announces that they will be shutting down service because of rough air.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
If a PAX can't afford a tablet or laptop, they probably aren't going to have the funds to pay for IFE (unless you are in first class on a legacy in domestic or EC or J/F on international, you pay for IFE
IFE is free on jetBlue. Not sure about VA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.