Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott GC Promo - Up to 12,000 RR Points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ryoung08
Can anyone tell me how often in a given year or in the past Southwest & Marriott have this promo? I have purchased the max $1000 for this offer ending in Nov, but I will use these GC's up by January, and I have a need for more, but I am willing to hold out if this offer comes up on a regular basis. Thanks
As I was considering a second purchase with the SWA promo, I got an email with United's version. Not at all as lucrative, but it is something.

Marriott GiftCards, purchased in $150 earn 500 bonus miles, $250 earn 1,000 bonus miles or $400 earn 2,000 bonus miles allowing a maximum of 5,000 bonus miles to be awarded per member during the promotional period.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Campath
1200 SW and 500 UR points posted. Nice promo.
UR points?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
I got my second shipment last week (ordered under my wife's name and RR account number) and the 12,000 points showed up in her account this weekend. I'll have the first $1,000 used up next week, probably can't finagle a third $1,000 GC (under my daughter's name) before the deal expires though...
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Just made a second purchase (I originally purchased $800 worth of cards and got the 9,600 points back in early September) at the end of September. I received the gift cards in about 4 business days and just got the 2,400 points a little over two weeks after the purchase.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:16 pm

Does anyone know if I can purchase Marriott Gift Cards under this promo in my wifes name (gift cards) and on her RR account, but use my Marriott cardit card to pay for them? Will she still get the 12,000 WN Points? Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: SWA Rapid Rewards, Marriott Rewards
TCB click thru Marriott/Southwest

When I click thru TCB cashback to Marriott I get to a generic Marriot gift card page. I can get to the Marriott/Southwest page but not thru TCB. Will I get cash back. Thanks

https://www.marriottvacationcardoffer.com/southwest
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone tell me how often in a given year or in the past Southwest & Marriott have this promo? I have purchased the max $1000 for this offer ending in Nov, but I will use these GC's up by January, and I have a need for more, but I am willing to hold out if this offer comes up on a regular basis. Thanks
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
As I was considering a second purchase with the SWA promo, I got an email with United's version. Not at all as lucrative, but it is something.

Marriott GiftCards, purchased in $150 earn 500 bonus miles, $250 earn 1,000 bonus miles or $400 earn 2,000 bonus miles allowing a maximum of 5,000 bonus miles to be awarded per member during the promotional period.
Per this thread, there might also be (based on history) a promo coming up (soon?) giving bonus Marriott points themsevles on Marriott gift card purchases:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ual-bonus.html (in Marriott forum)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if I can purchase Marriott Gift Cards under this promo in my wifes name (gift cards) and on her RR account, but use my Marriott cardit card to pay for them? Will she still get the 12,000 WN Points? Thanks
I would think almost surely yes.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if the Marriott credit card will earn anything extra on this. Do you really earn 5 points (instead of just 1 point) per $ spent when you buy Marriott Gift Cards online???

Anyway, it's not a question of whether she will get the points. It's only a question of whether the Marriott Gift Card site will allow her to buy gift cards in her name while charging them to your credit card. (You have to buy the gift cards in her name for her to get the WN points.) I would think it depends on whether they check for a match between the name of the purchaser and the name on the credit card.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I tried that during last year's WN promotion while charging to my Chase Marriott Visa and the RR points did not post. It appears they match the buyers credit card name with the WN RR account name.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
UR points?
Yes, because the Chase Freedom gives 5 UR points for Hotel spend this quarter.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm not sure if the Marriott credit card will earn anything extra on this. Do you really earn 5 points (instead of just 1 point) per $ spent when you buy Marriott Gift Cards online???
Yep, I got 5K marriott points from marriott cc for $1000 purchase.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic
I tried that during last year's WN promotion while charging to my Chase Marriott Visa and the RR points did not post. It appears they match the buyers credit card name with the WN RR account name.
Yes, the name on the card has to match with the name on the account. If you are looking to do someone who does not have a card then fund a card (Serve or others) in their name and use it to purchase the cards for the miles. Will miss out on credit card miles but will still get the ones for the promotion.

X
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
Is this name-matching on the Marriott card only, or any credit card?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Will Chase Freedom consider this a hotel purchase for the 5% back this quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.