Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by PointAbuser
Just wanted to post and... brag? Sure. Post and brag about playing the system and getting a companion pass in just 43 days, that is then good for an entire 687 days! Woohoo!
Clap (long pause), clap (long pause), clap. Next.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP, nothing personal but this isn't a significant accomplishment and certainly isn't worthy of a new thread.
Wow. Sorry I'm not as awesome as the arrogant a-holes here who are obviously much better than I am.

Can someone point me to the post that details the minimum qualifications for an accomplishment before I'm allowed to be excited about it? Us newbies don't want to go feel like we did/accomplished something cool after putting a lot of work into it when we're obviously dumbasses who can't pull off 110k points in 3 days and don't know crap.

And yes, I beg forgiveness for not realizing that all posts related to acquiring a companion pass must absolutely and without reservation be posted in the generically titled "SW CP 2015-16" thread. I assume the forum will soon be consolidated into 9-10 monster threads? That being said, I'm sure this is also in the wrong spot. I searched for a "Incompetent newb whining" thread but did not see one, nor one titled "Sick of forum blowhard jackasses? Post it here!"

Yep. That just happened. I give this post about 4 minutes before it's deleted, because, god forbid...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:40 pm

Wow. I've been reading these forums for a few months now and didn't realize I had to come to a megathread to find all the retards ready to shat all over you because you were stupid enough to be proud of what you did.

I assume you all roll your eyes and tell your kids they are imbeciles when they come home with a 93 on their test?

*slow clap* way to go, retard.

Nothing personal son, but the other kids did better.

No one cares, Bobby, I scored 100's on my tests.

I know every forum has their fair share of jackasses, but wow, truly stunned.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Got my first 50k CC Bonus. Hit the minimum spend on the Biz Card today. I need to find a way to get 4k points now as well.

Rocking my way towards the companion pass.
My turn to be one of the "in crowd" here...

Hey returnoftheyeti, no one cares. You got a 50k bonus, whup de do, anyone who has half a brain does two cards at once for 100k.

Did I do good guys? Sufficiently make him feel like ... because he's happy he did something towards his goal, but not to the level you deem brag-worthy? Should I have been harsher?

And on THAT note, now I'm done.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:53 pm

We got our companion pass today. Here we come, Vegas and Cancun!

Wow. I've been reading these forums for a few months now and didn't realize I had to come to a megathread to find all the retards ready to shat all over you because you were stupid enough to be proud of what you did.
Dude, maybe lay off the 'R' word?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
We got our companion pass today. Here we come, Vegas and Cancun!

Dude, maybe lay off the 'R' word?
Site won't let me use the a-word, s-head-word, f-word a-word, or any of the others that convey just how I feel about those here who are better than you.

Went with what I had available. No intent to offend anyone but those my posts were directed at.

Sorry, forgot to unsubscribe from the thread.

Oh, BTW, no one cares you got your companion pass. You can only be excited and brag about it if you got it within the first 4 days of the year. Sorry. Just trying to fit in.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:13 pm

This thread is turning peanut gallery and pathetic real quick...
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
PointAbuser, you are new here and pushing it a bit. Friendly advice: back off. Spiking the ball is not a great idea.

There are people around here, acquaintances/friends of mine, with tens of millions of points/miles and God knows how much cashback.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Feb 5, 2015 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 5, 2015, 11:05 pm

I assume you all roll your eyes and tell your kids they are imbeciles when they come home with a 93 on their test?

*slow clap* way to go, retard.

Nothing personal son, but the other kids did better.

No one cares, Bobby, I scored 100's on my tests.

I know every forum has their fair share of jackasses, but wow, truly stunned.
Those comments were totally out of line.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

The end is nigh.
Hyperbole much?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by dfwgolfer1
Southwest has the worst frequent flier loyalty program domestically after this change. It was already garbage to begin with, minus the companion pass of course.
Wow. Thanks for the tip. Good thing you don't fly them.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
You don't think they hired consultants? Buddy, the airline industry changes over time, along with the economy, and this is the second change in four years. Let's at least be accurate and not claim they are changing their program every year. ...."
Reading comprehension FAIL on your part regarding consultants. I said WN "would have" brought in consultants (can't say "they did" as I obviously don't work at WN). The consultants wouldn't be revising their work one year later unless WN asked them to. Oh, and considering the last change was implemented 3/31/14 and this change is coming in April, that would mean, oh my gosh, a change every year for the past two years.

Secondly, you do know why they are changing the program, right? Because they can...
They can change the program? You off your soapbox yet? Management wants to change the program because they want to juice the numbers even more as they believe the positives will outweigh the negatives. That in turns generates higher financial rewards from the Board of Directors. Not one analyst has publicly said they need to re-haul RR again. As my posts have clearly stated: making changes year after year is excessive. Make the changes one time, don't tweak every year.

They can change it because their planes are full and their elite customers don't really have anywhere else to go because all those airlines have made punitive changes to their frequent flier plans as well. Why hold Southwest to a higher standard than DL, AA, and UA? If it's clear that at least on some flights revenue passengers are being turned away while 10, 20, or more non-rev passengers are on the flight, wouldn't you make an adjustment? .....You do realize the reason WN's RR program used to be so generous, right? It's because they were rapidly expanding and trying to knock out the competition by stealing their customers. Well, their not expanding at nearly the same clip. Not expanding at all, really, and there are no customers to steal at this point. They don't have the capacity to do so. So when you hit capacity and you're not willing to expand, what do you do? It's called supply and demand.
Using your own words, that part of your post was "superfluous noise and lends nothing to the argument at hand." The other airlines, RR's previous program, nor supply and demand have nothing to do with this. And you have zero proof that WN is losing overall business with "10, 20, or more non-rev passengers...." Who's to say those passengers aren't going on a later flight on a higher fare than the WGA fares those non-revs took up? WN is doing a makeover of its financials while the going is good. Can't say I blame them.

My point, if you could comprehend what I posted, is that the least damage caused to customer loyalty is if you do all the changes at once. A lot of people at WN and consultants were paid to make these changes. They failed if they are making another change one year later. Obviously you have a lot of bias towards WN which showed in your post.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Reading comprehension FAIL on your part regarding consultants. I said WN "would have" brought in consultants (can't say "they did" as I obviously don't work at WN). The consultants wouldn't be revising their work one year later unless WN asked them to. Oh, and considering the last change was implemented 3/31/14 and this change is coming in April, that would mean, oh my gosh, a change every year for the past two years.
No reading comprehension problems. You're proving my argument, actually. You have absolutely no idea whether Southwest hired consultants, the scope of the work, and their recommendations. It's quite possible after analysis, asked for by Southwest, they suggested a change be made based upon the parameters provided by Southwest.

As to changes, you can use the last year to help prove your point. But they didn't make changes for the first three years of the new RR 2.0 program. A little context is always necessary.

They can change the program? You off your soapbox yet? Management wants to change the program because they want to juice the numbers even more as they believe the positives will outweigh the negatives. That in turns generates higher financial rewards from the Board of Directors. Not one analyst has publicly said they need to re-haul RR again. As my posts have clearly stated: making changes year after year is excessive. Make the changes one time, don't tweak every year.
Exactly. Not too hard to comprehend, is it? Since when would Southwest pay attention to an unsolicited analyst that isn't privy to the financials of the RR 2.0 program? And this is hardly a what I would consider a rehaul. Nothing is changing about the program except the amount of points needed for WGA redemption on certain routes.

I'm not sure you understand how business works. You can't make a change to any sort of product offering one time and expect that change to last in perpetuity. Earnings change, competition changes, consumers' habits and interests change. Again, you seem to forget that they made no changes for three years after the initial 2.0 rollout.

Using your own words, that part of your post was "superfluous noise and lends nothing to the argument at hand." The other airlines, RR's previous program, nor supply and demand have nothing to do with this. And you have zero proof that WN is losing overall business with "10, 20, or more non-rev passengers...." Who's to say those passengers aren't going on a later flight on a higher fare than the WGA fares those non-revs took up? WN is doing a makeover of its financials while the going is good. Can't say I blame them.

My point, if you could comprehend what I posted, is that the least damage caused to customer loyalty is if you do all the changes at once. A lot of people at WN and consultants were paid to make these changes. They failed if they are making another change one year later. Obviously you have a lot of bias towards WN which showed in your post.
The other airlines, ie, the competition, most certainly have something to do with it. It's not a coincidence that Southwest is following other airlines who have recently devalued their program. The mention of Southwest's original program was simply to provide historical context to explain why the current program is less generous. As to supply and demand, it has everything to do with it. If the supply of seats is low and the demand for revenue seats is high, you focus on providing those revenue seats in two ways: you raise the cash price of a fare and you make it more punitive to utilize reward points.

As to the number of non-rev passengers on any given flight, it was just an example. Some flights might have none and some might have a lot. And who has problems with reading comprehension? I never claimed that Southwest was "losing overall business" due to non-rev numbers. What I did state is what Southwest has claimed: that they are raising redemption rates on WGA redemptions on certain flights/routes specifically because of limited seats:

"He attributes the change to “more demand for free flights and fewer open seats for redemptions (because of the growth in load factor from paying customers).”

You can disblieve them if you want. My point is that Southwest shouldn't be held to a different standard when it comes to their load factors and frequent flier programs. It's in the business to make money.

With regards to bias, I could say the same thing. You are obviously negatively biased. Do you even fly them?

With respect to my biases, they are my airline of choice because of the routes they fly out the city in which I live and their frequent flier program fits my needs better than any other airline. That's really all the bias I have. I have no financial stake in Southwest nor have any friends or family that work for them. I'm not happy about the devaluation, but I understand why they did it. Airlines don't exist to provide free flights - they exist to make money and offer frequent flier perks as a way to earn business and reward customers who who help make the airline financially successful. If Southwest doesn't meet your scheduling and frequent flier needs, don't fly them. Reward another airline that fits.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:46 pm

I'm not sure you understand how business works.
LOL. So now I don't know business? Because I think WN damaged customer loyalty more by doing two straight years of changes instead of one lump sum? I never said businesses don't change and I said this would be beneficial financially to WN (positives > negatives). Read my posts again. You're grasping at straws that don't even exist.

With regards to bias, I could say the same thing. You are obviously negatively biased. Do you even fly them?
I'm negatively biased because I think the RR department screwed up with changes two years a row? High-LARIOUS. I fly WN (domestic) and AA (int'l and EGE) all the time. WN more so now with DAL post-Wright and my wife just got a CP. I appreciate both for different reasons.

Originally Posted by nsx
My best guess is that management was surprised by the increase in redemption of points last year. I don't know why it would have been a surprise given the nearly continuous 50k signup bonus deals. The other possibility is that redemption was concentrated in the higher fares. In theory, redemption at anything except the lowest fare displaces revenue.
I would agree with the added point they want to make a change (which they failed to do last year) to get more points off the books for those high-demand leisure destinations. I'm sure the thought is they think people will still redeem to leisure destinations at a higher price. Take Marriott and there soon-to-be yearly category adjustment as an example. Almost all the NYC/Manhattan properties are Cat 8/9 now. I'm going up there later this week for a $140/night rate. It's ridiculous the property is going to a Cat 9 when most of the year the ADR is less than $250, but Marriott knows people will spend lots of points to go to NY on leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.