FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   New benefit for A-List Preferred: Free Drinks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1189593-new-benefit-list-preferred-free-drinks.html)

mafuqua Jun 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 16566517)
They are no longer taking any of the expired coupons.

The tan ones will be accepted through August and after that will no longer be good (even though there is no expiration date and WN had the audacity to sell them, marketing them as never expiring).

Ok, great. I had enough of the OLD coupons to buy everyone on the plane two rounds of drinks. And now you're telling me that the newer ones will expire in Aug and the first flight I can take is not until Sep, so now all of those are worthless too. Thanks for the info, I think......Signed, Mr. Pissed

jamesteroh Jun 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mafuqua (Post 16566552)
Ok, great. I had enough of the OLD coupons to buy everyone on the plane two rounds of drinks. And now you're telling me that the newer ones will expire in Aug and the first flight I can take is not until Sep, so now all of those are worthless too. Thanks for the info, I think......Signed, Mr. Pissed

You aren't the only one that is upset. I actually bought some of mine back when they only accepted cash as a convenience for paying for monster. Now 90% of the FA's won't accept them on monster even though they clearly state they are good for a non alcohol speciality drink, and now they are not going to accept a coupon they sold with no expiration date. IMO, these coupons they sold are like a gift card.

This just adds to the growing list of how WN is screwing their customers.

sanFF Jun 15, 2011 1:47 pm

The good old days

I still remember the good ole days of free drinks for everyone
I think prior to 1991. No coupons needed:D

mafuqua Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 16566503)

To nsx: according to the link that you provided to me, the OLD coupons with the expiration date are still being taken through August (though this differs somewhat from jamesteroh's comment that they are already no good). I'm quoting from the reference you provided: "According to a policy announced in August 2010, these coupons will be usable only until August 31, 2011, when they will expire.. Can you speak to the conflicting information? Secondly, your reference doesn't mean the tan coupons without expiration dates, right? What about those. Your reference suggests that the newest ones will have a person's name on them, but I have never seen one of those....I do have some of the tan ones that the reference doesn't seem to address (jamesteroh says those expire in August as well). Any comments that might help me figure all of this out. These questions may be mute if I can't get on a plane until Sep and they will all be invalid, but I would still like to know definitively what the deal is.

nsx Jun 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by mafuqua (Post 16568714)
To nsx: according to the link that you provided to me, the OLD coupons with the expiration date are still being taken through August (though this differs somewhat from jamesteroh's comment that they are already no good).

From blogsouthwest.com:

I am indeed the Vice President of Cabin Services. I’ve been with the Company for 30 years, so I’ve seen my fair share of coupons. This isn’t a change we take lightly, and we gave it careful thought and consideration before deciding to move this direction. When it comes down to it, we’re doing what’s in the best long-term interest of our Customers and our Company. We absolutely want to make sure our best Customers still get the free drink. Rapid Rewards Members will still get drink coupons, as will Business Select Customers. We’re continuing to honor all old Rapid Rewards drink coupons (even those with printed expiration dates) for another year. We are also proud that, unlike most of our industry, we do not charge for snacks or checked bags. You can count on our magnificent Flight Attendants to provide our legendary Customer Service, including refills (carts don’t slow us down).
Mike

* mihafnerMike Hafner — 08-03-2010 at 12:14 PM

jamesteroh Jun 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mafuqua (Post 16568714)
To nsx: according to the link that you provided to me, the OLD coupons with the expiration date are still being taken through August (though this differs somewhat from jamesteroh's comment that they are already no good). I'm quoting from the reference you provided: "According to a policy announced in August 2010, these coupons will be usable only until August 31, 2011, when they will expire.. Can you speak to the conflicting information? Secondly, your reference doesn't mean the tan coupons without expiration dates, right? What about those. Your reference suggests that the newest ones will have a person's name on them, but I have never seen one of those....I do have some of the tan ones that the reference doesn't seem to address (jamesteroh says those expire in August as well). Any comments that might help me figure all of this out. These questions may be mute if I can't get on a plane until Sep and they will all be invalid, but I would still like to know definitively what the deal is.

On my last flight on WN in early May, the FA said they were cashless and they accepted all major credit cards and non expired coupons, so I guess they could still be taking those old coupons and the FA was wrong. They are still suppose to take the tan coupons that say "non alcohol specialty drinks" for monster but I have only found one FA that would accept them so far.

ursine1 Jun 15, 2011 10:20 pm

On my last few flights the FAs specifically mentioned "unexpired drink coupons". I was using the tan ones; I have a supply with both the "non alcoholic specialty drink" line and without. I've given up trying to get a Monster with the correct coupon after hearing "we don't accept drink coupons for Monster energy drinks" too many times.

jamesteroh Jun 15, 2011 10:40 pm

Has anyone tried offering to buy a bunch of people drinks with their coupons yet? I have a vegas trip on a free WN ticket the end of July and it will be the last time I will be on WN while they are still valid. In order to get rid of them I thought about offering to buy drinks for people. I probably have 40 of them so I don't have enough for the full plane. I may just hand out the books to people in the sitting area. I would rather see them get used up.

InkUnderNails Jun 16, 2011 4:21 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 16569666)
Has anyone tried offering to buy a bunch of people drinks with their coupons yet? I have a vegas trip on a free WN ticket the end of July and it will be the last time I will be on WN while they are still valid. In order to get rid of them I thought about offering to buy drinks for people. I probably have 40 of them so I don't have enough for the full plane. I may just hand out the books to people in the sitting area. I would rather see them get used up.

I am finally out of the old ones.

I use a few myself. I carry a couple of empty little bottles in the bottom of my carry on. If drinks are brought in open bottles, I switch caps and drop the full one in my carry for later at the hotel. I then might order "another" for the flight.

If anyone in my row orders a drink and tries to use the CC, I pay with a coupon and give them an extra for the return or connecting flight.

I gave them away for "good deeds." A nice gentleman at MDW discreetly informed me that my fly was down. He got a couple of free drinks. If I saw someone do something nice for another passenger, I offered a coupon and thanked them for being nice.

I had a brief setback. A real nice older lady next to me saw me order a drink and she handed me two books of the old coupons saying that she never used them and wanted someone to have them that did. It would have been ungracious and rude to turn them down. {Sigh.}

jamesteroh Jun 16, 2011 7:37 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 16570437)
I am finally out of the old ones.

I use a few myself. I carry a couple of empty little bottles in the bottom of my carry on. If drinks are brought in open bottles, I switch caps and drop the full one in my carry for later at the hotel. I then might order "another" for the flight.

If anyone in my row orders a drink and tries to use the CC, I pay with a coupon and give them an extra for the return or connecting flight.

I gave them away for "good deeds." A nice gentleman at MDW discreetly informed me that my fly was down. He got a couple of free drinks. If I saw someone do something nice for another passenger, I offered a coupon and thanked them for being nice.

I had a brief setback. A real nice older lady next to me saw me order a drink and she handed me two books of the old coupons saying that she never used them and wanted someone to have them that did. It would have been ungracious and rude to turn them down. {Sigh.}

Smart idea with the empty minis:) You should just bring on the caps and save room in your bag, the FA's aren't going to pay attention to see if the bottles are thrown away or not. I used to buy an extra monster with the coupons a lot of times and take it off the plane unopened to my hotel or drink it on the drive home.

CavePearl Jan 17, 2013 4:42 pm

It's Baaaaaaack

I'm bumping this antique thread because today when I received my A+ renewal card in the mail I got a letter (dated January 3, 2013) that says one of the A-List Preferred benefits is "free drinks onboard."

Do we assume once again this is a mistake?

InkUnderNails Jan 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl (Post 20070741)
I'm bumping this antique thread because today when I received my A+ renewal card in the mail I got a letter (dated January 3, 2013) that says one of the A-List Preferred benefits is "free drinks onboard."

Oops! Hard to take that down from a web site. Come on, show us a scan.

antinseattle Jan 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by CavePearl (Post 20070741)

PICS or it DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!! :rolleyes:

(If I get that letter, I'm presenting it on every flight. I'll bet at 35,000 feet, they give me at least one free drink.!)

My AA starts soon.....

joshua362 Jan 17, 2013 6:09 pm

And the wording difference between "free drinks" and "free alcoholic drinks" is enough to get everyone excited ???

Bring it on, but I doubt it....

ILovetheReds Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

Southwest should be giving out one drink for free to their top tiers. American gives a free drink and snack item on mainline (and possibly Eagle and other feeders) to their higher tiers by giving their AA card to the FA to swipe. If you are gold or higher on Delta, a coupon for a free drink or non-perishable snack item prints on your boarding pass for a flight if you are not upgraded into first class.

Those free drinks/snack items are a nice added touch for when you don't get upgraded and would be nice for WN's top tiers since there are no upgrades available.