FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   New benefit for A-List Preferred: Free Drinks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1189593-new-benefit-list-preferred-free-drinks.html)

nsx Mar 1, 2011 12:54 pm

New benefit for A-List Preferred: Free Drinks?

The Tier Status View Details page

http://www.southwest.com/account/rap...ds/tier-status

has a surprise:

Free Drinks Onboard are shown as a benefit for A-List Preferred. I haven't seen this mentioned before, so it may be an error. If not, I hope it includes Monster energy drinks!

Wingrider Mar 1, 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 15955557)

"This portion of the Southwest Airlines website is undergoing maintenance and is currently unavailable.

Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If this issue persists, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792)."

alggag Mar 1, 2011 2:20 pm

I also saw that this morning.

Will you get a drink ticket with your BP ala BS, or just flash your card, or what?

illinidad Mar 1, 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 15955557)
The Tier Status View Details page

http://www.southwest.com/account/rap...ds/tier-status

has a surprise:

Free Drinks Onboard are shown as a benefit for A-List Preferred. I haven't seen this mentioned before, so it may be an error. If not, I hope it includes Monster energy drinks!

Oh the irony. Even the free drink offer page won't load. So now I can't even learn about a free drink that might help make up for the web site issues....because of a website issue....:(:(

This portion of the Southwest Airlines website is undergoing maintenance and is currently unavailable.
Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
If this issue persists, please contact a Southwest Airlines Customer Representative for assistance at 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).

nsx Mar 1, 2011 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by illinidad (Post 15956462)
Oh the irony. Even the free drink offer page won't load.

That's not a working link. It needs a long session-specific code that I chopped off.

You can also reach this page by clicking View My Tier Progress near the lower left of the My Account Snapshot page.

On the page that shows the Free Drinks, when you click View Details under A-List Preferred, the details do NOT include free drinks.

After the web site trouble today, plenty of customers need a drink.

expert7700 Mar 1, 2011 3:46 pm

my guess is one set of drink coupons mailed annually with your a list preferred card

maybe it's free soft drinks, juice, cofee or tea for a list preferred

non potable water for everyone else

ftnoob Mar 1, 2011 3:50 pm

The free drink message is visible in the screen capture expert7700 included in his lengthy post at 5:04am CST.

I predict it will not include Monster, based on past precedent.

SKIEL Mar 1, 2011 4:59 pm

I thought you were kidding but I was able to get logged in for a bit and it's true. Thanks WN!

Bigez747 Mar 1, 2011 5:56 pm

Well this is good^

FSUNole Mar 2, 2011 6:36 am

A-List Preferred Benefits

I have not noticed this to date which may be due to not spending the time to understand RR2.0. However, I wanted to note that for A-List Preferred members, free drinks will be offered on the flight. Hopefully this (1) includes Monster for the non-drinkers and, since it says free drinks onboard on some pages but not others, (2) isn't a benefit that was supposed to be removed prior to launch. ^

jamesteroh Mar 2, 2011 7:16 am

The way it is worded on the site makes it sound like it's unlimited drinks:) It doesn't say one free drink per flight.

If you don't get upgraded on Delta and are medal, a lot of times you get a have one on use coupon with your boarding pass that you can use onboard for a free drink or set of headphones which is a nice little extra.

6Strong Mar 2, 2011 7:20 am

Free drinks? buy stock in Jack Daniels, because I can personally guarantee that they will be selling lots to Southwest this year!

jamesteroh Mar 2, 2011 7:36 am

Originally Posted by 6Strong (Post 15960339)
Free drinks? buy stock in Jack Daniels, because I can personally guarantee that they will be selling lots to Southwest this year!

And you'll be seeing plenty of free drink coupons for WN going on Ebay if this true as well

InkUnderNails Mar 2, 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 15960442)
And you'll be seeing plenty of free drink coupons for WN going on Ebay if this true as well

We can always give them away to the serendipitous, late check in, travel naive, canceled A-list position space getters, standing in line in front of us. Tell them it is one of the other perks of A+ that they did not earn but can have anyway.

jamesteroh Mar 2, 2011 8:19 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 15960559)
We can always give them away to the serendipitous, late check in, travel naive, canceled A-list position space getters, standing in line in front of us. Tell them it is one of the other perks of A+ that they did not earn but can have anyway.

Well I have only flown WN on PAID trips twice in the past 12 months on cheap DTW/MDW trips (but earned CP status and earned 9 or 10 RR awards thanks to partners in the last year) so this benefit doesn't apply to me. But I still have plenty of coupons I'll never use (thanks to Southwest not keeping their word on the tan coupons never expiring) so I may put some on Ebay myself. I was drinking at the bar at Ruby Tuesdays at DTW a couple weeks ago for a RR award trip and the lady sitting next to me flies WN DTW/DEN once a month and said as soon as she gets a book she burns them on one flight so I gave her a couple of mine and she was very happy:)

Winecaptain Mar 2, 2011 9:17 am

I will test the water here tomorrow, as I fly from BWI to MSY for Mardi Gras!!! I have not received anything in the mail from WN as far as coupons go, however did see my status at A-List Preferred on their website. I followed the link in this post and found the free drinks at the bottom of the page. Maybe as easy as showing your boarding pass that says A-List Preferred? Will report back. Although I am sure that someone will have the answer here that it flying today. It would be nice not to have to carry the silly coupons though. If it is the case, then I'll have a ton to sell on ebay as well...

On the other hand, as good as it sounds, the real value is greatly diluted as I can imagine that a great deal of the highest volume traveler's, like myself, usually have to jump in a rental car and really can't partake in more than one cocktail on the flight. Makes it more gimmick than value...

kennycrudup Mar 2, 2011 2:17 pm

It's dead, Jim. :mad:

drooley Mar 2, 2011 2:28 pm

Wow, that was mean! They dangled those free drinks in front of you guys like a carrot. Now *POOF*....they are gone. Even my husband thought that was pretty cool, though he is only regular A-List.

nsx Mar 2, 2011 2:36 pm

I need a drink... and I don't drink!

expert7700 Mar 2, 2011 2:59 pm

the post Kenny linked was not the exact same screen shot that I took yesterday, so I still had hope. I logged in again, and he's right Poof, free drinks are gone. Apparently the IT people drank all of our free liquor.

\http://www.sbs2003.net/alist-no drinks1.jpg

I tested this on both my account which is already past the 25 year to date for a list requalification, and also on a 2nd account which is slightly below that mark, just in case the screen was different. unfortunately, nope.

I'll bet the free drinks were a proposed item that got cut. I remember seeing a RR benefit survey asking if I'd rate the order of preferences: priority standby, free, wifi, free drinks, etc.

FSUNole Mar 2, 2011 3:38 pm

Removed without any acknowledgement. Poor PR (yet again).

Bigez747 Mar 2, 2011 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Winecaptain (Post 15961242)
I will test the water here tomorrow, as I fly from BWI to MSY for Mardi Gras!!! I have not received anything in the mail from WN as far as coupons go, however did see my status at A-List Preferred on their website. I followed the link in this post and found the free drinks at the bottom of the page. Maybe as easy as showing your boarding pass that says A-List Preferred? Will report back. Although I am sure that someone will have the answer here that it flying today. It would be nice not to have to carry the silly coupons though. If it is the case, then I'll have a ton to sell on ebay as well...

On the other hand, as good as it sounds, the real value is greatly diluted as I can imagine that a great deal of the highest volume traveler's, like myself, usually have to jump in a rental car and really can't partake in more than one cocktail on the flight. Makes it more gimmick than value...

. td:
I checked and its gone on my account too and it dosnt print preferred on the boarding pass (yet)

tusphotog Mar 2, 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bigez747 (Post 15964312)
. td:
I checked and its gone on my account too and it dosnt print preferred on the boarding pass (yet)

It's gone from my account as well. I'd settle for one free drink, kind of like Alaska's "first one on us" when you're in Y and a gold.

As for preferred: it prints on the BPs you get at the airport. "A List Preferred" was on mine this morning in AUS. I almost pulled a DYKWIA in line. :D Yesterday morning (3/1) my BPs from TUS didn't have it, though (not surprising given yesterday's mess).

jamesteroh Mar 2, 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Winecaptain (Post 15961242)

When I get upgraded on Delta, I have seen a lot of people drink a lot more than one drink:)

dillspearpaddler Mar 2, 2011 8:10 pm

Still only "A-List" printed on boarding passes 3/1 LAS-CLE and 3/2 CLE-BWI, BWI-PVD. I was wondering if the BP's would indicate this distinction.

Bigez747 Mar 2, 2011 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 15964344)
It's gone from my account as well. I'd settle for one free drink, kind of like Alaska's "first one on us" when you're in Y and a gold.

As for preferred: it prints on the BPs you get at the airport. "A List Preferred" was on mine this morning in AUS. I almost pulled a DYKWIA in line. :D Yesterday morning (3/1) my BPs from TUS didn't have it, though (not surprising given yesterday's mess).

Wasnt on mine from ELP this afternoon

nsx Mar 2, 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bigez747 (Post 15965593)

Nor on the one I printed this evening.

ftnoob Mar 2, 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 15963653)
Apparently the IT people drank all of our free liquor.

No, the CS&S employees used the liquor to douse the effigies of the IT people they set ablaze.

tusphotog Mar 3, 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by Bigez747 (Post 15965593)

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 15965602)
Nor on the one I printed this evening.

Is it possible your BPs were issued before the glitches were fixed?

Winecaptain Mar 3, 2011 4:47 am

Someone from WN customer service needs to step up here... Not that the free drinks are that important, but the fact that they posted it and took it away is REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am sure that the original screens were read and proof-read several times. If it was not to be a benefit for their busiest travelers, then someone should have taken care of it before the "go-live" date. I think that they owe us an explanation and a bunch of free drink coupons at a minimum. I am writing to WN (email) to complain and who knows, they might actually respond back... Like several others on this forum, maybe I'll look to move business elsewhere. Maybe with the new status of A-List Preferred, I can get a status match to someone else... The bottom line is that this really does not set well with me...

jamesteroh Mar 3, 2011 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Winecaptain (Post 15966733)
Someone from WN customer service needs to step up here... Not that the free drinks are that important, but the fact that they posted it and took it away is REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE! I am sure that the original screens were read and proof-read several times. If it was not to be a benefit for their busiest travelers, then someone should have taken care of it before the "go-live" date. I think that they owe us an explanation and a bunch of free drink coupons at a minimum. I am writing to WN (email) to complain and who knows, they might actually respond back... Like several others on this forum, maybe I'll look to move business elsewhere. Maybe with the new status of A-List Preferred, I can get a status match to someone else... The bottom line is that this really does not set well with me...

Does this honestly surprise anyone? I have a big stack of tan drink coupons that I was told could be used on monster and that would never expire. They stop accepting them for Monster (even though they are still suppose to accept a lot of the ones I have for monster the majority of FA's still don't know the rule) and then they deicde to put an expiration date of August, 2011 on coupons that have no expiration date. When WN has the audacity to make those changes on coupons they SOLD, no one should be surprised at this. And not to mention they didn't even give 60 days notice to HUGE changes they made in rapid rewards, luckilly I didn't have any travel paid for after the changes, but I would have been upset if I would have book travel on WN over Delta on a DTW/MDW ONLY because 2 RR credits was worth more than 1000 MQM's to find out I was going to be WN points worth less than the Delta miles.

WN should admit they made a mistake and give those passengers a free drink coupon on every flight for the next 30 to 60 days. But you know when an airline charges for drink coupons that don't expire and decides to put an expiration date on them and stop accepting them for one of their products, they sure aren't going to do that.

OhHim Mar 7, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm guessing the team hadn't figured out the mechanics for how to work the deal or realized it required a "gimme free booze" a-list preferred ID card (which hasn't been issued yet) and hopefully will bring it back in another 6 weeks once the paper program catches up and we get our "I'm a special customer" A-List Preferred card.

Keeping the fingers crossed, I'm curious if they'll reinstate it as "1 free drink per flight" policy or a "let's get wasted in first class" type policy.

texashoser Mar 7, 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by OhHim (Post 15992253)
I'm guessing the team hadn't figured out the mechanics for how to work the deal or realized it required a "gimme free booze" a-list preferred ID card (which hasn't been issued yet) and hopefully will bring it back in another 6 weeks once the paper program catches up and we get our "I'm a special customer" A-List Preferred card.

Keeping the fingers crossed, I'm curious if they'll reinstate it as "1 free drink per flight" policy or a "let's get wasted in first class" type policy.

I called the Dallas folks and, yes, they are aware of the little picture that surely insinuated free drinks for A-List+ folks. That has been removed and there is no free drink(s) program simply due to A-List+ status nor is there one planned.

To get free drinks as an A-List+ member, you will still need to purchase a BS fare or have drink coupons.

kennycrudup Mar 7, 2011 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by texashoser (Post 15993012)
I called the Dallas folks and, yes, they are aware of the little picture that surely insinuated free drinks for A-List+ folks. That has been removed ...

Wow. I gotta call shenanigans (stole that one from the DL forum :)). That wasn't just a mistake, it was deliberately coded into the site, seen by several people- enough to be able to say it was once there publically- (and was also seen by- and try not to laugh- the QA team for the website revision), and allowed to go live.

I dunno what happened, but something just doesn't pass the smell test here.

texashoser Mar 7, 2011 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 15993052)
Wow. I gotta call shenanigans (stole that one from the DL forum :)). That wasn't just a mistake, it was deliberately coded into the site, seen by several people- enough to be able to say it was once there publically- (and was also seen by- and try not to laugh- the QA team for the website revision), and allowed to go live.

I dunno what happened, but something just doesn't pass the smell test here.

I'm as irritated as anyone, but perhaps you are oversubscribing to a conspiracy theory. Even with the most sophisticated content management and revision repository systems in place, all in takes is one web developer to check in a change and push it live. And with all the madness going on before and after the botched conversion, I doubt the QA 'team' was focused on small details. After all, their whole flucking website blew up after having months to prepare to convert frozen databases and the associated backend queries, etc, over a two-day period into the new RR 2.0 environment.

It could have been a misunderstanding by a single employee of instructions given to them by their manager or perhaps an overzealous noob in the marketing department gave wrong information to the web development director.

Not to excuse incompetence, but I doubt seriously that Southwest management purposely put that free drink graphic on the website in order to pull it less than 24 hours later. What purpose would that serve?

Air Brian Mar 10, 2011 7:54 am

Originally Posted by texashoser (Post 15993012)
I called the Dallas folks and, yes, they are aware of the little picture that surely insinuated free drinks for A-List+ folks. That has been removed and there is no free drink(s) program simply due to A-List+ status nor is there one planned.

To get free drinks as an A-List+ member, you will still need to purchase a BS fare or have drink coupons.

How will drink coupons be distributed? At what threshold - 16 flights still?

rove312 Mar 10, 2011 8:05 am

After 10 paid trips.

Air Brian Mar 10, 2011 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 16008642)
After 10 paid trips.

trips = roundtrips, or segments?

jamesteroh Mar 10, 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by rove312 (Post 16008642)
After 10 paid trips.

If you have credits still in your account and convert the points is WN still going to give you the four drink coupons when you get your standard award? Those drink vouchers help make flying WN on a long flight a lot more bearable. And the FA"s on WN are great about doing refills compared to Delta in Y.

rove312 Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Air Brian (Post 16008770)
trips = roundtrips, or segments?

One-way trips, whether or not they include a connection. I'm not sure about the next question (award combining credits and converted points).