Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Actually the armrest is not the only gauge...

Customers who are unable to lower both armrests and/or who compromise any portion of adjacent seating
^

Can't tell you how many times I've had my neck nearly bent double after some big guy shoehorns himself into the middle seat next to me - and when I say big guy, I mean an athletic type with huge shoulders who insists on inserting himself into my personal space.

Personally, I applaud WN's efforts to avoid folks from taking up more than their share of the room, and also wish they'd be more assertive about enforcing this.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:21 pm

I was at OAK, I got to meet Kevin. I thought was awesome. I would pay extra to sit next to Kevin.

Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:26 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I'm not debating whether he feels he is a COS. My point is he has been taking advantage of that policy for who knows how long.

Not at all, but that's on a standby basis. In Smith's story the trouble started when he told the CSA that he was OK with getting the only available standby seat despite having booked two seats for himself which is allowed only under the COS policy.
I don't understand how he's been 'taking advantage' of the COS policy. If he had been getting refunds for the second seat on less-than-full flights, then sure, he's been taking advantage. However, in all of this, there's been nothing to suggest that he has been getting refunds for those seats. He bought two seats, and used two seats. Unless there's a rule that one person can't buy two seats on the same flight for comfort, then I don't see how he's been taking advantage of this policy.

In regards to your second point, why wouldn't he be able to cancel one of the tickets, and then just use the second one to standby on the earlier flight? In fact, he was asking what would happen to the second ticket (because in his mind, he wasn't using it anymore) when the GA rushed him onto the plane.

Also, he says that he was able to get both armrests down without issue, and even asked the ladies next to him if he was intruding on their space when the GA came on. Both of their criteria for COS were shown to be not an issue, and yet they still booted him from the flight.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Summary: A fat passenger bought 2 seats and decided to go standby on an earlier flight. When his number was called, there was only 1 seat left so he didn't get it. He sends a nasty twitter message, so southwest tweets back an apology and $100 flight credit.

If you ask me he's already received more than he deserved. Case closed.

Note to Southwest file: No good deed goes unpunished.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Where is Jason Mewes when you need him?

I think this goes to show you that Southwest's attitude is very hit and miss. This is someone who actually does buy two seats for comfort, or to have a bit of extra room. Tries to go on an earlier flight, and then gets booted off, after he's seated. Very low class on WN's part.

Mooby would not approve.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Summary: A fat passenger bought 2 seats and decided to go standby on an earlier flight. When his number was called, there was only 1 seat left so he didn't get it.
Actually from the descriptions I read, he did get the one seat, and then was booted off once he was in his seat. Quite a different thing.

KS is not a slim guy, but I think he can still fit in a seat. Hell, I even fit with the arm rests down, and I'm bigger than he is.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:58 am

What if you're a COS, you purchased 2 seats, and you get on the plane and there are seats, but not 2 together? Do they make someone move or do they toss you off the fight?

For SW to really be fair on this- it really does need to have reserved seating.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:32 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
What if you're a COS, you purchased 2 seats, and you get on the plane and there are seats, but not 2 together?
You get pre-boarding. However if you miss pre-boarding you are stuck. If you miss the flight or fly standby for any reason, you are stuck unless the Gate Agent can clear you early enough to pre-board.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:58 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
For SW to really be fair on this- it really does need to have reserved seating.
Why? I think they have the best policy of anyone flying.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by dinosims
I don't understand how he's been 'taking advantage' of the COS policy. [...] Unless there's a rule that one person can't buy two seats on the same flight for comfort, then I don't see how he's been taking advantage of this policy.
That's it, exactly. He was able to purchase the second seat only because of the COS policy (you are not permitted to do it otherwise). He was getting the reserved seat document to place on his extra seat. "Taking advantage" may have been a poor choice of words, but he was definitely using the policy.

In regards to your second point, why wouldn't he be able to cancel one of the tickets, and then just use the second one to standby on the earlier flight?
I'm not sure I understand your question. He tried using just one ticket, and this is what happened.

Also, he says that he was able to get both armrests down without issue, and even asked the ladies next to him if he was intruding on their space when the GA came on. Both of their criteria for COS were shown to be not an issue, and yet they still booted him from the flight.
As we discussed upthread, while the armrests are the definitive gauge, Southwest says you should proactively book a second seat if you "compromise any portion of adjacent seating." That's what he had been doing.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I don't understand how he's been 'taking advantage' of the COS policy. If he had been getting refunds for the second seat on less-than-full flights, then sure, he's been taking advantage. However, in all of this, there's been nothing to suggest that he has been getting refunds for those seats. He bought two seats, and used two seats. Unless there's a rule that one person can't buy two seats on the same flight for comfort, then I don't see how he's been taking advantage of this policy.

In regards to your second point, why wouldn't he be able to cancel one of the tickets, and then just use the second one to standby on the earlier flight? In fact, he was asking what would happen to the second ticket (because in his mind, he wasn't using it anymore) when the GA rushed him onto the plane.

1) Yes, Southwest has a rule against buying two seats for comfort, or for any reason. It's what props up their "Business Select" scheme of selling one seat for more than twice the base price. Be that as it may...

2) It sounds like he may have limned the line of the COS policy (many times?) before, and Southwest personnel, in violation of their policy, may have been complicit. (Because he's a heavyweight in more ways than one?) This is if he's used to having it both ways, and if it's true that he wasn't deliberately using the COS policy in this instance.

3) It sounds like he may have been allowed to slip on - so to speak - also in violation of policy, without paying the upcharge or facing any other screen, but rather, just, "Scoot! Hurry! Go! Go!" Though I have never been so blessed, I do have colleagues who routinely get "squeezed in" on earlier flights. (But they are without special circumstances.)

4) All this may have worked well between Southwest and him in the past, but they hit a rock that always lay ahead. Maybe it was not following multiple policies, each of which may not have (ever before, in his case) caused a problem on its own. Maybe it was gate personnel not communicating with the pilot... @:-)

5) Boy can he Tweet, and he's really put himself out there, at this point. It doesn't sound like he's ready to stop. And he has an economic imperative, as cited above. Perhaps an apology from Mr. Kelly, or even Mr. Kelleher, is his ransom. PR is vastly more valuable than any monetary compensation in his realm. If this issue has media legs (lucky for some it occurred during a star-crossed Olympics and a three-day weekend) it could become apocryphal about dueling Tweeters. If so, I wonder if the old rule about what you don't do with a skunk will be proven in a new way. Anyway, Southwest has chosen to engage on that stage. What a wild and crazy ride it might turn out to be.

http://www.popeater.com/2010/02/14/k...hwest-twitter/

In the larger - perceptions - realm, I suggest that there are two other reasons why Southwest is vulnerable. First, the ghost of Ms. Ebbert. Second, there is, among people who are loyalists to the traditional way of seating, the perception that in the context of what is already a zero-sum experience - hours in a metal tube at seven miles up - Southwest feels even more zero-sum. An assigned seat is *mine*. Tired of that head to head canard? Think of the difference in perceptions between a *Reserved Seat* and just a ticket on a train. For all the benefits its boarding process yields in speed and minimum ground time through its business model to the bottom line, Southwest is always out there on this account, except among the choir here.

Last edited by Firewind; Feb 15, 2010 at 7:50 am Reason: v. "To Tweet." Not twitter, not tweat. One of these days I'll get it right.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I will admit I have no idea who this Kevin guy is,but from my perspective,he wanted his cake and eat it too.

Either he is a legitimate COS and needs to buy 2 seats, or he was deliberately abusing WN's COS policy. Either way in this instance, he caused his own grief and deserves nothing.This appears to be a clear publicity hook.

I must say I am disappointed that WN caved here and not only gave him compensation and an apology,they seem to be dueling with him through the media.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mritty
I don't believe for a second that he's actually as upset as his podcast and Twitter feed would have us believe. Instead, he hasn't been in the press for a while, since his drugged out buddy stopped making movies with him. And suddenly he has a new movie coming out that he needs to promote. And *shockingly*, he found away to get himself a whole bunch of attention.
Originally Posted by Firewind
5) Boy can he Tweet, and he's really put himself out there, at this point. It doesn't sound like he's ready to stop. And he has an economic imperative, as cited above. Perhaps an apology from Mr. Kelly, or even Mr. Kelleher, is his ransom. PR is vastly more valuable than any monetary compensation in his realm. If this issue has media legs (lucky for some it occurred during a star-crossed Olympics and a three-day weekend) it could become apocryphal about dueling Tweeters.

Ding, Ding, Ding....We have a winner here IMO.

Before this morning I'd never heard of Kevin Smith and/or his new movie which is just being released.

And now I'm painfully aware of both since it's headline news.

I'm not saying that WN was justified in throwing him off the plane or that he shouldn't complain loudly over this.

But it's a PR coup in my opinion and I'm having a hard time in developing any sympathy for him.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:14 am

I tried to attach a picture of him at OAK, but it didnt seem to work. If any one wants to see the picture, here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50198110@N00/4358759766/
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I was at OAK, I got to meet Kevin. I thought was awesome. I would pay extra to sit next to Kevin.

And if he wasn't Kevin Smith (which by the way, i have never even heard of),
would you still have sat next to him?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.