Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
"NAAFA Calls for Boycott

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is calling for a Southwest
boycott. It issued a statement urging "people of size to seek out and travel
airlines that do not have such discriminatory policies.""

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naafanews/message/472
Awesome ... should step up my SWA flying since it'll be less likely that my personal space will be unfairly encroached upon.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Drop the F Bomb all over the interwebz? Stay classy, Kevin.
You've obviously never seen any movie with Jay and Silent Bob. F-Bombs are 100% normal for KS. It's not like he's hamming it up, or anything. If you listen to other podcasts he's done, it's the norm. If you don't like it, don't listen to the podcasts.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
My mistake, didn't know there wasn't a policy for buying 2 seats for other reasons. Although it appears that he had bought 2 Business Select seats, and wasn't planning on refunding one if the plane was empty.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is calling for a Southwest boycott. It issued a statement urging "people of size to seek out and travel airlines that do not have such discriminatory policies."
... and this is a problem for everyone else how, exactly?!

Go NAAFA!
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:06 pm

I'm a long time lurker here at FT, but finally decided to join today for this thread.

Originally Posted by Firewind
At the risk of boring regulars on this board with my repeated rant, it's to prop up the "Business Select" scheme, which is to sell one seat for more than twice the base price.
If someone is buying multiple Business Select seats (as KS states is his typical practice), when why the heck would WN care? They're getting guaranteed top revenue, and they're carrying less weight resulting in lower operating costs for those tickets. That 2nd seat isn't coming with double luggage or double carry-on.

I've paid to upgrade to First Class on other airlines (ie, NorthWest's old e-First upgrades) primarily because the bigger seat is more comfortable to sit in. Just because I've flown F a few times doesn't mean that I'm not still capable of fitting into a coach seat.

That said, I've almost considered buying an extra seat on WN for a flight I'm taking next month just because even at Full fare or Business Select rates it's still cheaper than other airlines F tickets. I'm not a CoS, but it sure would be nice to be able to throw my bag on the middle seat and dig my laptop out, use the middle tray to hold my drink while I'm working away on my laptop -- stuff like that.

My understanding of the situation in listening to the podcast is:

1) KS flies WN because they fly direct out of BUR (closer to him than LAX) to SFO and LAS, which most other carriers do not.
2) KS buys multiple seats because they're cheap, and it gives you the "poor man's" first class.
3) It was because KS had multiple tickets purchased and his not being a thin person that someone assumed it was a CoS thing, even though he fit comfortably (as much as anyone can) into a seat without impeding on his seat neighbors.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You've obviously never seen any movie with Jay and Silent Bob. F-Bombs are 100% normal for KS.
Actually, I have. If an entertainer can sell that to their audience, more power to them. I’m just not impressed by this acting out in social media. If a non-celebrity had behaved this way, WN would have ignored them, and rightfully so.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
I'm a long time lurker here at FT, but finally decided to join today for this thread.
SpaethCo, a warm welcome to FlyerTalk and thanks for your contribution to the thread.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Diamond, AA MM (almost 2MM)
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
Dear Kevin,

Lose 100 lbs. And quit your twitter b*tching.

Problem Solved.

Hugs,

Auggie
Wow. Tell me something you love. Now let me tell you can't have that thing for the rest of your life without someone feeling they have the right to criticize you for it.

Why is weight any different than choice of life partner, height, color of skin, mental capacity, age, choice of dress?

This has to change.

Last edited by MiteMom; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:41 pm Reason: missing word
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Snoogums

Originally Posted by N965VJ
Actually, I have. If an entertainer can sell that to their audience, more power to them. I’m just not impressed by this acting out in social media. If a non-celebrity had behaved this way, WN would have ignored them, and rightfully so.
Honestly, how is it really different that what gets posted on FT every single day? He has a wider audience that most. More than half a million more than even LUV has.

If I was in a seat, and was pulled off at the last minute, I'd be pissed too. From his description, his removal was not based on complaints from his seat mates. From one news account I saw, KS offered to show that he fit in the seat with the arm rests down. The last I heard, WN was not interested in doing this for the media circus. (I don't blame them.)

Is KS flogging this for an upcoming movie? Maybe. Do I think he has a valid point about it being badly handled? Ayup.

WN has a very uneven handling of many issues. COS, proof of toddler ages, etc.

In fact, it seems that KS either pissed off the GA or someone else on the ramp ("Are you Rev?"), and that's why he was kicked off. According to KS, the captain could not have seen him in his seat, without coming out of the cockpit.

And it's not that uncommon for celebrities to ride on WN. My uncle rode next to Teller on a SAN-LAS flight and talked with him through the flight. He did weekly runs. Frequent and often cheap flights on the west coast make it an easy selection for some.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Alaska Gold MVP, Expedia Elite Plus, Amex Reserve.
What is so special about him, southwest should do the same with the other customer they done wrong with this policy.

some people do not ask to be over weight they just are.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
It seems like an airline that sends out 99% of its planes below capacity would be glad to have people purchase more than one seat.

Maybe that's why I'm not an airline CEO.
Issuing refunds 99% of the time and sending planes out below capacity 99% of the time is not the same thing.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SpaethCo
That said, I've almost considered buying an extra seat on WN for a flight I'm taking next month just because even at Full fare or Business Select rates it's still cheaper than other airlines F tickets. I'm not a CoS,
Welcome to FT and by the way, you won't be able to do that. If you are not a CoS, then you cannot buy a second seat on WN.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Continental, Starwoods, Intercontinental, Marriott
Mr Smith wasn't ejected for being a COS without a second seat. He was ejected for "security reasons". He was also told it was the pilot's decision. This is the problem SW has with this issue - no clear handling of corporate policy. Had the GA said 'you bought two seats because you are a COS and we can not accommodate you on this earlier flight' there wouldn't have been an issue to tweet about. It seems to me that the GAs need to be trained to handle problems before the customers get on the plane. This would keep situations like this from escalating.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
If you are not a CoS, then you cannot buy a second seat on WN.
According to WN's website you can buy a 2nd seat for more circumstances than that.

Originally Posted by http://www.southwest.com/travel_center/cos_qa.html
Are there other reasons to purchase additional seating?
Yes, Customers wishing to secure in an aircraft seat a musical item, a child restraint device for an infant, etc. must purchase an additional ticket.
I swear a colleague of mine in the Chicago area said he buys 2 seats all the time (and he's as far away from a CoS as you can get without having a feeding tube); the only deal was he had to call the 800 number to book the tickets since you can't do it online.

I admit I don't have a lot of experience with WN since they just started providing service here at MSP within the last year.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Alexisriley
He was ejected for "security reasons". He was also told it was the pilot's decision.
Can you blame the Captain after reading what KS has wrote over the last few days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.