Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Dear Kevin,

Lose 100 lbs. And quit your twitter b*tching.

Problem Solved.

Hugs,

Auggie
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN CP
Southwest has posted their public response on their blog. The blog is not responsive at the moment, so I've included it below:
Many of you reached out to us via Twitter last night and today regarding a situation a Customer Twittered about that occurred on a Southwest flight. It is not our customary method of Customer Relations to be so public in how we work through these situations, but with so many people involved in the occurrence, you also should be involved in the solution. First and foremost, to Mr. Smith; we would like to echo our Tweets and again offer our heartfelt apologies to you. We are sincerely sorry for your travel experience on Southwest Airlines.

As soon as we saw the first Tweet from Mr. Smith, we contacted him personally to apologize for his experience and to address his concerns on both Twitter and with a personal phone call. Since the situation has received a lot of public attention, we'd like to take the opportunity to address a few of the specifics here as well.

Mr. Smith originally purchased two Southwest seats on a flight from Oakland to Burbank – as he’s been known to do when traveling on Southwest. He decided to change his plans and board an earlier flight to Burbank, which technically means flying standby. As you may know, airlines are not able to clear standby passengers until all Customers are boarded. When the time came to board Mr. Smith, we had only a single seat available for him to occupy. Our pilots are responsible for the Safety and comfort of all Customers on the aircraft and therefore, made the determination that Mr. Smith needed more than one seat to complete his flight. Our Employees explained why the decision was made, accommodated Mr. Smith on a later flight, and issued him a $100 Southwest travel voucher for his inconvenience.

You've read about these situations before. Southwest instituted our Customer of Size policy more than 25 years ago. The policy requires passengers that can not fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling. This policy is not unique to Southwest Airlines and it is not a revenue generator. Most, if not all, carriers have similar policies, but unique to Southwest is the refunding of the second seat purchased (if the flight does not oversell) which is greater than any revenue made (full policy can be found here). The spirit of this policy is based solely on Customer comfort and Safety. As a Company committed to serving our Customers in Safety and comfort, we feel the definitive boundary between seats is the armrest. If a Customer cannot comfortably lower the armrest and infringes on a portion of another seat, a Customer seated adjacent would be very uncomfortable and a timely exit from the aircraft in the event of an emergency might be compromised if we allow a cramped, restricted seating arrangement.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Southwest has posted their public response on their blog. The blog is not responsive at the moment, so I've included it below:
that's a heck of a corporate response especially on a Sunday!!!

The devil truly was in the details, and when it came out that he regularly buys a 2nd seat and standby only cleared one, I think it's entirely his fault. If he said he's slim enough to fit with the armwrests lowered and without encoraching on other pax's space, then he has been violating the policy many times by buying a 2nd seat (and presumably getting refunded 99% of the time)
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Measuring COS is difficult. Encroaching can be interpeted many ways. Maybe the airlines need a test guage to measure width of person - but then if one holds one's gut in (tenses muscles), one can seem a bit smaller.

On other hand, many (most) would not like sitting next to someone that overlaps their seat on a flight -- espec. on a long flight.

So who's rights are violated? Only fair way is WN policy. But, how does one enforce this. Sort of like a very smelly person - at what point is it objectionable?

Too much political correctness in this country. You can tell someone to F* Off in a crowd, but don't mention anyone is overweght!
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Is there a reason (besides cost) why they don't have a mock chair at the gate for someone to sit in and test to see if they would need an extra ticket or not? They could test the armrest and seat encroachment and determine if an extra seat is needed prior to boarding. They do this for carry-on bags, so I figure it would work for people too.

I also don't buy the fact that most Americans are overweight, therefore we should cater to their needs. I do believe that more can be done to make people aware of this service (note on the website as an FYI during purchase step with dimensions given (free), signage in the boarding area (small cost), and digital signage on the boarding screens (free)) so they are not so "surprised" when this situation comes up.

I know as difficult as this may be, they need to remove the subjectivity from this process and make it very measured. Words like comfortable, seat encroachment, etc. leave a lot of room for interpretation. Image if they said "your carry-on bag must comfortably fit in the overhead bin and the door must reasonably shut with minimal head room encroachment" to be considered a carry on.

I may not understand this situation entirely since I am not a COS, but as someone who has flown enough times sitting next to someone that probably is a COS, I think more can be done for both COS and non-COS alike.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
They said he chose to take an earlier flight, which means he has to fly standby?? When I take an earlier flight, I am required to pay the fare difference and get a reserved ticket for that flight with a boarding number. If he was taking a later flight because he missed his earlier flight, I can understand stand-by, but why was he a stand-by in this case? Can you stand-by for an earlier flight that is sold out and then pay the difference if you are cleared, or do you have to pay the difference and then stand-by? I guess I am confused on that point.

I also don't understand what stand-by has to do with this situation at all. Are they really saying that once all confirmed passengers are on and boarded, they cannot get a count and then send a COS down if and only if there are 2 seats available? I would think that is what I would do.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton, Southwest "A" and "CP" Hertz 5*
If he has bought the 2nd ticket before he knows and accepts he is to be included in the "two seat group".

He understands where he fits! The GA may have trying to be polite and let him slide by but the pilot said "sorry". It's a difficult call to make for both the GA and Pilot. He should get over it since he has paid in the past and knows where he fits...
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by expert7700
Let me help you to fixed the link for you.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/14/kevin-...#ixzz0fWeM0uym

Thanks all.

Regards
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by ronbo83
They said he chose to take an earlier flight, which means he has to fly standby?? When I take an earlier flight, I am required to pay the fare difference and get a reserved ticket for that flight with a boarding number. :
I would guess he would have to pay difference and if flight looks like it may be full, then standby to get on if seat available. But knowing he needed two seats, he and GA should not have boarded him if only 1 available.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:10 pm

You can hear it from Kevin himself... he really was not treated well

Listen for yourself! Love the title of his podcast! <G>

http://www.smodcast.com/
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
To listen to Mr. Smith, you'd think he'd led a charmed life. As if, somehow, nothing bad had EVER happened to him. To be this upset over a pathetically minor inconvenience? Please. The man needs to grow up.

He actually doesn't, of course. I don't believe for a second that he's actually as upset as his podcast and Twitter feed would have us believe. Instead, he hasn't been in the press for a while, since his drugged out buddy stopped making movies with him. And suddenly he has a new movie coming out that he needs to promote. And *shockingly*, he found away to get himself a whole bunch of attention.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:13 pm

I listened to Smith's podcast. Of interest to me is that he has been using the COS policy for who knows how long, perhaps unintentionally, and his problems started when he tried to opt out of it (agreeing to fly standby on the flight when only one of two seats was available).
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Of interest to me is that he has been using the COS policy for who knows how long, perhaps unintentionally, and his problems started when he tried to opt out of it (agreeing to fly standby on the flight)
I guess you didn't really listen... he stated he was NOT a COS because he does not meet the requirements for a COS. Are you saying that COS should not be able to take a earlier or later flight on full fare Biz tickets?
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mritty
Instead, he hasn't been in the press for a while, since his drugged out buddy stopped making movies with him
Wow, sounds like you have some kind of ax to grind...
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
I guess you didn't really listen... he stated he was NOT a COS because he does not meet the requirements for a COS.
I'm not debating whether he feels he is a COS. My point is he has been taking advantage of that policy for who knows how long.

Originally Posted by IAH Oil Man
Are you saying that COS should not be able to take a earlier or later flight on full fare Biz tickets?
Not at all, but that's on a standby basis. In Smith's story the trouble started when he told the CSA that he was OK with getting the only available standby seat despite having booked two seats for himself which is allowed only under the COS policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.