Wiki Posts
Search

Best Restaurants in Orlando..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by MinetaFlyer
On our recent visit to the Magic Kingdom, we found the food and service best at Todd English's Bluezoo and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. The waitstaff at the Yachtsman's seemed like many other professionals we met at the magic kingdom, retired transplants from the Northeast who had unretired to work at what they are excellent at.
The Yachtsman has always been one of our favorites and I agree about the excellent service. They used to serve prime beef. That stopped with the advent of the dining plan - even though it takes 2 credits to eat there. I've never tried Bluezoo. It does sound interesting.

As for character dining, we kept trying the disney dining website. We got into Akershus at Epcot Norway. The food was actually very good and interesting. Before the main course there's a self serve deli featuring 3 kinds of kipper herring, smoked salmon, other fish, good potato salad, fresh salad, grilled asparagus, fresh tomatoes. My main course was a fancier version of a $5 plate from Ikea, but nonetheless very comforting. On entry there is a photo with one of the princesses which comes back to you in a booklet later. Dinner was princess free. At dessert time, 5 princesses materialized for pictures all around, and kisses for the young boys -- just kidding.
Congratulations for getting in!!! This is probably the easiest character (princess meal) to get into because of the "unusual" food for most people. It was actually our favorite restaurant in Epcot until they turned it into a character meal - which they had to do because demand was so great. Now we don't go so often because, quite honestly, we feel bad taking the space from a family who really wants to see the princesses. They're that hard to get into.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mary2e
[Akershus] was actually our favorite restaurant in Epcot...
Agreed, by far.

We went years ago and they had several excellent seafood selections (diff. salmon, shrimp, etc.) on the buffet, as well as a menu to choose from, and if you wanted extras of the latter, no problem.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Agreed, by far.

We went years ago and they had several excellent seafood selections (diff. salmon, shrimp, etc.) on the buffet, as well as a menu to choose from, and if you wanted extras of the latter, no problem.
What's the difference in the food selection?

There was the salmon, shrimp and seafood when we dined.. character dining as well..

Its neat seeing the kids in the pictures years ago.. Will continue to collect over the years..

1900 Park Fare I think has some princesses.. The photo package was $30..
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
1900 Park Fare I think has some princesses.. The photo package was $30..
They do not. 1900 Park Fare has Mary Poppins and a rotating group of other characters, but no princesses.

The only place to have breakfast (or any meal) with princesses is in the Castle or Akershus.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Agreed, by far.

It's a shame it changed. It was such a pleasant experience to go there. The big upside is that it was also the easiest restaurant to get into because lots of people were put off by the food.

I loved it, loved going there, and really enjoyed the food.

With the advent of the princess meals, the atmosphere, and means of getting your food has changed drastically. It's no longer a relaxing place in the middle of the chaos to get a good meal. They also cut back on some of the offerings, IIRC.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It's a shame it changed. It was such a pleasant experience to go there. The big upside is that it was also the easiest restaurant to get into because lots of people were put off by the food.

I loved it, loved going there, and really enjoyed the food.

With the advent of the princess meals, the atmosphere, and means of getting your food has changed drastically. It's no longer a relaxing place in the middle of the chaos to get a good meal. They also cut back on some of the offerings, IIRC.
We have not been back, so I can't comment on food change, if any, but I am pretty sure the prices went way up.

In the old days I considered it a bargain.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:23 am

The prices went way up because of the princesses, plus the photo you'll get

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but IIRC, you pick your entree from a menu and it's delivered. You can still get most of the same items from the buffet as you did before - except for the entree. I used to enjoy taking a little from each entree.

Plus, it is now on the zoo-ish side, when you consider all kids anxious and excited to meet all of the princesses.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
They do not. 1900 Park Fare has Mary Poppins and a rotating group of other characters, but no princesses.

The only place to have breakfast (or any meal) with princesses is in the Castle or Akershus.
http://allears.net/menu/men_19d.htm

Cinderella appears at 1900 Park Fare for supper.. and is a princess in Disney marketing..

Mary Poppins is only Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare..

Picture package of approx $30 is for supper.. I'm not sure about the offerings for breakfast..
Old Aug 5, 2011, 7:15 am

Thank you. I completely forgot about that because it's really not marketed as a princess meal.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:33 am
Suspended

Oddly enough for us.. its easier to get into the Akershus, and a certain degree Cinderella's Castle (depending on the day), then it is for supper at 1900 Park Fare.. Reservations were jammed packed, and we were very lucky to get that reservation.. located at the Grand Floridian
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:55 pm

There are some seriously bad suggestions in this thread.

First, Luma and The Ravenous Pig in Winter Park are the two best restaurants in Orlando. They are both out of the way from "the attractions" and Convention Center, but worth the drive if you're a foodie.

Somebody mentioned Le Coq Au Vin as being in the Top 5... maybe if it was still 1983. Food has changed. Le Coq Au Vin hasn't. It was once a fine restaurant. It is now a tired and dated dinosaur.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:39 pm
Suspended

In terms of Walt Disney World at the theme park.. the two french restaurants are rated quite highly with Theme Park Insiders (consistently top 2)..

We've dined at the fine french restaurant Bistro de Paris.. Excellent..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.