Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Not Michelin Restaurant In NOLA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I’ve lived in New Orleans my whole life...
Sometime back in the '80s a reporter for either WWL or WDSU (can't recall which) was interviewing the then mayor of Thibodaux. The reporter asked the mayor if he'd lived in Thibodaux his whole life. His (very Cajun accented, of course) response was "Not yet."
swag likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by aww3583
Upperline is one of our go-to old-school, not too fancy, but not too shabby restaurants.

We tried Neyow last time we were in town, based on review. It was terrible.

Coquette is a good recommendation from a previous poster. Delachaise on St. Charles is a good spot for a quiet meal, too.
I love Upperline (their gumbo is the best I have ever had). Coquette is also fabulous. Delachaise, however, is the LOUDEST restaurant I can possibly think of. It is positively deafening in there. There is another place by the same owners called Chais Delachaise, 7708 Maple St., which is a great neighborhood place with a much nicer atmosphere, for grown-ups at least.

I like Neyow’s but it is not fancy food and you have to be in the right frame of mind to eat things like fried fish in giant portions. I wish I could try their char-grilled oysters, but alas, oysters are the one food that does not agree with me.

My absolute best meal in New Orleans in the last year was at Maypop. The OP would probably turn up his/her nose at it because it is, in fact, extremely creative renditions of beloved local ingredients rather than old standards, but my God it is good.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by travelmad478

I love Upperline (their gumbo is the best I have ever had). Coquette is also fabulous. Delachaise, however, is the LOUDEST restaurant I can possibly think of. It is positively deafening in there. There is another place by the same owners called Chais Delachaise, 7708 Maple St., which is a great neighborhood place with a much nicer atmosphere, for grown-ups at least.

I like Neyow’s but it is not fancy food and you have to be in the right frame of mind to eat things like fried fish in giant portions. I wish I could try their char-grilled oysters, but alas, oysters are the one food that does not agree with me.

My absolute best meal in New Orleans in the last year was at Maypop. The OP would probably turn up his/her nose at it because it is, in fact, extremely creative renditions of beloved local ingredients rather than old standards, but my God it is good.
We've must have been to two different Delichaises. I'm talking about the quiet little hole in the wall on Garden St. near Tuoro. I've sat at the bar and had a burger, I've sat outside and had apps and bourbon. Each time has been quiet, comfortable, and relaxed.

Neyow's was laughably bad. They were out of the special, out of kid's drinks, and they don't serve sweet tea. The service was slow and it was so loud you couldn't hear across the table.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Okay this is a late ask. Will be in New Orleans tonight and Tuesday night.
staying at Marriott on Canal St tonight and Renaissance in CBD Tuesday.
Good restaurants within walking distance? Don’t care what kind of food. Trying to do low carb -ish , so Po Boys are out. Been to all the traditional favorites in the area, so no need to recommend those.
Any suggestions? Trying to avoid Ubering. Willing to walk a couple miles though, so even lower garden district is in play.
Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Okay this is a late ask. Will be in New Orleans tonight and Tuesday night.
staying at Marriott on Canal St tonight and Renaissance in CBD Tuesday.
Good restaurants within walking distance? Don’t care what kind of food. Trying to do low carb -ish , so Po Boys are out. Been to all the traditional favorites in the area, so no need to recommend those.
Any suggestions? Trying to avoid Ubering. Willing to walk a couple miles though, so even lower garden district is in play.
Thanks!
Within a half mile or so of your hotels, my current favorites are :
Maypop (open daily)
Palm & Pine ( closed Tues)
Pelican Club (closed Tues)

Also consider Gianna, GW Fins (both open daly)
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
Within a half mile or so of your hotels, my current favorites are :
Maypop (open daily)
Palm & Pine ( closed Tues)
Pelican Club (closed Tues)

Also consider Gianna, GW Fins (both open daly)
I’ll add Sylvain to this list.

One thing I love about Palm & Pine is that often I look at the menu and nothing jumps out at me, but I always end up having a great meal. If you’re solo, I recommend sitting at the chefs’ counter.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, appreciate it…including days open!
ETA:
Chefs counter at Palm & Pine look perfect for tonight.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Jan 8, 2023 at 9:26 am
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also Doris Metropolitan for high and (and expensive) steak, and Irene’s for superb Italian (but check the menu to see about the carbs!) Both are closed on Monday.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Also Doris Metropolitan for high and (and expensive) steak, and Irene’s for superb Italian (but check the menu to see about the carbs!) Both are closed on Monday.
Doris is a bit out of my price range for this trip (solo work trip) but I can find carb friendly-ish stuff at Irene’s. (They are closed today too.)
So Palm & Pine tonight and too many choices Tuesday. Maybe appetizers at multiple ones.
Thanks again!
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GfL
Maypop is my hands down favorite in this area. Peche is also a good option.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Maypop is my hands down favorite in this area. Peche is also a good option.
Peche is great. I have eaten there before.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:32 pm

Justine - dinner
Meril - dinner
Herbsaint - lunch or dinner
St James Cheese - (Warehouse Dist. location) lunch
Cochon Butcher - lunch or dinner

I’ll stop now. 😆
pbiflyer and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the chefs counter was full, so at the bar at Palm&Pine. Smells delicious. Would never have found this without ya’lls help even though I love off the beaten path.
Celebrating dry January by drinking their Just One match since it’s for charity and all. 🤣

swag, travelmad478, Blumie and 2 others like this.

Last edited by pbiflyer; Jan 8, 2023 at 7:33 pm
Old Jan 10, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
So the chefs counter was full, so at the bar at Palm&Pine. Smells delicious. Would never have found this without ya’lls help even though I love off the beaten path.
Celebrating dry January by drinking their Just One match since it’s for charity and all. 🤣
Waiting for the full report ….
Old Jan 10, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Certainly agree on Cochon Butcher and Peche. Peche is great for oysters (raw). If you're in the quarter, I do like the Court of Two Sisters for lunch or dinner. Enjoy!
Hoyaheel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.